Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/6/2010 10:33:30 AM EDT
My dad has always used rem oil on the BCG and grease on the shiny metal. I have heard here that that's not the way to go. Most here, from my recollection, use CLP (I've never used it).

I bought some CLP yesterday, since that's what arfcom normally uses if I recall correctly. So, how do I use it? How much do I apply? Do I only apply it to wear points, use it sparingly or do I just soak the upper like a hot chick at a wet tshirt contest?

Just want to make sure. I need this rifle to work.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:37:21 AM EDT
I use MGL
I also have a bottle of Slip 2000 EWL i havent used yet.

I generally lube the entire BCG, a few drops on the FCG and on the inside of the upper.
Sloppy wet, but not dripping.
GTG
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:39:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2010 10:44:01 AM EDT by fmfcorpsman]
All we use in my unit is CLP and all I have ever seen in the Navy and USMC is CLP. A few guys use Rem oil spray out of ease of application. Most guys just rack the bolt back and squirt or spray lube in the upper receiver and cycle the bolt a few times. I am weird and use a foam brush, one of those 20 cent ones you get at the hardware store, and use either Rem Oil or CLP and give the BCG, upper receiver and chamber a thin coat. After a decent amount of rounds shot, I re apply a few drops of oil to the side of the BCG and keep rolling. It is pretty dang wet when I get done lubing.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:44:37 AM EDT
Some reading for you...Link
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:49:26 AM EDT
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?1606-AR15-LUBE-POINTS
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:52:26 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:00:45 AM EDT
Well, I decided to hose it down. I kept the chamber/bolt face dry. The carrier got a coat, the upper without the charging got a coat, the upper with the charging handle got a coat, and the bolt got a very generous coat where it fits in the carrier.

The rifle is now very wet, and the action operates very smoothly, more so than my dad's rifle with rem oil. So I'm happy with this, and shall continue to do this. There is a little lube "bleeding" from the upper/lower and trigger area (I put a few drops in the trigger/hammer engagement surfaces.)

Hopefully I can give this thing a test spin in the next few weeks and let yall know how it works.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:04:06 AM EDT
I used CLP when I had my AR. Used it to clean and lube. Sometimes I would just pull the BCG back, drip or spray in some CLP and run the gun for another 300 or more rounds. When I took it apart I lubed up the entire BCG (most of the time without even taking the BCG apart), put a little on the charging handle and the upper. Periodically I lubed the pins in the lower, the bolt catch, etc. Most of the time I did it too much, with excess lube coming out between the upper and lower
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:06:15 AM EDT
Does it make sense to have a cleaner in the same bottle as the lube and protectant? It sure doesn't make sense to me either. I use Hoppes #9 for cleaning, and LP by Breakfree for lube and protectant. Most don't know that they sell it in a LP formula but they do. Works for me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:08:57 PM EDT
U can't over lube an AR. Any excess gets blasted out the 1st shot.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:14:43 PM EDT
SLiP EWL or Sprinco MGL
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:28:30 PM EDT
Generously lube it I use Slip2000 EWL on the DI ARs and for the piston ARs I use the slip2000 grease..I keep it in the family..slip to me is the best and ive used it allThe AR will run filthy and wet.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:52:48 PM EDT
I use CLP. I clean the thing with it, wipe it down well, then keep the FCG and BCG well coated with it. I also ensure the steel parts get some distributed over them. When building an AR, I use Tetra grease on the FCG pins, and sometimes I'll put a tiny bit on the FCG parts as well, but grease in an AR collects a lot of crud, so it has to be done VERY sparingly.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:52:05 PM EDT
Rem oil is great for the lower, just flush it out and remove any excess and it will evaporate leaving just the right amount of lube. It is worthless for the upper as it will burn off quickly once you begin firing the weapon. Break free works great as long as you keep applying it over time as it migrates and evaporates. I usually reapply it weakly and after several times it begans to leave a good coating of lube that won't burn off to fast when finally shoot. The cam pin and gas rings seem to be what takes the most heat and dry off while firing and are the main friction points causing sluggish action problems so I make sure those areas are good and wet before shooting. The most important criteria for the upper lube is its ability to take the heat of the hot gas blast cycling the action without burning off.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:20:43 AM EDT
Take whatever oil you have and squirt it on the BCG. Simple as that.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:28:37 AM EDT
Breakfree CLP or SLIP/EWL 2000
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:21:46 AM EDT
Originally Posted By fuzzy03cls:
U can't over lube an AR. Any excess gets blasted out the 1st shot.

QFT.
And usually all over my glasses too.
For the record I'm a CLP guy too
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:31:04 AM EDT
I've found that if people can't understand what needs lube and how much lube to put there, the best course of action is to just douse the BCG in lube and let the rifle spew the extra out on the first couple shots. On the other hand, knowing where to lube, and how much to apply, lets you use only as much lube as the rifle really needs, which saves you money and keeps you from being sprayed with lube when you fire the rifle.

Personally, I use Gun Butter and while there's a film coating on the non-contact surfaces of the BCG I don't douse the whole thing as there's no point in over-lubing the part of the BCG that doesn't actually touch anything. I do lube the 4 rails the carrier rides on, and the cam pin, the ejector, and the extractor pin. I also put some lube on the front and back of the lugs. A drop or two on the wear surfaces on the charging handle rounds out the lube I use on the upper.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:40:20 AM EDT
I doused the back of the lugs and anything else that showed signs of wear. I'm sure it's good to go now.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:58:32 PM EDT
Find the USMC manual for photos of the lube points and amounts to apply. At the last Department Carbine course I observed the different lubes that were being used and after 500 rounds the only BCGs that were still wet were the ones using CLP and MACHINE GUNNERS LUBE. No one was using slip 2000 or Gun Butter so I can only vouch for what I saw. Rem Lube and Outers were dry after 200 rounds. Just my .02. M4QUADRAIL
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:17:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By RangerJoe11:
SWAT Article

This is what I do and I use Slip 2000 EWL. It is much better than CLP.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:13:26 PM EDT
Originally Posted By M4quadrail:
Find the USMC manual for photos of the lube points and amounts to apply. At the last Department Carbine course I observed the different lubes that were being used and after 500 rounds the only BCGs that were still wet were the ones using CLP and MACHINE GUNNERS LUBE. No one was using slip 2000 or Gun Butter so I can only vouch for what I saw. Rem Lube and Outers were dry after 200 rounds. Just my .02. M4QUADRAIL

I'm curious where machine gunners lube is available?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:06:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 7:07:58 PM EDT by Maxwell600]
Honestly, when i run mine wet, I have problems. No wetness for me.
EDIT: BUTTTT it's not dry. So dont freak the fuck out arfcom :P
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:56:11 PM EDT
Mobil "1" on all the sliding parts & wheel bearing grease on the back of the lugs.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:21:15 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DTHN2LGS:
Originally Posted By RangerJoe11:
SWAT Article

This is what I do and I use Slip 2000 EWL. It is much better than CLP.

Outstanding article and very good advice. Where you put the lube is more important that what lube you use, as long as you don't run critical parts dry. The lube is to eliminate or reduce friction/wear. I have tried shooting guns dry, and the problem is when they get hot and dirty, the friction increases and all you get is more rapid wear and a less reliable firearm. I have used Tetra lubes but Slip 2000 is getting very good press and it is worth trying, as I am now. I haven't tried synthetic motor oil like Mobil 1 yet, but I will because it is a requirement for most very expensive engines in very expensive cars. Good luck and experiment.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:26:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2010 10:27:09 AM EDT by CTbuilder1]
Remoil doesn't belong anywhere near an AR15. Keep the greese away too.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:27:08 PM EDT
A range buddy (relatively new AR shooter) was blasting away with his AR then started to have problems about 150 rounds in. I was picking up some brass when I hear, "Bang", rack CH, "Bang", rack CH,... He says, "It must be overheated...it's only shooting one round at a time. I guess I'm done for the day."

No way.

I pulled the BCG out and sure enough it was dry and filthy. Hit it with a generous amount of Slip2000 EWL and he was right back in the game.

He can clean that puppy on his own.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:37:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By JW1069:
A range buddy (relatively new AR shooter) was blasting away with his AR then started to have problems about 150 rounds in. I was picking up some brass when I hear, "Bang", rack CH, "Bang", rack CH,... He says, "It must be overheated...it's only shooting one round at a time. I guess I'm done for the day."

No way.

I pulled the BCG out and sure enough it was dry and filthy. Hit it with a generous amount of Slip2000 EWL and he was right back in the game.

He can clean that puppy on his own.

Good example... The guys you THINK are experts aren't always... Knowledge is power....

it's not about WHAT lube.... it;s about when.. How much and where.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:56:57 PM EDT
So long as you are generous the Slip, MGL, CLP are all top notch. I have a slight edge towards the MGL as a pure lubricant but the CLP is a great all around product. If applied liberaly all will do.
In my stay put for long periods of time truck guns the MGL has been my prefrence.
Top Top