Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2009 12:01:42 PM EDT
in your guys opinion who makes the most precise trigger with no extra travel or pull weight. im going to be shooting high grain ammo for 200+ yard shots out of a sabre SS barrel.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 12:08:53 PM EDT
properly tuned JP
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 12:13:11 PM EDT
Heard lots o good on Geissele's.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 12:15:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/26/2009 12:19:08 PM EDT by GearHead_1]
JP or a Geissele, neither would be a mistake. Have and like both. Tried my hand at tuning mil-spec factory triggers recently (did one this morning), I've had what I consider to be very good results at a fraction of the price.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 12:26:27 PM EDT
i now feel that the jewell is superior to the JP.  I have both.  That is just my 2cents for what it is worth.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 12:28:23 PM EDT
i was looking at the Geissele's. some sight had them and you get all three springs with it free.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 12:32:03 PM EDT
Originally Posted By GearHead_1:
JP or a Geissele, neither would be a mistake. Have and like both. Tried my hand at tuning mil-spec factory triggers recently (did one this morning), I've had what I consider to be very good results at a fraction of the price.

This was the route I was going to try first, what method did you use?

On day, I will get a JP myself, they are amazing; however, all that money right now is being directed to buying ammo and the last of the lowers I need.

only going to build 2 more rifles and 1 more pistol.  FOR REAL.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 12:38:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By WolfTrack:
properly tuned JP

...although, in my own doggin' rig, I use a Territorial Gunsmiths lower and run a standard hammer/trigger paired with JP springs.  Using the rear take up screw, it makes a better than decent trigger (saving me money for more ammo).

I've installed and tuned plenty of JP's in other rifles to appreciate them though...
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 12:50:27 PM EDT
don't know if you have ruled out a two-stage but my RRA trigger does a good job for me.

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 1:00:52 PM EDT
i dont plan on shooting this rifle as much as my m4. but i have about 600rnds for it already black hills blue box 68gr hpbt that i paid wait for it wait for it $7 a box haha. bought all that was there. so the money i saved on that and the fact i dont need ammo for it i figured id put into a GREAT trigger.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 1:52:38 PM EDT
Originally Posted By coconut1:

JP spring kit (@$10), stoned and polished surfaces (much more polishing than stoning, very little metal removed), polished pins, molylube. Clean break at 4.25 lbs. I actually replaced the fish scale with an RCBS trigger scale about 2 weeks ago. I think it's reasonably accurate. This mil-spec trigger broke cleanly but at over 9 lbs. was pretty sad. I did this one for my friend and he wanted me to duplicate the speed hammer look of one of my JP triggers. I haven't had the need to reduce the mass of the trigger on the others I've done but thought I would try my hand to accommodate his wish. It looked pretty darn good if I do say so myself (patting myself on the back). I don't honestly know if he benefited in anyway taking this extra step. I've seen several that have commented on this saying the reduced mass helped with the reduced power springs on hard primers. I can't confirm this.

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:56:01 PM EDT

JP spring kit (@$10), stoned and polished surfaces (much more polishing than stoning, very little metal removed), polished pins, molylube. Clean break at 4.25 lbs. I actually replaced the fish scale with an RCBS trigger scale about 2 weeks ago. I think it's reasonably accurate. This mil-spec trigger broke cleanly but at over 9 lbs. was pretty sad. I did this one for my friend and he wanted me to duplicate the speed hammer look of one of my JP triggers. I haven't had the need to reduce the mass of the trigger on the others I've done but thought I would try my hand to accommodate his wish. It looked pretty darn good if I do say so myself (patting myself on the back). I don't honestly know if he benefited in anyway taking this extra step. I've seen several that have commented on this saying the reduced mass helped with the reduced power springs on hard primers. I can't confirm this.

Where did you pick up the jp springs, just their website?    I am getting ready to start polishing my parts tonight but hadn't decided which or what springs to get yet.  I have managed to do pretty well with my budget build up SPR; however, it also has a 9lb trigger and I would sure like to bring that down some  :D  Had a friend with a jp, got me all spoiled.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:05:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By zutmeloda2003:

i was looking at the Geissele's. some sight had them and you get all three springs with it free.
Geissele is certainly top shelf kit: great trigger.

IIRC Ranier offers the Geissele with springs for setting up Service, DMR, and Match trigger weights.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:54:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/27/2009 6:54:31 AM EDT by GearHead_1]

Where did you pick up the jp springs, just their website?    I am getting ready to start polishing my parts tonight but hadn't decided which or what springs to get yet.  I have managed to do pretty well with my budget build up SPR; however, it also has a 9lb trigger and I would sure like to bring that down some  :D  Had a friend with a jp, got me all spoiled.
Brownells, but I've seen them several places for the same price.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:43:39 AM EDT
Well, didn't have the patience to wait for the springs, but I took my milspec trigger, got my dremel out and polished the shit out of it after using a emory wheel to smooth the metal a bit.

trigger meter says 4.7lbs and the pre travel is much lighter and smoother now.   Took about 15 minutes, 20 if you include dis/assemble.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:01:29 AM EDT

Is there hope of instruction here?  Those of us who are building on the cheap side could use that kind of help.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:05:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/27/2009 10:07:05 AM EDT by ChupecabraChaser]
I have the JP Tactical fire control kit with the low mass hammer on one of my guns.  I installed it and tuned it after watching the DVD sent with it....it took a little bit of patience but I like the results.  In all honesty, if you are going to do anything aside from shooting it on the bench, the tactical option is as light as I would go.

My understanding (why I went with the tactical in the first place) is that the "recreational" fire control kit that has a lighter trigger pull has had issues with misfires on some (not all) military surplus ammo that has harder primers.

Please, for your sake, don't grind on your fire control group with a Dremmel....polishing lightly is OK.  Grinding is dangerous.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:19:08 AM EDT
other than cost , how come no one mentions any drop ins like mc cormick, or timney

i have a timney 3lb and it breaks like glass for me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:40:45 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BMGisbetter:
other than cost , how come no one mentions any drop ins like mc cormick, or timney

i have a timney 3lb and it breaks like glass for me.

A local shop has a timney trigger in one of their builds and one of the owners let me feel the pull on the timney 3lb (non-skelotonized) trigger.  All I can say is WOW!  I've never felt any trigger besides the one that came in my RRA standard LPK so I only have that to compare it too.  But that sold me on the trigger.  Very crisp break and such a small pull and reset.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:13:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By CPOret:

Is there hope of instruction here?  Those of us who are building on the cheap side could use that kind of help.
I'm sorry but I don't do the picture thing. I do think the AGI video is a reasonable investment if you have any intention of doing more than one trigger. The example trigger used in this particular video is pretty extreme. The ones I've worked on have required only a fraction of the stoning and polishing.

Top Top