Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/1/2003 2:11:01 PM EDT
I'm considering the purchase of a Colt 9mm carbine preban but here's the catch: the serial no. is TA 111--, obviously a law enforcement gun given the last preban no. is TA 10100, right? But the seller claims that although this gun was sold by Colt after 9/14/94, it was manufactured prior to that date making it legal for civillian ownership.

Is this story legitimate or is the sale of this gun a felony waiting to happen? I have a feeling my dealer wouldn't touch this transfer with a 10 foot pole.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#1]
As I understand it a civilian cannot own an LEO marked receiver.  As far as the manufacture date vs the sale date, if the gun was manufactured in a pre-ban configuation (such as with a collaspible stock or with a pre-ban upper)prior to the "ban" and has never been sold in a post ban configuation it would legally be considered a pre-ban.

There is a Legal Forum in the General Discussion section.  You may get better, more authoritative opinions there.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 4:05:31 PM EDT
[#2]
There is no statute that makes possession of a "law enforcement" marked gun illegal. If the gun was assembled into an assault before the ban was passed, it is legal.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 4:10:35 PM EDT
[#3]
That's my understanding too. If it's a LEO marked preban it can still be owned by us little people and you can keep the evil features. If it has a postban mfg date then it must be 'exorcised' to get the evil parts off of it. The LEO markings have no bearing on pre-post status to a civillian, only the date of mfg.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:53:26 PM EDT
[#4]
You can't have this weapon. Colt put out a bunch of LEOnly restricted post ban assault rifles that were not marked.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:47:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I called Colt to check the serial no. and David you're right on the money. Colt says they sold some AR's (with the evil parts) after the AWB without a law enforcement stamp but are still restricted and not legal for civillian ownership. Colt ran the serial no. and this is one of those guns.
The seller says this adds to its "mystique" and makes this weapon more "collectable"...uh, nice try. I guess there are hundreds of guns like this out there -buyer beware!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top