Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/6/2004 7:02:34 AM EST
does anyone know if i can take a postban rra 16" rifle and remove the factory-installed, permanently mounted pseudo-flash hider/noise enhancer gizmo off the end of the barrel?

is this something i should try myself with a hacksaw, or should i take the gun to a competent gunsmith and have him chop the thing off the barrel and re-crown it? i have 2 16" rifles, and the noise enhancer on the rock river makes in the loudest son of a gun in the safe. absolutely painful to shoot in the field w/o hearing protection.

i'd actually consider putting a can on the rifle if i could get that contraption cut off and the barrel threaded or otherwise altered to accept a silencer.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:16:46 AM EST
Take to a gunsmith.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:13:15 AM EST
Hacksaw won't do, you need a dremel with a dozen cutting wheels. Find out where the brake is blind pinned, remove the pins and you're good to go.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:13:29 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/6/2004 9:14:26 AM EST by Offspring]
I did it, and it was real easy:

jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=199258

Hacksaw won't do, you need a dremel with a dozen cutting wheels. Find out where the brake is blind pinned, remove the pins and you're good to go

I used one reinforced cutting wheel, and it didn't take long, the cutting wheel is still good too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:09:23 AM EST
All you need is a Dremel (I am still having fun with this little gadget, to bad I have to turn it in tomorrow, ) and a Reinforced Cut-Off Wheel (426). It comes in a package of five but you just need one.
Take your time grinding little by little and at some point you will see the pins.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:24:47 PM EST
Sweet, I have many dremel assessories, now one more use to prove it was "needed".
Top Top