Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2010 12:32:54 AM EDT
I was curious to know the durability of np3 coating. I own a pof upper and I noticed that the coating rubs off fairly easily when metal on metal contact (bsg, charging handle). This is generally what happens with any type of finishes? I'm not saying it will last forever, but I have about a few hundred rds and it's already coming off.  
I brought this up because I was reading about fire arm finishes on the lwrci ferritic nitrocarburizing and other types of finishes.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 10:52:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I love Np3 so much I had my m16 lower coated with it.  I also haven't had any issues with it coming off.  LWRCi has some good finishes as well.
I have three of their rifles, no problem with any of their finishes.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 3:23:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I like the np3 coat. I think the color is nice but i'm showing some wear on my bsg and charging handle. I'm kind of surprised that the finish is scraping off so soon.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 3:38:04 AM EDT
[#3]
NP3 should show almost no wear.

Post pics!
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#4]
i will try to post some pics tonight or tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 6:23:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Post pics!

Not my experience at all, NP3 while slick is not a very hardy or durable finish it will scrape off and will wear at friction areas, the good thing is the part still has teflon to assist in lubricity.

Had an NP3 coated 226 and the finish does come off and wear, where my slide would rub the holster on holstering/reholstering  the nice matte silvery finish was worn off within 6 months.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 10:46:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Here are the pics of my BSG and charging handle. I would assume there would be some wear but like i said I only have a few hundred rds through my pof. It's not like i cycle my charging handle constantly. I haven't taken any carbine classes. I'm only a casual shooter and not some hard core shooter.
Some people said they haven't had any of the np3 coating scrapping off. I would love to see some pics.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 2:41:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I would say it might rub shiny, but not scrape off, but it sure looks like it. My brother's POF shows zero wear after notably more rounds than that. I'd call POF.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 10:32:33 PM EDT
[#8]
The BCG looks pretty normal to me - electroless nickel will wear on contact points - but it appears that there is an issue with the charging handle.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 1:34:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Post pics!

Not my experience at all, NP3 while slick is not a very hardy or durable finish it will scrape off and will wear at friction areas, the good thing is the part still has teflon to assist in lubricity.

Had an NP3 coated 226 and the finish does come off and wear, where my slide would rub the holster on holstering/reholstering  the nice matte silvery finish was worn off within 6 months.

This is what I was told by the lady at Robar said when I took a friend's bolt in to show her what we thought was the finish wearing off. She said it will get shiny on from friction but that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't still there and working properly. That being said they did refinish the bolt for free anyway.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:53:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Like i said before i really like the np3 color but the durability is not the greatest. I will give pof a call and see what they can do.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 7:47:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top