Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2004 5:43:52 PM EDT
Hi guys, Can you please post pictures of AR carbines or M4's with the Optics (Aimpoint, EO-tech, reflex etc.)
mounted via a cantileverd rail on the A2 handle. What mount is needed to co-witness with iron sights? and in terms of appearance, won't the handguard area look "cluttered"? I have an A2 upper and  i am planning to mount an optical sight.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#1]
There is no way that an optic mounted on the carry handle with a cantlever will be able to cowitness.  You would need one mount to make the rails on the top of the carry handle, and then the optic in a cantlever.  It would put the scope a good 6-8 inches about the plane of the barrel.  

What I think you are talking about is a scout mount that connects to the carry handle but puts the scope out over the handguards.  I have yet to see one that allowed co-witnessing.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea.  What PSYWAR1-0 said.  Go flat top.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:50:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I think he meant gooseneck mount.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:00:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I didn't care for the gooseneck mount and decided on forearm rails instead. It cowitnesses perfectly.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:11:13 PM EDT
[#5]
The rifle on the left has an Aimpoint Gooseneck and Railgrabber (QRP). This is military issue for the A2 and cowitnesses perfectly.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's an Olympic PCR-9 with a Busnell holosight on a PRI mount:

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:38:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
There is no way that an optic mounted on the carry handle with a cantlever will be able to cowitness.  You would need one mount to make the rails on the top of the carry handle, and then the optic in a cantlever.  It would put the scope a good 6-8 inches about the plane of the barrel.  

What I think you are talking about is a scout mount that connects to the carry handle but puts the scope out over the handguards.  I have yet to see one that allowed co-witnessing.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:29:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a cantilever style mount (and Aimpoint clone)on my M4gery when I had the A2 upper. I had a YHM 4-rail fft which is where I mounted it, and it cowitnessed in the lower portion of the scope...Same concept as the gooseneck, just a bit lower.

I opted against it on my SIR bi-level as the standard mount co witnesses perfectly on the lower portion...

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:48:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Go with a flattop.  You won't regret it.  A receiver swap is pretty easy to do.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

<snipped>

I opted against it on my SIR bi-level as the standard mount co witnesses perfectly on the lower portion...

Archangel6, is that a 58MOD?

Rich
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top