Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2004 3:02:12 PM EDT
I purchased a $49.00 coll. stock from "model 1" there is some play in the stock" up and down movement . in all positions. I believe this is effecting  my shot groups. Is this a problem with this type of stock ,or do I need to invest in a better one ?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:04:25 PM EDT
[#1]
All collapsible stocks, excepting the Mag Pul, have play. How much varies by make and model.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#2]
RRA ones a pretty snug.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:51:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Vltor and while technically it moves.... It is so minimal that the movement is nowhere near what  would affect shot groups.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:15:13 PM EDT
[#4]
One of mine is a Bushmaster, which is really a Rock River, which is really a ..... Well anyway, not a rattle at all, nice and tight!!!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is what you can do to eliminate that rattle and at the same time tighten it up a bit. Take the stock apart and put several strips of electrical tape on the buffer tube, one on each side. I placed/cut it so it couldn't be seen when open. You can decide where and how much. It acts like a rubber insulator. I have had mine on for four years without it coming lose. It has a nice solid sound. Give it a try, doesn't cost but a few cents.

Rats  
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Since it's a cheap stock here's a better method that really works.

Take the plastic stock off the buffer tube by pulling the lever out instead of squeezing it like you usually do.

Now take a pair of vice grips and bend the thin aluminum ribs at the very bottom of the tube outwards SLIGHTLY, it takes very little, go slow, on both sides, at the fourth and last holes(half and fully open positions) should be enough. You can use some tape to protect the finish or just  don't do it forward of the point the stock covers when fully open, you don't have to to get it tight anyway.

I had a stock that rattled BADLY and it's solid now.

Got that tip here, don't remember who to credit.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:24:10 AM EDT
[#7]
My RRA 6 position has some play...not much, but more than I'd like.  No biggy for me, as I'm not benching it or anything like that.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:54:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I purchased a $49.00 coll. stock from "model 1" there is some play in the stock" up and down movement . in all positions. I believe this is effecting  my shot groups. Is this a problem with this type of stock ,or do I need to invest in a better one ?

Buy a $49 collapsible stock and your surprised you've got some play?

Telestocks + Carbines are not intended for 'precision work' - if you want precision then look to a 'space stock' (competative rifles/varminters) or get a Magpul.

One thing you can do to help stabilize the stock is when you put it in your shoulder  do it at a slight angle then twist the rifle a bit.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:36:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:01:10 AM EDT
[#10]
$50 stock + $1 electrical tape = $50 no rattle stock and $150 worth of ammo
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:03:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:17:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey Forest, I never said I was surprised that MY $49.00 stock had play.I was wondering if this was a common problem. Thanks to all for the tips..........
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top