Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2006 10:56:33 PM EDT
Anyone have pictures comparing a chrome-moly barrel to a chrome-lined? How hard is it to tell by inspection that a barrel is chrome-lined?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:06:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Hard chrome is shiny, chrome moly isn't as shiny... I cant get a non-blurry pic. The bbl markings are a much safer way to tell the difference.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:54:30 PM EDT
[#2]
what brand/kind of barrel do you have?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:16:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Most barrels that have ALOT of chrome are packaged with free ground effects lighting.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:51:59 AM EDT
[#4]
If the barrels are brand new, you can see the chrome (an obvious white metal at the crown of the barrel and sometimes in the chamber).  But after they have a few rounds through them, it's harder to see.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:15:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks!

I don't have any barrels, I was just wondering. I'm in the process of a first build and I was thinking RRA, I just wanted to make sure when I order I can actually tell whether or not what they send me is chrome-lined or not, since they sell regular chrome-moly barrels in addition to chrome-lined.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks!

I don't have any barrels, I was just wondering. I'm in the process of a first build and I was thinking RRA, I just wanted to make sure when I order I can actually tell whether or not what they send me is chrome-lined or not, since they sell regular chrome-moly barrels in addition to chrome-lined.

I wondered the same thing when I ordered my upper.  STag only offers chrome-lined I think though, so I'm not gonna worry about it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:52:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If the barrels are brand new, you can see the chrome (an obvious white metal at the crown of the barrel and sometimes in the chamber).  But after they have a few rounds through them, it's harder to see.

My new Bushmaster barrels did not have that ring around the muzzle, but it was clearly chrome lined. My PS90 barrel had that ring though.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top