BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/5/2005 2:37:25 PM EDT
I took this doe with one of my m4's.  Shot with a win 64 grn power point bullet at 80 yards.  This shows how much damage the 5.56 can be with soft point bullets.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2005 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#1]
+1 for soft points

Screw the Hague Convention on humane warfare.  As a civilian I use what is applicable to my home and personal/family defence. I'm not a battlefield soldier.
www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/lawofwar/hague02.htm
In referance to Article 23 stating not to "To employ arms, projectiles, or material of a nature to cause superfluous injury"

Hollow points in my handgun as well...
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 4:00:28 PM EDT
[#2]
AR_mcadams "you done good". I too shoot the deer with the AR, count is 18 so far. Have never lost a wounded animal with the .223. Longest shot was a 180 yard neck shot, dropped like a ton of bricks.

You look to be military. If you are, I really appreciate what you are doing for our country. The best to you.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 4:01:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks very nice. Similar to my .270. Then again, I used 150gr. powerpoints this year.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 4:11:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Great quality pics. Good hunt.

Im Gettin Hungry!
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 4:33:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
+1 for soft points

Screw the Hague Convention on humane warfare.  As a civilian I use what is applicable to my home and personal/family defence. I'm not a battlefield soldier.
www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/lawofwar/hague02.htm
In referance to Article 23 stating not to "To employ arms, projectiles, or material of a nature to cause superfluous injury"

Hollow points in my handgun as well...

we never signed it...never,  nice kill bud, very nice, and thanks for showing pics, now maybe the naysayers will cork it when they see the damage that the 223 can do, I doubt it, but hopefuly
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:28:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like it jacked up one of his lungs pretty good.

Did he drop or run awhile?
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:29:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Gloves?
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:39:25 PM EDT
[#8]
This thread is clearly a lie.  Everyone knows you can't hunt with them thar assault rifles no way no how...

P.S. Good shooting, clean kill.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:39:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Gloves?

His hands didn't look cold to me
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:50:36 PM EDT
[#10]
The .223 is still illegal to hunt deer with in many states so the naysayers will never go away.

CRC
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#11]
the doe ran about 25 to 30 yards.  It wasent very cold, here in TX it hasent been very cold all winter.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 7:04:36 PM EDT
[#12]
You hunt in camo?

Can you say 'shoot me'?
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 7:08:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Was that a handload or commercial ammo? I found the bullets but no loaded ammo.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 7:12:04 PM EDT
[#14]
You hunt in camo?

Can you say 'shoot me'?

DP we all hunt in camo, except when hunting on type II land (land leased by Texas for hunter to use for a small cost).  I don't own any hunter orange.

Link Posted: 1/5/2005 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#15]
So where is th pic of the outside of the deer. Good shooting by the way.  Ya wear orange up here or ya end up full of holes.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 7:19:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Wow. You'd get shot for sure up here in Minnesota.

Of course, in Wisconsin, you'd get shot just for telling someone to get out of your stand...

Blaze Orange is required by law here.

Dave

Link Posted: 1/5/2005 7:43:49 PM EDT
[#17]
for the most part I dont hunt out of a deer stand, I like to stalk or get down next to a tree or bush, so I ware camo.  Now deer cant see in color, but the camo breaks up the hunters outline, and in TX we dont ware orange.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Was that a handload or commercial ammo? I found the bullets but no loaded ammo.

I get them from gunshows I go to.  Winchester makes them. They are  commercial loads.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 9:06:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
for the most part I dont hunt out of a deer stand, I like to stalk or get down next to a tree or bush, so I ware camo.  Now deer cant see in color, but the camo breaks up the hunters outline, and in TX we dont ware orange.

You must not value your life very much then.

ETA: Direct from from the 2004-2005 Texas DNR
Hunter Orange: No hunter orange is required while hunting on private property, but it is recommended. Public hunting lands require 400 square inches of daylight florescent orange with 144 square inches appearing on both chest and back, and daylight florescent orange headwear must be worn (see Public Hunting Lands).
www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/annual/hunt/general/

Anyone not hunting in orange is just plain stupid
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 9:32:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I should have added that I dont hunt on public land.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 9:35:54 PM EDT
[#21]
 F*ck hunter orange -- I've got a duffle bag full that I'll sell real cheap.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 9:37:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

we don't shoot at noises in the bushes, we actually wait to see if it's a deer
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 9:44:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Lets talk about the rifle, it is one of my (beater) guns, although I am not very rough with it.  A US Property marked RRA lower from Leagle Transfers, a J&T parts kit, a colt stock with h buffer, a LMT 1/7 chrome lined upper and a colt b/c/g.  Of corse the 4X acog on top.  Its a mixed breed but one of the most accurate ones I have and I built it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 10:53:34 PM EDT
[#24]
mcadams...

nice doe!  nice gun!  nice shot!  =)

I can't really see from your pictures though... what happend?  did you get entrance and exit holes?  if so what were their diameters?  Where exactly did you hit the dear?

I assume you have the 16" barrel correct?
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 11:03:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Where is the deer? All I see is meat that look like it was bought from Costco. Need more pics to really see the bullet performance.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 11:33:54 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm glad the power points do well. Because I just bought 2 box's for deer hunting.

I didn't get a chance to hunt with my AR this year. But I did take an 8 point with my MAK90. I took a bad shot on it and shot it in the front of the chest and it came out by its back legs. It bled to death slowly. The "hollow" point did not expand and it basically just punched a 7.62mm hole all the way through its body.

Bullet went a lot higher than I wanted it to.

I think my AR will do fine. Especially with the right bullets. Not to mention it is much much more accurate than my MAK ever thought about being. So if the crosshairs are on its heart thats were its going to go.

BTW the winchester power point plus are around 15-16$ a box. I had to have a local place order them for me. I shot a few with my scope and they shoot exactly the same as the winchester .223 white box ammo. Out to 100 yards anyways.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:07:31 AM EDT
[#27]
I didnt think about getting any pictures of the doe before I started cleaning it.  Most of the time the bullets go through but every now and then one will stop on the far side just under the skin if you hit a sholder bone.  I have killed several with the 223 and the entrance hole is allways the biggest,  I think its because the bullet is going so fast when it hits and it looses most of its speed by the time it gets through to the far side, that it does the most damage on the entrance hole.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:12:50 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hahahaha that's what i was thinking. everyone i know who hunts (not me) has a story about getting shot at even though they were wearing bright orange...seems NOT wearing orange will at least give you a fighting chance!
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:31:16 AM EDT
[#29]
To respond to the hunter orange hijack,
In Texas, 95% of all hunting is on private land. If I am in danger of being shot, someone is tresspassing.
Besides, don't you guys follow the 4 rules of safe firearms handling?

Rule 4
BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
You never shoot at anything until you have positively identified it. You never fire at a shadow, or a sound, or a suspected presence. You shoot only when you know absolutely what you are shooting at and what is beyond it.

(Back on topic) AR Mc, good hunting! I rerally like that round too.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:41:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Went hunting in Llano, TX mid December on private land.  Used a borrowed 30-06 Rem 700.  Wanted to use my MT6400C, but wasn't sure if I could.  Also did not know what my mag restrictions were.  After looking at www.tpwd.state.tx.us I now know that next years hunt will be alot more fun!
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:48:19 AM EDT
[#31]
no orange eh? lol...in Maine you'd be shot, gutted, and mounted on some hick's living room wall with a stupid look on your face!

Nice kill, what was the weight of that doe?  Or did I miss that detail somewhere above?

What twist is on that barrel too?  Nice gun btw.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:25:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Nice.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:35:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Nice.
You should have saw the looks I got when I took my FNFAL hunting on my uncles 80+ acres in MI.
It's a 17" para kit gun.
Hit the deer at about 60 yards or so.
Perfect side profile shot.
Got it in the head oddly enough.
It spooked and turned its' head to look behind itself right as I squeezed off the round.
Ruined it entirely.
Went through and even left one perfect hole in the rib cage.
It only penetrated about 3 inches or so into the torso.
My uncle asked if I double tapped it.
But, it did drop on the spot.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:19:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Scheel's sells both the 64 Grain Power Point and the Power Point Plus rounds.

Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:31:18 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I'm glad the power points do well. Because I just bought 2 box's for deer hunting.

I didn't get a chance to hunt with my AR this year.  

Same thing happened with me
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:09:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Good job!  On the camo issue.  I'd suggest wearing orange camo.  It will break up your outline just fine and other hunters will see you.  IIRC there was an accident recently where a father shot his son who was beyond the animal the father was shooting at.  The father didn't see his son because the son was wearing camo.  Tragic.  Yet sooo preventable.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

YOU might not, but what about the idiot that does? If you think its not a problem, then why is blaze orange required for many states?

being nieve will get you killed.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Next year I will definetly hunt with my AR...

I plan on having a 7.62x39 AR15 also. 154 grain soft points wouldn't be bad for some whitetail killing either
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:14:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Nice deer!
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:33:45 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

YOU might not, but what about the idiot that does? If you think its not a problem, then why is blaze orange required for many states?

being nieve will get you killed.

Why are hi-cap mags banned in many states? Just because it is a law, does not mean it makes sense. If you are on private land I wouldn't see any problems with wearing camo. Does that mean that if I go for a walk on my own wooded property I need to make sure I am perfectly visible, wearing orange or pink or bright yellow? If someone is not going to obey trespassing laws, then they probably aren't going to obey hunting laws either, or many laws for that matter.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:16:08 PM EDT
[#41]
I wont hijack this thread anymore.

I guess outdoors in the Stewart County and surrounding area of Georgia is much different than the rest of the country. Most of the land outside of a city is owned by farmers that lease their land to hunters from Florida and big cities, and it is not always leased to one group. Land can be big enough to lease to several hunting parties and they can be in and out at different times. Pretty much any private property will have hunters on it at some time around there. Ft. Benning is even worse.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:43:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Good clean kill, just goes to show that a .223 is more than capable.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:17:02 PM EDT
[#43]
I guess I'm responsible for initiating the hijack of this thread...

Sorry. hishere.

Regards all.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:11:32 PM EDT
[#44]
ORANGE in TEXAS - YOU WOULD BE LAUGHED OUT OF HERE..

Not much hunting on public land for most.
USUALLY ON PRIVATE LAND OWNED OR LEASED.

I usually go to the blind in blue jeans and a cammie top/hat.

I took a doe this year with AR also .
The bullet liquified the insides.

GREAT SHOT MY MAN.........
or as they say in ALABAMA - - YOU DUN GUD...
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:03:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Alrighty....now in what state is it legal to hunt with a 30 round magazine!!!????
it was my understanding that the legal size is 5 rds.
BTW,...please send jerky!!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:33:51 PM EDT
[#46]
I see a lot of blood clots around the heart, so I guess you got a lot of fragmentation from that bullet as well. Powerpoint Plus is considered one of the better rounds for waxing crooks and vermin, so I'm not that surprised about its effects.

That aside, I would really encourage you to wear gloves while digging into a dear. I'm not worried about CJD as much as I'm worried about Hepatitis or another virus or bacterium that could get into a break in your skin. It's really nothing to be macho about.

Also, wear orange. Screw what Texans say about it. Remember, Texans also gave us Walker Texas Ranger, and ran scared shitless to the US Federal Govt. when the Mexican Army ran across the border in the 1840s.

themao
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:13:10 PM EDT
[#47]

Also, wear orange. Screw what Texans say about it. Remember, Texans also gave us Walker Texas Ranger, and ran scared shitless to the US Federal Govt. when the Mexican Army ran across the border in the 1840s.

Oh Cripes...

Everybody run... hock.gif
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:16:58 PM EDT
[#48]
We wear orange here.

Even with a orange vest on (not even camo breakup) I have never had a problem getting deer within 15 yards of me.

Thats what tree stands are for. And you definetly need orange here...to many stupid hilljacks that run deer and shoot whatever.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:45:23 AM EDT
[#49]
looks like the 5.56 did its gob.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:48:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Here in FL we only have to wear orange when hunting deer. When I lived in Northern Maine I didn't step out of my house without hunter's orange on. I lived in the middle of the woods (like 90% of all people in Maine). Hell I used to tie orange bandanas around my dog's necks during hunting season.

Oh BTW nice deer!!!

-sc
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top