Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2003 10:38:38 PM EDT
i just bought an ace socom m4 stock for my bushmaster m4 a3 after reading about it, thanks murdocksm4. do you guys have any pics of m4 carbines with this stock attached. from what i hear it's supposed to be the sturdiest stock on the market, what's your views. thanks BILLYXM15
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 12:11:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Just so you know:

[i]"M4 SOCOM Designed with input from combat experienced SF soldiers. This is the strongest production AR15/M16 stock available! Approximately 6 times stronger than an AR15 A2 stock & receiver extension tube. Ideal for CQB or breaching doors, and without the fear of bending the receiver extension tube ( which disables the rifle ). Adjustable length of pull, adjusts from 7.5" to 9.5" in five 1/2" increments. The M4 SOCOM comes with extra hardware so that it can be set up as a push button quick adjustable stock for "pre-ban" or "exempt" use; or as an adjustable stock for post ban use! [red][b](M4 SOCOM has not been approved by the BATF for post ban use).[/b][/red] Closed-cell foam overtube provides an extremely comfortable cheek weld. This stock mounts "rock solid' to the rifle with no movement making it an ideal stock for precision shooting as well. Ambi-sling mount / gusset reinforces the receiver extension tube at its weakest point- just behind the receiver. Four 1.5" totally quiet and fail safe machined in sling-slots allows optimum sling mount flexibility. With the 1.0" pad it is also ideal for use with .50 BMG AR uppers. Comes with your choice of 1.0" or .5" recoil pads. Uses carbine length buffer and spring ( not included ). L.O.P. fully collapsed 11.0 " and fully extended 13.0" without recoil pad.'[/i]

[url]www.riflestocks.com/ar15.html[/url]

[blue][b]I don't know what the ramifications are for installing a buttstock that hasn't been BATF approved. I'm just throwing it out there so you'll know[/b] [:)][/blue]
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 7:01:15 AM EDT
[#2]
KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 7:24:43 AM EDT
[#3]
What makes this stock "SOCOM"? Just a name?
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 7:47:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What makes this stock "SOCOM"? Just a name?
View Quote

That's an excellent question. I frequently wonder about things like that.

One of my dearest friends is an active duty Recon Marine. If I designed a widget and asked him what he thought about it could I then claim that my widget was created with input from Marine Force Recon?
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 10:00:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is the initial letter from ACE that I posted:

We don't plan on submitting the M4 SOCOM to the ATF for approval. Depending on the examiner that we get depends on whether it would be approved or not. If the ATF says not approved to us, there would be no "wiggle room" for anyone else to install it on a post ban weapons. For example we sent in the AR boom Tube stock and were denied approval. At least one other individual sent in his ARBT and it was approved for post ban use.
Cordially,
Bob & ACE

I emailed him after this and asked him to clarify "wiggle room", this is the response:

I believe you still could be arrested for it and that your rifle could be confiscated and a search warrant could easily be obtained for searching for other illegal weapons. What I meant to say is that it wouldn't be wise to install an M4 SC on a post ban weapon with out ATF approval.
Cordially,
Bob & ACE

Sounds a bit different than the first letter huh? Oh well, I wouldn't be too worried, from the little I know, it fits post ban specs when the bolt is tightened; if you were worried about it, you could just have it spot welded in place too and it would be totally legal.

Heres a pic of an Ace M4 (not mine)
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid87/p4c287da89aa89625c338f5b057dbdb6d/faa0f28d.jpg[/img]

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's mine

[img]http://www.photobucket.com/albums/0803/coltm4/d4e7947c.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 4:21:08 PM EDT
[#7]
The boys at ACE sure have the Marketing pitch down don't they. LOL

Words like: Tactical and SOCOM are a shoe in for sales these days.

6 TIMES STRONGER? Breaching doors with your buttstock? You gotta love it.

Does a "Wiggle room" disclaimer come with the package?

More power too'em.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 4:50:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Here's mine

[url]http://www.photobucket.com/albums/0803/coltm4/d4e7947c.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Nice rifle, but if I put a rifle on Mrs Mick's quilt, she would wrap it around my head.[:D]
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 5:23:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Weld it closed and it will be perfectly legal.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 5:25:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Uh I do not think I would use my butt stock to breach a door.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 10:09:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Yesterday I was on a gun show here in Germany and I had the chance to check out different telescopic buttstocks on the booth of Oberland Arms. They also sell the ACE SOCOM and it is indeed the best buttstock I've ever seen for an AR15. Folding stocks and telescopic stocks are now legal here when the overall length of the weapon is more than 24" with retracted stock.

The DPMS telescopic stock was a POS compared to the ACE. Oberland Arms also sells the Vltor and after I read so many good reviews about it here on AR15.com I was very enthusiastic about it but after I've seen it I don't understand the hype.

Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Overall, I really like this stock.  Adjustment isn't as much as some other more popular stocks, but it is very solid, and rugged and not a bit of play.  It isn't as light as the Colt 4 position I had prior, but it helped balance my rig better, w/ the 16" bull barrel profile.  I agree that some of the ACE advertising was cheesy, and the name "SOCOM M4", well I personally haven't seen any yet, on any of the units I've had the pleasure of working with.  

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid81/pef18644dc65c1b34247010af8f2f4449/fafb11b9.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid81/p50346002501ee4f530755b2f13322952/fafb10ce.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid81/p372a4f10aebb2dc27ba2565bbe5092e6/fafb1203.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:02:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yesterday I was on a gun show here in Germany and I had the chance to check out different telescopic buttstocks on the booth of Oberland Arms. They also sell the ACE SOCOM and it is indeed the best buttstock I've ever seen for an AR15. Folding stocks and telescopic stocks are now legal here when the overall length of the weapon is more than 24" with retracted stock.

The DPMS telescopic stock was a POS compared to the ACE. Oberland Arms also sells the Vltor and after I read so many good reviews about it here on AR15.com I was very enthusiastic about it but after I've seen it I don't understand the hype.

View Quote

I agree the VLTOR is a blah stock to me too.  Try the Magpul if you want to be impressed.  I do like the looks of the SOCOM M4 stock and it maintains the cheekweld which I like.  I hope to be able to check one out soon.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top