Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2003 6:22:45 PM EDT
which one of you guys that own them evil black rifles permanently attached their socom block to the lower by using a screw?

i'm having major brain farts and can't remember how it was done
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 4:37:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I did, but if I had to do it all over again I'd use roll pins. I used machine screws so they would fit flush to the receiver. The last picture is the same SOCOM block chopped off so I could use notched Sten mags [i](I had to add an extended mag catch to make it work)[/i].
Here's a PIC.
[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=71322&c=500&z=1"][img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/071322.jpg[/img][/url]
[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=71324&c=500&z=1"][img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/071324.jpg[/img][/url]
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 7:21:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Very interesting.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 1:50:48 PM EDT
[#3]
gee i was getting the impression that nobody liked me..  

did you have any problem drilling the block? figure the receiver would be easy to drill
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 3:18:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
did you have any problem drilling the block? Figure the receiver would be easy to drill
View Quote

Drilling and tapping was easy.  First make sure the block is going to sit in the well correctly.  My SOCOM sit in the well a little crooked.  I don’t know if the well was out of spec of if the block was, so I did a little shaping of the block with a flat file.  

After that I fixed the block inside the magwell exactly where I wanted it.  I used a wood block and a feeler gauge to fix it in place, and then I used a drill press and bored through the lower and the half way through the SOCOM. After that [i](leaving the lower in place)[/i] I counter sunk the holes so the flat head screws would be flush with the receiver.  [blue]Counter sinking is a difficult task and mine didn't come out exactly as I expected.  Next time I will either use roll pins or button-head screws to avoid countersinking.[/blue]
After you drill, pull the SOCOM block out of the receiver and drill the holes completely through, then thread them.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 3:28:20 PM EDT
[#5]
BTW, if you plan to make what I have in the second picture don’t buy a SOCOM block. Go to the machine shop and have them make a cheap block for you. I chopped mine because that $60 was spent a long time ago and I didn't mind chopping it.

Link Posted: 11/16/2003 4:05:29 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the help. i'm going to use roll pins. might notch the mags, but for now i'm going to stick with the block to hold mags in place
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 10:54:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
i'm going to use roll pins.
View Quote

Be sure to drill all the way through if you use roll pins.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#8]
1st post, please be nice.

Boom_Stick,
I've looked through all my sources and I cannot find the extended mag catch shown in your second pic.  Where did you get it?  Is it a purchasable piece?  Or do I have to buy two, then cut and weld?

TIA,
Rob
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:48:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Boom_Stick,
I've looked through all my sources and I cannot find the extended mag catch shown in your second pic.  Where did you get it?  Is it a purchasable piece?  Or do I have to buy two, then cut and weld?
View Quote

It is custom made and all one piece made on a CNC machine (I think).
z71man23 made the mag catches. Corvus had bought a few from him and sold one to me after he found he wasn't going to use it.
They are excellently made and if you plan on doing a similar conversion definitely try and get one from one of these guys.  
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top