Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2008 1:33:35 AM EDT
what is everyone using for a patrol rifle.  i am talking to the ones that carry one everyday, what barrel, what setup, etc.  pics would be great, but there are already picture threads, so details would be ok.
thanks
eta: would a noveske 14.5 afghan barrel be a good barrel to use?  too heavy?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:37:04 AM EDT
[#1]
do you expect something surprising here? its not like there is one super patrol rifle... people use rifles for carry with nearly the same variance as they build them... outside of a few parameters, its preference.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:41:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Most of the Police department we have beeen dealing with want the 10" or 11.5" barrels. The most popular combo is the 11.5" barrel with quad rail forward grip and a single point sling. Oh I forgot they all want FULL AUTO now.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:48:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I use and carry daily my own built AR from MEGA and Bushmaster parts.  My barrel is a Bushmaster 14.5" M4 type with a perm attached Phantom FS.  The rifle has YHM 2-piece 4-rail handguards with a TD VFG and M6 laser/light combo.  My BUIS is YHM and my optic is an Aimpoint on top of a LaRue mount.

Years of used, couple thousand rounds, ZERO issues.

For a personally own AR used for duty work, you will have to have a 16" barrel or else have the lower registered as a SBR for use with the true 14.5" or shorter barrels.  Remember, NFA rules apply to EVERYONE, cops and their personal weapons included.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:52:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
what is everyone using for a patrol rifle.  i am talking to the ones that carry one everyday, what barrel, what setup, etc.  pics would be great, but there are already picture threads, so details would be ok.
thanks
eta: would a noveske 14.5 afghan barrel be a good barrel to use?  too heavy?

Search this forum.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:11:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Most of the Police department we have beeen dealing with want the 10" or 11.5" barrels. The most popular combo is the 11.5" barrel with quad rail forward grip and a single point sling. Oh I forgot they all want FULL AUTO now.

Are the departments purchasing these for the SWAT teams or for your standard patrolman's rifle?
I could see my Chief now if the armory wanted to order full auto sbr's, lol.  FYI: my Department is all about Colt 16" A2's.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Most of them are for the standard patrol cars. We have done quite a few for special teams lately since the RNC will be here they want NEW rifles and don't want to wait 6-12 months for the Big manufacturers to deliver. Most are now trading their Colt's to us for new models.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:51:14 PM EDT
[#8]
No i wasnt expecting an all in one answer, i realize that everyone is different, just trying to get some ideas.
thanks
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:29:09 PM EDT
[#9]
The locals here have Bushmasters with 16" barrels.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:39:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I guess at the beginning I should have said what I am looking for.  I am looking to build a very good patrol rifle.  I will be using on duty, as well as possibly some 3-gun matches and will be going to a lot of carbine classes for training which will entail running and shooting, etc.  I was considering the noveske afghan barrel but was unsure if the weight is too much for a patrol rifle.  Also who are some of the better manuf. for chrome lined non-stainless barrels.  I looked at lmt but it said that it was for the MRP.  I am looking at a 14.5 barrel.
Thanks for the help.
Matt
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:28:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:55:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Personally, RRA midlength with a Nikon red dot and a light mount on the upper rail, streamling TLR1 & single point sling. Paid about $1000 for the set-up and I shopped for good prices on what I got. (used scope, used light & hand-me-down riser)

I could have gone with iron sights only and a standard trigger which would have run about $750.

Most of the guys I work with are in the $1400 range on their rifles with eotechs and aimpoints, forward rails and verticle grips.

Spend what you want. Whatever you end up with will be suitable.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:23:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Most of them are for the standard patrol cars. We have done quite a few for special teams lately since the RNC will be here they want NEW rifles and don't want to wait 6-12 months for the Big manufacturers to deliver. Most are now trading their Colt's to us for new models.

They must have some real cool management.  I should transfer ....j/k
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:48:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Just buy a Colt LE 6920...

Home building a duty weapon has a lot of risk and could even have liability concerns.  Plus, you can't build a duty weapon better than some of the factory Colts.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:51:01 PM EDT
[#15]
i carry a personally owned S&W MP15. its topped with an aimpoint ml3, surefire rails, homemade scout light, TD VFG. it rides in the trunk every night i work. i've had it 2 years, have never had a malfunction that wasn't ammo related. very reliable after 2000 ish rounds. i'm happy with it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top