Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2006 10:07:54 AM EDT
I've seen people use paracord and duct tape for mag pulls, is there any special way of getting that accomplished?  Or any better way of using paracord for the mag puls.  Would anyone have some directions for me to get this accomplished.  Any help would be greatly appricated.  Thank you for your time.
-Don
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:18:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Cut a 6" section of 550 Paracord. Remove the inner strands. Tie a knot in each end of the cord. Use lighter or match to melt the frayed end and knot together to prevent unraveling. Slide open the magazine floorplate about halfway to let you put the knotted ends of the cord into each side of the magazine. Slide the floorplate closed, capturing the knots inside the mag. Voila!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:03:43 AM EDT
[#2]
It's the para cord people selling you on the fact that you "need" to get your mags out faster.  People wrap para cord around vertical grips and knife handles, use them for mag pulls and all sorts of things.  I just don't think their is a need to do any of that.

TS
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:14:33 PM EDT
[#3]
And, those in the "know" are aware that one mag with a pull is all that is needed per mag pouch. Positioned in the same location, the first mag pulled out is easy to locate / remove under any condition.

Hotgun
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:28:01 AM EDT
[#4]
npd233

I would add one step to you instructions.  I take a match to the knot to melt it together to keep it from unraveling.  Got that tip from my son.   Most of my 30 round mags have these installed.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:22:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Cut a 6" section of 550 Paracord. Remove the inner strands. Tie a knot in each end of the cord. Slide open the magazine floorplate about halfway to let you put the knotted ends of the cord into each side of the magazine. Slide the floorplate closed, capturing the knots inside the mag. Voila!

I like this best.
I can make dozens of these things in one hour and I don't have to wrap my mags with tape like some do.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:23:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It's the para cord people selling you on the fact that you "need" to get your mags out faster.  People wrap para cord around vertical grips and knife handles, use them for mag pulls and all sorts of things.  I just don't think their is a need to do any of that.

TS

I can't agree.
Have you ever tried pulling mags out of the original GI 3x30 mag pouch?
There's very little to grap onto when all three mags are side by side.
Those little pulls work very well for the $.02 it takes to make them.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:30:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
npd233

I would add one step to you instructions.  I take a match to the knot to melt it together to keep it from unraveling.  Got that tip from my son.   Most of my 30 round mags have these installed.  

And I like to take a small "zip tie" and cut the top off of it so that it is about 3-4 inches long. I then insert it into the gutted 550 cord. I tie knots in the end of the cords and melt the cuts. The zip tie keeps the para cord "erect" for lack of a better term.  The 550 cord will not flop over and you can always grab it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:35:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
And, those in the "know" are aware that one mag with a pull is all that is needed per mag pouch. Positioned in the same location, the first mag pulled out is easy to locate / remove under any condition.

Hotgun

I don't follow.  I was trained to load mags in a pouch with the "brass to the grass".  So when you return an empty to the pouch feed lips up, you're still grabbing a fresh mag from a full pouch.

Please expound.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cut a 6" section of 550 Paracord. Remove the inner strands. Tie a knot in each end of the cord. Slide open the magazine floorplate about halfway to let you put the knotted ends of the cord into each side of the magazine. Slide the floorplate closed, capturing the knots inside the mag. Voila!

I like this best.
I can make dozens of these things in one hour and I don't have to wrap my mags with tape like some do.

The reason you wrap the mags with tape is to keep them from making noise in the ALICE mag pouches after you cut the dividers out of them.

The reason you cut the dividers out is so you can use the pouches for other things when not full with mags.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:10:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like this best.

The reason you wrap the mags with tape is to keep them from making noise in the ALICE mag pouches after you cut the dividers out of them.

The reason you cut the dividers out is so you can use the pouches for other things when not full with mags.

I never thought my mags were noisy(when all 3 were loaded), but I can agree with that.
I cut the dividers out of every mag pouch I ever had.  I can't believe somebody thought those dividers would work.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:23:26 AM EDT
[#11]
BRASS TO THE GRASS +1

Thats how I do them!

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:27:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TS

I can't agree.
Have you ever tried pulling mags out of the original GI 3x30 mag pouch?
There's very little to grap onto when all three mags are side by side.
Those little pulls work very well for the $.02 it takes to make them.

I was just spoofing markm's post about Magpul in the Magpul ranger plate thread.  
Here:Magpul ranger plate thread
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:08:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
npd233

Of course. It's SOP when cutting/knotting paracord. I edited my post added it to the instructions since some guys who use paracord to do this mod might be using it for the first time!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:31:20 PM EDT
[#14]
tag
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#15]
This is a great tip, we used to do this all the time I still use 550 cord for this.

.......also for retention of mags, use a carabiner on your vest or belt and clip the empties on using the 550 loop. No need for dump pouch.

Semper Fi
DOC
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I was just spoofing markm's post about Magpul in the Magpul ranger plate thread.  
Here:Magpul ranger plate thread

Careful.  The Magpul Mafia will get you!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:00:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I've seen people use paracord and duct tape for mag pulls, is there any special way of getting that accomplished?  Or any better way of using paracord for the mag puls.  Would anyone have some directions for me to get this accomplished.  Any help would be greatly appricated.  Thank you for your time.
-Don

I think they are totally unnecessary. How much faster can a mag be removed than "DROP FREE" when the release button is pushed?

If you are using mags that don't drop free upon release.....your mags or mag well are out of spec and need to be replaced or repaired.

Pulls on mags are a fad and have no real usefullness if your equipment is in spec.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:45:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
-Don

I think they are totally unnecessary. How much faster can a mag be removed than "DROP FREE" when the release button is pushed?

If you are using mags that don't drop free upon release.....your mags or mag well are out of spec and need to be replaced or repaired.

Pulls on mags are a fad and have no real usefullness if your equipment is in spec.

Magpuls are a fad for gear queers.
Paracord loops are not, and there is a reason you see everyone and their brother using them in LE/Mil.

ETA: that's not saying the Magpuls are useless. I think they probably work as well, if not better, than the paracord pulls.
But the Gucci Girls on this site insist that if it isn't expensive and black Marpat Coyote Brown Multi Cam ACU Foliage Green (soon to be replaced by a new "must have" pattern) than it is worthless.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:22:06 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Paracord loops are not, and there is a reason you see everyone and their brother using them in LE/Mil.

Actually I've only seen one guy using them.  He had some system where he hooked them to his mag pouch like a Janitor's keys.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:48:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

------------------------------------------------------

I've not seen paracord loops in use by anyone in the military, in person or in any of the footage I've seen on TV.

Just something else to snag yourself on.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#21]
The first one of these I ever saw was about 3 inches of paracord sticking out of the hole in a magazine floor plate.  No loop, just the knotted end of the cord (and of course the knot on the inside).  Couldn't for the life of me figure this out, but hey, a free mag is a free mag!

Once I did figure it out, having something to get the first magazine out of the pouch is very helpful, because a pouch in good condition is pretty tight with three mags in it.  Once an empty is placed back in the pouch (after the full one has been pulled) it doesn't seem as tight, even with three mags-maybe the weight has something to do with it?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:34:13 AM EDT
[#23]
I use it to attach empties to my carabiner.  Ever try putting empties back into the pouch while in the prone at the same time remembering to lay down suppresive fire?  Imagine this on a TWO WAY range.  Just clip it on and SHOOT!  I have never found myself incapable of pulling a magazine from my IBA, LBE, LBV, etc.  I have had a hard time pulling a magazine from the well, but I highly doubt that having a magazine pull device would have aided me in removing the damaged magazine.  Dropping like a turn from the sky tends to damage things like magazines and people.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#24]
What you ought to do is run a REALLY LONG piece of paracord thru the base plate so you can hang a mag around your neck like a FUNKY FRESH MEDALLION, Yo!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
What you ought to do is run a REALLY LONG piece of paracord thru the base plate so you can hang a mag around your neck like a FUNKY FRESH MEDALLION, Yo!

yo iz dat a clip from yo gat roun yo neck yo? thats tight yo!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:19:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
It's the para cord people

TS

There are "para cord people"???
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's the para cord people

TS

There are "para cord people"???

Did you read the whole thread?  It is a spoof on markm and others saying that the Magpul people make things and/or claim to make things you can't live without but are (according to some) not necessary or even useless.  There are para cord people here at Arfcom:Paracord thread

TS
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:30:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:36:38 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe I could make a molded version of this idea and call it the "MarkyMarkM Pull"

ROFLMMFAO      

TS
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:40:22 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
-Don

ETA: that's not saying the Magpuls are useless. I think they probably work as well, if not better, than the paracord pulls.
But the Gucci Girls on this site insist that if it isn't expensive and black Marpat Coyote Brown Multi Cam ACU Foliage Green (soon to be replaced by a new "must have" pattern) than it is worthless.

Here's some real world users, our boys, and they seem to have a need.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:56:14 AM EDT
[#31]
I've been using 550 cord on the bottom of my mags since 1992 and 100mph tape on the sides as well.  

The tape kept mags from making noise in the old Alice pouches and it was a quick source of tape in case I needed it.
I "might" invest in some magpuls for my HK mags to lessen the chance of damage if I drop them, but I doubt it since that's more money out of my pocket that I can spend on other things. I bought a bunch of HK mags before the NSN became widely available, but you can easily take off their floor plate and use 550 on them as well.

I'm a self confessed gear queer, but I just can't justify magpuls yet.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top