Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/25/2011 6:20:46 PM EDT
Anyone have any trouble with McFarland gas rings?  Reason I ask.....I installed a new set fired 80 rounds and started having short strokes unfortunately this was during the West Point two gun match and it totally killed my day.  So I get home and I remove the bolt carrier and place it bolt face down and the ring is unable to support the weight of the bolt carrier and the bolt rotated to the rear.  I have an adjustable gas block (PRI).  In addition is it possible that too much gas it some how prematurely aging the gas ring or should I just stick with the three ring set? Which does fit much tighter

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 10:58:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Regular rings are a better choice IMO, more reliable, easy to replace and with built in redundancy.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 10:58:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Regular rings are a better choice IMO, more reliable, easy to replace and with built in redundancy.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 2:59:51 AM EDT
[#3]
1, never make changes to a gun that works before a match. What were you thinking?

I have over 7,000 rounds on the 3 ring set up, Do not fix what is not broken.

Over the years I've seen a few posts of that coil ring going tits up in a short amount of rounds. I have seen much less reports with the GI setup, esp when you consider the number of gi systems out there.

So glad I did West Point on Fri. those Sat shooters had a wet day.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 6:00:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I did Friday as well.  The McFarland was my standard prior to the match.  I just changed it as general maintenance prior to.  Screw it I am going back to the three set

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Haven't had any problems whatsoever with my one piece ring in the 1000 or so rounds I've shot with it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 3:02:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've come to the opinion that rings are not even a necessary part of the equation if everything else is in proper order, as it is possible to get an AR tuned to run without gas rings. I'd look at that gas block and also measure the gas port on the barrel, that may be the cause of the short strokes. What length is the barrel and gas system?

Nelson Tactical

WOA16 inch mid-length. With PRI adjustable gas block

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:49:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I have had 4  Mcfarlands that the bolt wouldn't go in to the carrier with them. Take out my calipers and each one was a differant size. I have heard some people getting ones that were too small and the bolt would drop out of the carrier.
I buy the standard rings from Bravo Company. I don't think the Mcfarland is a bad idea, But the people making it can't hold specs.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:10:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:08:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I run federal xm193 religiously.  This ammo is the same lot number as before problems.

I have an H2 buffer that I have run with out issue since I built the gun

I have used foaming bore cleaner..........so I think I'll pull the gas tube and block

no steel case laquer or polymer.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 3:29:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top