Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2005 6:55:39 PM EDT
is there an age restriction on blanks like on ammunition?
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 4:43:25 AM EDT
[#1]
not that I know of. State/Local laws may vary.
I figure if my friends in NJ can buy them they "must" be ok.  Of course your laws may vary.

Link Posted: 11/30/2005 10:25:35 AM EDT
[#2]
i emailed Swanson for some hot blanks and they said you have to be 21. i dont understand since you can buy live rounds at 18.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 2:35:02 PM EDT
[#3]
also,  i know you cant use a GI BFA with Hot blanks, but what about a hollywood BFA with GI blanks?
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#4]
The Hot blank adaptor will not work because of the size of the hole.

Hold on I'll post some pics to compare.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 4:36:06 PM EDT
[#5]
OK take a look at this pic...

On the left is the BFA for the yellow M4 carbine. in the middle is a BFA for a SKS M59/66 Yugo and on the right is the red M16 BFA (I painted it black when I was in the Army) and in front of that is a hollywood BFA for hot blanks.

take a look at the little  hole on the M16 BFA. see that? that is were the gas vents. Now look at the hole on the hollywood BFA see how big it is in comparison? the hotter blank needs the larger hole to operate. If you use the GI blanks on a hot blank BFA the rifle will not cycle. If you use a hot blank on a GI BFA... well you can see where you may have a problem.

a side note is.. notice the hole on the M4 BFA is larger than the hole on the M16 BFA. I read that due to the shorter gas system it needed a larger hole.

The hole on the SKS BFA is large becuase the blanks have more oomph to cycle the sks. also that SKS BFA is almost 2 pounds! it is a heavy mo-fo!

hope this helps
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 4:37:05 PM EDT
[#6]
im not following.

what are hot blanks? as opposed to regular blanks?

Link Posted: 11/30/2005 4:46:39 PM EDT
[#7]
USGI blanks the M200 are what you can call... "cat fart" blanks. they have just enough juice to barely cycle the M16.

Hollywood hot blanks are just that.. HOT. they not only cycle very strongly, but they are very loud, almost but not quite like a real shot. and they are flame throwers. This is why all the guns in movies have a huge fire ball when fired.

We had a bunch of hot blanks for our ARs and some .308 blanks for the semi-M60 and the ARs were 5 times louder than the M60 blanks.

Link Posted: 11/30/2005 5:06:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Where is a good source for hollywood blanks? and is the adapter necissary?
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Swanson Blanks

yes you need the hot BFA for the hot blanks or you will just have a "bolt action"
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 8:15:26 PM EDT
[#10]
thanks CB1 for that comparison!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:08:28 PM EDT
[#11]
One note to add to CB1's excellent material: there are "Hollywood-style" hidden blank adapters sized for GI blanks.  It is CRUCIAL to keep such adapters separate!  It could be disasterous to fire a hot Hollywood blank through a GI sized adapter!  You CAN tell the difference by the size of the orifice in the adapter (Hollywood blanks use a much larger hole), but mistakes happen so KEEP THESE THINGS SEPARATED.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top