Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/30/2003 5:24:51 AM EDT
does anyone know what the deal is with Olympic arms brakes that attach with 4-set screws and the oly barrels have a channel cut near the end for the screws to set in. The question, is this legal for the post-ban is this"permanent enough"? I sent a e-mail to oly but I haven't heard back yet. here is a address so folks can get a peek at the brake.  http://www.olyarms.com/usa.html

it was on the rifle when I got it but I took it off..but the barrel does not have a recessed crown and I would like to cover the end with out everyone at the range telling me I going to get f-ed by the BATFE for having a non compliant muzzle brake..blah blah I know about all the brakes that are available but I'm not going to spend any money on a new one and I don't care enough to weld/pin or anything of the sort. Just is this thing cool or what?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:44:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got two of 'em on stock Oly 16" H-bars. They work GOOD. It keeps you right on target for the next shot.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:27:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure that the "permanent fixture" is relavent for post-ban rifles that have the legal 16" barrel in place. It is a muzzle brake, not a "flash suppressor". I think (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the only time the brake has to be attached permanently is when it is necessary to be a part of the barrel to make it 16" in length. That is, to attach a 4.5" brake to a 11.5" barrel to make it legal.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:34:57 AM EDT
[#3]
As long as the barrel is at least 16" and not threaded, it doesn't matter how the brake is attatched.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:41:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm not sure that the "permanent fixture" is relavent for post-ban rifles that have the legal 16" barrel in place. It is a muzzle brake, not a "flash suppressor". I think (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the only time the brake has to be attached permanently is when it is necessary to be a part of the barrel to make it 16" in length. That is, to attach a 4.5" brake to a 11.5" barrel to make it legal.
View Quote
yea that sounds right........ what the hell this is sooooooooo dumb what the fuck. why I do I even have to think about what is on the end of my MF gun barrel be it  suppresser....flash hider..oh oh oh my god a freaking knife   [%(]     or even the dreaded  threads [headbang]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:55:54 AM EDT
[#5]
all the stupid laws making me look over my shoulder all the time........best put on my helmet and pads so I can watch the TV and be safe [banghead]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:08:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I have one. Make sure it is damn good and tight. Mine came loose and created a mess in the channel. Put red loctite on it and it's stayed put now for around 3k rounds.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 2:45:52 PM EDT
[#7]
1. They are 100% legal on post ban guns.
2. They are muzzle brakes, NOT flash hiders (which are not permitted on post ban AR's regardless of how they are attached).
3. They work GREAT!
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 3:40:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have one. Make sure it is damn good and tight. Mine came loose and created a mess in the channel. Put red loctite on it and it's stayed put now for around 3k rounds.
View Quote

Yea gots to have it locked down is right I wonder how many brakes have been sent down range
over the years
[sniper2]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Love my Oly, excellent weapon, BUT...those set screw thingamajigs SUCK!
my 0.02
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:50:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Got that muzzle brake with my PCR-4..works great. Only problem I was having was XM193 kept loosening the set screws. Blue locktite fixed it right up. Make sure its Blue, not Red locktite...or else it will be a "permanent" muzzle brake.

Side note: I lost one of the set screws before fixing the problem. Called Oly to order one...they sent me a complete set of 4, Free.
Nice guys at OLY...little things like that keeps a customer happy.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 1:15:54 PM EDT
[#11]
yea thats cool they sent you some new screws.......but they are 1/4"-20x1/4" set screws and cost like 10 or 20cents at the hardware store so it is cool but it most likely cost more to ship-em to ya [booze]

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top