Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/2/2003 1:31:16 AM EDT
i just checked the oly site and it they have these free float handgaurds- the FIRSH...anyone have any experience with em?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 3:06:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I like them, but you need to be able to remove the muzzle attachment and front sight to install one.  Then you also need to change out your barrel nut, as the FIRSH is essentially a free float tube.  Since I was able to do all this, I was thrilled to be able to save $200 vs. a competing Knights product.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 3:31:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Bohr has one on his Bushy. It ROCKS! Very solid.

One main advantage I see is the way the flattop rail is now one with the handguard rail. (You have one LONG flattop w/ the oly setup.)
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 4:45:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I have 4 of them in varying sizes (1 for each AR), and I'm generally very happy with them.  They are the best bargain for a railed FF handguard.  I have also noticed that the rails don't seem to really meet the picatinny standard.  Sometimes ARMS throw-lever stuff won't lock up tight on the rails.  Anything which screws down to the rail works great.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:43:49 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the feedback guys- i have 2 questions now. 1- so they are made well and wont break on me? 2-how would i go about installing them?(i just bought my first ar, a bushy m4 with mini Y comp) is there a link to another post that explains? thanks
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:10:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not sure what you mean by well made, it's one solid piece of aluminum. I really don't see how it could break. I had one for a while, and I traded up for the RAS II. Just don't use the weapon as a baseball bat and you'll be fine. For installation instructions see here

http://www.triplebreakproducts.com/Olympic/how_to_install_FIRSH.htm

Steve.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 11:18:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's what you do:

1) Get a set of action blocks and a big vise.

2) Remove handguards, gas block (or front sight) and muzzle break (if it won't fit the hole in the FIRSH, most won't fit.)

3) Lock the action in to the vise. Remove the barrel nut, using the special nut wrench. Note: if it won't come off, come back and post an amusing thread about all the stuff you tried before ruining your upper receiver. It should come right off... but there are a few amusing threads floating around in "build it yourself."

4) Screw in the FIRSH nut. Index the handguard, and tighten the underneath screw.

If you have all the tools around, you probably would not be posting here!

Alternate Plan A- take the rail and $30 to your gunsmith.

Alternate Plan B- buy a new upper with a FIRSH on it! Keep both uppers, then buy a lower to match your new upper.

Pete

ps- I'm also looking at the Badger STABILIZER handguard... similar. I don't know much about it yet.

Check out the AR-15 thread on uppers and such. They have a great review of the handguard posted at the top of the thread/
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:06:08 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks guys
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top