ok after reading a ton of info on ammo here
ive come to the conclusion that i dont have a clue

as to what to buy????????????????????

i want a general pourpose ammo"plinking and sthf combined"

which ammo would suffice for this and not need a second mortage
taken out to purchase it?????

200 yrd effictive is as far as i can see ok

dont need to split wiskers at 400+

i want to work a high % of the time failer to work 3 or 4 out of a thousand i can live with....

just a good jack of all trades ammo..............

thanks in advance
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:31:33 AM EDT
Federal XM-193
Winchester Q3131A
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:31:38 AM EDT
Federal XM-193, preferably the boxed, but I have fired thousands of the XM-193PD(loose packed) rounds with no problems. It has good terminal ballistics and is affordable(1000 rounds is around $199 for boxed and $170 for the loose PD ammo) it is pretty accurate for me, under 2" at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:30:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/17/2005 11:30:54 AM EDT by ops144]
just bought 1000 rnds of s23faxm855pd green tip nato

hope this is good stuff
says lakecity over run???

http://www.natchezss.com/

189.00$ per 1000rnds
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:37:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ops144:
just bought 1000 rnds of s23faxm855pd green tip nato

hope this is good stuff
says lakecity over run???

http://www.natchezss.com/

189.00$ per 1000rnds

Its decent stuff, I had no malfunctions with the 1000 rounds I fired but the 55 grain M-193 spec ammo(XM-193, Q3131A) would be a better choice, it has slightly better terminal effects but M855 will work fine.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:41:21 PM EDT
Boxed XM193.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:43:17 PM EDT
Boxed IMI M855 is also excellent, if you can find it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:59:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By safetyhit:
Boxed IMI M855 is also excellent, if you can find it.

+1
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:07:29 PM EDT
Black Hills Blue Box 75 grain.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:38:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Gary-G23:
Federal XM-193 (boxed)
Winchester Q3131A

+1
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:01:22 PM EDT
I know what you mean ops! I'm in the same boat! I went with the Federal XM193 like others suggested. Since I'm just starting out, and it was pretty cheap I figured it was a good starting point! I'll let you know how it goes after I go shooting this weekend!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:13:32 PM EDT
Boxed XM193 or Federal American Eagle
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:06:44 AM EDT
My solution was this:
I used the ammo rating according to the feedback thread that is tacked in the ammo forum, which currently reads:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=169729

Based on that list, the highest rated ammo I could find in case quantity was SA .223, so I ponied up the cash for most of a case of SA .223 first. As I shot through that, I kept my eyes open, and after a while I picked up a case of UMC .223 for a really good price, that became my "stash" and I kept shooting the SA ammo.
Later on, I alternated between Q and X loads as I found them, with the occasional lot of Wolf or SB or whatever else I happened upon. Personally, I made the decision that I was going to "use up" the non reloadable and lower rated ammo first for plinking and such, so as my stash grew, it slowly changed from a mismash of damn near everything to a stack of Q and a smaller stack of XM. So far I havent found the PD ammo locally for any better deal than the boxed, so I havent even bothered with it. I have even worked my way through a couple of cases of NATEC PCA when I found it cheap enough.
In reality, the odds are with you. Most any of the ammo on that list will do, so buy whatever you can find cheap. Depending on your tin hat size, you *could* buy a few boxes of TAP or BH SMK some other commercial super ammo, "just in case", but personally I have never had luck of having the "special ammo" readily available and zeroed when it was needed, so I just "run what I brung" because the loaded mag in hand is worth a hundred cases left back in the store room. I would rather have a few mags full of WOLF with me when the tripods come than 100 cases of TAP waiting at home, unzeroed.
One caviat: [assuming they are legal in your area] Invest in MAGPUL followers and a few decent GI magazines to put them in. Forget black followers, green followers, steel magazines, plastic magazines or any other oddball stuff, and your incidence of ammo related failures to feed will drop to almost nothing. Good mags make all of the difference when it comes to AR's working correctly.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:48:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Cryptoboy:
I know what you mean ops! I'm in the same boat! I went with the Federal XM193 like others suggested. Since I'm just starting out, and it was pretty cheap I figured it was a good starting point! how

thanks bud...
ya iam just torn more because the best right now is the pd stuff...

which rates ok i cant find the better stuff boxed only pd...

i have alittle bit of wolf "new stuff" i got when i picked up my rifle thats all they had
and i cant have a rifle w/o ammo then its just a big paper weight lol....

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:56:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/18/2005 4:58:50 AM EDT by ops144]

Originally Posted By barrysuperhawk:
My solution was this:
I used the ammo rating according to the feedback thread that is tacked in the ammo forum, which currently reads:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=169729

Based on that list, the highest rated ammo I could find in case quantity was SA .223, so I ponied up the cash for most of a case of SA .223 first. As I shot through that, I kept my eyes open, and after a while I picked up a case of UMC .223 for a really good price, that became my "stash" and I kept shooting the SA ammo.
Later on, I alternated between Q and X loads as I found them, with the occasional lot of Wolf or SB or whatever else I happened upon. Personally, I made the decision that I was going to "use up" the non reloadable and lower rated ammo first for plinking and such, so as my stash grew, it slowly changed from a mismash of damn near everything to a stack of Q and a smaller stack of XM. So far I havent found the PD ammo locally for any better deal than the boxed, so I havent even bothered with it. I have even worked my way through a couple of cases of NATEC PCA when I found it cheap enough.
In reality, the odds are with you. Most any of the ammo on that list will do, so buy whatever you can find cheap. Depending on your tin hat size, you *could* buy a few boxes of TAP or BH SMK some other commercial super ammo, "just in case", but personally I have never had luck of having the "special ammo" readily available and zeroed when it was needed, so I just "run what I brung" because the loaded mag in hand is worth a hundred cases left back in the store room. I would rather have a few mags full of WOLF with me when the tripods come than 100 cases of TAP waiting at home, unzeroed.
One caviat: [assuming they are legal in your area] Invest in MAGPUL followers and a few decent GI magazines to put them in. Forget black followers, green followers, steel magazines, plastic magazines or any other oddball stuff, and your incidence of ammo related failures to feed will drop to almost nothing. Good mags make all of the difference when it comes to AR's working correctly.

good info there and i picked up 3 30rnders same day i got my weapon for a total of 4one came with the weapon all with green followers and aluminum body made in heartford conn..
and 160 rnds of wolf as that
was all they had but some ammo is better than none.....
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:14:12 AM EDT
If the mags run with the green followers, why switch? I have a bunch of mags and have green, black, alum, and orange followers and NEVER have an issue with any of them. I would stake my life on them anytime.

Just run a few mags through your rifle and if you get a malfunction, mark that mag and either get rid of it or use it for a range mag. New mags are cheap now and get some good USGI ones that work flawlessly.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:21:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By colt100:
If the mags run with the green followers, why switch? I have a bunch of mags and have green, black, alum, and orange followers and NEVER have an issue with any of them. I would stake my life on them anytime.

Just run a few mags through your rifle and if you get a malfunction, mark that mag and either get rid of it or use it for a range mag. New mags are cheap now and get some good USGI ones that work flawlessly.

+1
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:02:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By colt100:

I shoot rifle and threegun matches alot. The only combination I have never had problems with is GI mags with magpul followers. Green/orange followers are a definite improvement over stock, but the Magpul's are better. I have intentionally tried to goober them up and they refuse to fail. Besides, he only has 4 mags, so he spends $14 on 2 3-packs and keeps a couple extra to put in new mags.. Magpul followers are very close to the cheapest accessory that one can buy for an AR and at the same time possibly the best investment in reliability I have ever seen or heard about. The ONLY complaint is that they don't come in colors.. not required, but it would be cool...
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:24:17 PM EDT
He needs more mags. Also, I normally go with the "what ain't broke doesn't get fixed" mindset. All of my USGI mags work flawlessly for me and I don;t see why I would try something else just because it is supposed to be better.

Whatever makes you sleep better at night I guess. I believe it's user preference and not a must have item.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:06:10 PM EDT
Maybe a box of TAP 75 gr. to keep your safe queen from getting lonely, but at those prices (15.00 local, no thanks) it ain't plinking stuff....one werd

WOLF
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:09:17 PM EDT
wolf you pussy
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:36:16 AM EDT
ill be getting more mags in the near future...

just orders some m855"1000 rnds"
will me here monday acording to ups...

then time to break this bad boy in
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:40:22 AM EDT
[

why would mag puls be illigal? "just courious" never herd that before but if they are it would be
here in illinois.........
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:28:32 AM EDT
Don't overlook Georgia Arms' Canned Heat: $80 for 500 rds in an ammo can. I've been very happy with this for my basic plinking ammo. It shoots tighter groups than Wolf for about the same price, but is loaded hotter. www.georgia-arms.com/index.htm
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:16:02 AM EDT
is all there stuff reloaded?

is it clean or dirty?"burning..........

looks good on the page
Top Top