Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/1/2005 9:38:38 PM EDT
should i get a nylon or a bronze bore brush for my chrome lined barrel? or does it matter. thanks
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:47:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rippersde50:
should i get a nylon or a bronze bore brush for my chrome lined barrel? or does it matter. thanks

Doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:36:49 PM EDT
doesn't matter but a bronze brush will clean much better.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:19:12 AM EDT
i tend to stick to bronze
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:12:34 AM EDT
You know the other day I bought for the first time a nylon brush. I had just recently purchased a GI bronze brush and had noticed after about 6 or 7 cleaning sessions that it wasn’t as tight as when new, hence the idea to try out nylon.

I believe the nylon did a better job, and it seemed to require less effort to clean my barrel.

This is what I bought:

secure.armorholdings.com/kleen-bore/product354.html

The barrel was a new DPMS chrome-moly barrel, and from my experience, chrome-moly was always a bit harder to get really clean compared to chrome lined. With C-moly I always seemed to pull out patches with a tiny bit of carbon on them. Not this time.

Along with the brush listed above I purchased this cleaning rod:

secure.armorholdings.com/kleen-bore/product385.html

This cleaning session had to be the easiest yet. Using Hoppes #9 on a mop I swabbed the barrel, waited a few minutes, then ran the Hoppes soaked nylon brush through the bore about 8-10 times.

After running a few Hoppes soaked patches through, it took about 5-6 dry patches before they came out clean. I might be behind the curve when it comes to the latest cleaning rods and bore cleaners. Up till now I used a combination of aluminum sectional and GI cleaning rods. But I have to say using the new nylon brush and one piece rod sure seemed to make this cleaning session a more pleasurable experience!

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:39:19 AM EDT
I have never found a nylon brush that will get in the small areas where the rifle lands and channels meet. The nylon bristles are too thick to do a detailed enough job.

I tried this experiment one time and you may want to try it yourself:

1) Clean with a nylon brush and patches until no more fouling can be removed
2) Run a bronze brush for 5 passes with the same cleaning solvent and run a patch.

I didn't even have to run a patch to know the results. The solvent was VERY dirty.

I use a bronze brush for non-ammonia solvents and I use a nylon brush for ammonia-based solvents such as sweets.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:13:25 AM EDT
bore brushes are just like toothbrushes, after a while the wear out and must be replaced. Esp if you use a copper cleaner with them.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:06:47 AM EDT
Nylon brushes are ment to be used with copper solvent as the copper solvent will eat away the bronz brushes.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:45:01 PM EDT
how about a "tornado"brush?is it for smooth bores or is it a new idea?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:02:51 PM EDT
Aren't the Tornado brushes stainless steel? If so, then it DOESN'T belong in the bore of any of my rifles!!! I use bronze brushes almost exclusively, except for using a 9mm nylon brush occasionally with copper solvent for my FAL..
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:02:20 PM EDT
I dont know but I was wondering for sure if it is ok to use it.it feels smooth and is looped unlike a brush so I thought if anything it wont clean as good
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:14:18 PM EDT
mrrick

I use a tornado brush all the time... in my SHOTGUNS...

there great for removing plastic produced from the wad, last time i checked .223 ammo doesnt come standard with a wad... so i dont see the use for them in rifles
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:20:50 PM EDT
Bronze.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:48:41 AM EDT
Top Top