Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2004 2:21:36 PM EDT
So, I've got a gas block that has nothing on it, and I'm looking to replace it witha four-side-railed gas block.  I unscrew the two screws holding the thing on and pull.  poof! the gas tube comes off with the gas block.  fine, I can deal with that as long as I can get the tube out of the block.  HAHAHAHAHHA - laugh the gas block gods, "HE SHALL DO NO SUCH THING" they declare.  I've tried every small object in the house but I cannot get the damned pin out of the gas block.  This is one frusterating experience between holding the gas block still, hammering a little nail in, etc.  Four hours work and no movement of the roll pin.  I REFUSE to use my vise or any special tools to do this operation.  I have, as such , decided to use money and pay someone else to do it.

now i need to drink.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:54:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a 1/16 inch Craftsman roll pin punch.  It has broken on my several times but Sears keeps replacing it for me.  It is a very handy tool to have.  Of course, even if you get the roll pin out the tube doesn't always come off very easily either.  It can sometimes be a real PITA.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:02:09 PM EDT
[#2]
gas tube $8.00 + roll pin .50 + shipping $4.00

your gunsmith would have to be awfully cheap.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:18:01 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the link, pursuing that as I type....
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:22:40 PM EDT
[#4]
A 1/16 punch should make very short work out of it. If for some insane reason it does not come out just buy a new gas tube & pin for $10-15 or so, ALot cheaper than a NY gunsmith.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:26:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#6]
PERFECT!!!! email sent to steve@adcoyada yada already.  I'm not so intrested in doing this myself anymore....
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:01:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not sure exactly which parts I need....
I know I need the gas tube and the roll pin to keep it on the gas block I have....
How do I know which gas tube to order......
I have a DPMS free floating stainless steel bull barrel upper - 16 incher.  looks like the one on their website except mine is slab sided and has the free float tube around it..
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top