Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/19/2004 2:21:36 PM EDT
So, I've got a gas block that has nothing on it, and I'm looking to replace it witha four-side-railed gas block. I unscrew the two screws holding the thing on and pull. poof! the gas tube comes off with the gas block. fine, I can deal with that as long as I can get the tube out of the block. HAHAHAHAHHA - laugh the gas block gods, "HE SHALL DO NO SUCH THING" they declare. I've tried every small object in the house but I cannot get the damned pin out of the gas block. This is one frusterating experience between holding the gas block still, hammering a little nail in, etc. Four hours work and no movement of the roll pin. I REFUSE to use my vise or any special tools to do this operation. I have, as such , decided to use money and pay someone else to do it.

now i need to drink.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:54:46 PM EDT
I use a 1/16 inch Craftsman roll pin punch. It has broken on my several times but Sears keeps replacing it for me. It is a very handy tool to have. Of course, even if you get the roll pin out the tube doesn't always come off very easily either. It can sometimes be a real PITA.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:02:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2004 5:02:27 PM EDT by Leisure_Shoot]
gas tube $8.00 + roll pin .50 + shipping $4.00

your gunsmith would have to be awfully cheap.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:18:01 PM EDT
thanks for the link, pursuing that as I type....
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:22:40 PM EDT
A 1/16 punch should make very short work out of it. If for some insane reason it does not come out just buy a new gas tube & pin for $10-15 or so, ALot cheaper than a NY gunsmith.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:26:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:32:21 PM EDT
PERFECT!!!! email sent to steve@adcoyada yada already. I'm not so intrested in doing this myself anymore....
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:01:08 PM EDT
I'm not sure exactly which parts I need....
I know I need the gas tube and the roll pin to keep it on the gas block I have....
How do I know which gas tube to order......
I have a DPMS free floating stainless steel bull barrel upper - 16 incher. looks like the one on their website except mine is slab sided and has the free float tube around it..
Top Top