BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/18/2006 7:34:11 PM EDT
Hey all I am new here as u can tell. Well i have decided that i want an ar but i dont know much about them. I read through the board already but i sitll have a few questions.
1) I am still a college student so i am not exactly swimming in cash right now, so what would be a good price to get an AR for. I dont really want to pay alot for it since money is tight but i dont want to trow money away by buying a cheap piece of crap. I been looking at Bushmaster and they seem decent enough, but by the time i get the rifle down to someone with an ffl lisence or whatever it's called it's probably going to come out around $1k, instead of the $840  or so that they have listed on their site. IS there another good company out there that might be alittle less or is getting this rifle new for under $1k pretty much out of the question.
2) What about maibe buying it used is that even possible? Sorry like i said total noob. Anyways if it is possible how do i know i am not buying something illegal, or total crap. The reason i want the rifle is becasue i plan on getting into law enforcement alittle down the road and i figured and ar would be something good to have around in case things get to hot, so u could see why i would be worry about buying an illegal or bad used rifle.
3) I also saw a few other rifles that where based off the AR or something like that like the 180 or the 18 iam not sure i think it was armalite180, anyways how does that stack up against the AR15, i was planing on getting the m4 version.
Anyways like i said what is there available that wont cost me an arm an a leg and keep in mine this would be a college students arm and leg which is probably kinda cheap lol. Last thing plz remember noob over here so plz dont get upset if i dont understand what u are trying ot tell me right away, keep it simple.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:42:38 PM EDT
[#1]
if i was broke i would save and buy piece by piece and end up with a super ar
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:55:11 PM EDT
[#2]
not a bad idea but i dont really know crap about putting a rifle together or what i would need to buy.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:01:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought my Olymic Arms for $649 new (you can have their A1 version for about $589 or the 'GI Carbine' [M4 config] for $649).

I've had mine since about 10/04, put about 1000 rounds through it, and feel it is a great weapon. The only minor issue I have is the finish. It is not has hard as a Colt or a Bushmaster.

Talk to other Oly owners and you might find that for the price, it is an affordably great introduction to the world of ARs.

(and just for reference, my first AR was an original Colt Sporter bought brand new).
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:50:38 PM EDT
[#4]
My rifle cost me roughly $800 total.

dubisteinspundloch.com/AR15/DSCF4709.JPG

Includes carry handle not seen in pic.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Go onto gunbroker.com and lowball bid until you win something.  The sellers usually charge $20-$25 for shipping to your FFL.  Local FFL's usually charge from $25 to $40 to do the transfer to you.  There is a listing of "friendly" FFL's on the Gunbroker.com site.  Find one near you and have fun.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:37:15 AM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the info guys apreciated.
As for my other question how about the 180 or ar18 how does it stack up, against the ar15 and how much does it cost.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:53:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to the AR jungle, good luck with your ventures.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:11:22 AM EDT
[#8]
hey guys i just saw this one that looks pretty good but in the description it states tha tit comes with several pre-ban features, how could that be i though that post ban rifles could only have 2 of the features. Take a look at it i am somewhat confused,  http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=23

edit::: sorry if i posted this thread in the wrong forums i dint see a newbie forums so i just posted it here.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:18:05 AM EDT
[#9]
zam,

The Clinton ban of '94 sunsetted in Sept '04 unless you live in CA or MD (maybe other states that created their own bans). So there is no Federal AW ban anymore. Weapons being sold as 'pre-ban' during the ban period can now be had again new at low prices (even with all of the 'ugly' features).
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:31:50 AM EDT
[#10]
dont waist your money on a postban like i did

go all out and get a preban that your happy with otherwise you'll spend a whole lot more trying to get what you want out of your ar
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:36:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
dont waist your money on a postban like i did

go all out and get a preban that your happy with otherwise you'll spend a whole lot more trying to get what you want out of your ar

Huh? Did you even look at the link he posted? He's looking at a 'no ban', which is the same as a 'pre-ban'. He is not looking at a 'post-ban' (meaning 'sold during the AW ban with less features').
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:39:54 AM EDT
[#12]
cool thanks yea i just read the law on gunbroker.com and saw that , probably should have snooped around a little before asking such a question. once again thanks fro the help all, i live in FL by the way so iam good to go, sweet.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:41:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Huh? Did you even look at the link he posted? He's looking at a 'no ban', which is the same as a 'pre-ban'. He is not looking at a 'post-ban' (meaning 'sold during the AW ban with less features').

sorry you confused me when you were talkin about clinton

and no i didnt look at the picture in detail

thanks for setting me straight kozmic
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:46:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Quoted:

sorry you confused me when you were talkin about clinton

and no i didnt look at the picture in detail

thanks for setting me straight kozmic

Np - I just wanted to nip any confusion in the bud since it apears that zam is 'just learning'.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:50:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
cool thanks yea i just read the law on gunbroker.com and saw that , probably should have snooped around a little before asking such a question. once again thanks fro the help all, i live in FL by the way so iam good to go, sweet.

BTW - that Oly you're looking at is exactly like mine, and like I said before I have been very happy with its performance (accuracy depends on the shooter, but my Oly shoots very consistent).
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:52:10 AM EDT
[#16]
zam,

what are you going to be using this ar for also
what kind of ranges are you going to be engaging targets at
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

DUDE!!!

Nice Guns you have there!

Seriously, you realize you left the bedroom door open, right?

oh...........and thanks!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:02:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DUDE!!!

Nice Guns you have there!

Seriously, you realize you left the bedroom door open, right?

oh...........and thanks!

Yep - he left more than that open

She's got some very nice guns too!

And I must concur... THANKYOU
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#19]
i'm not a fag or nothing but what happened to the ar15's
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:09:04 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
i'm not a fag or nothing but what happened to the ar15's

Uh... what ARs? I didn't notice any ARs...
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#21]
funny kozmic

but seriously

zam, what will you be using it for
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:14:44 AM EDT
[#22]
well i plan on getting into law enforcement in a year or two, and i thought that  having an AR in the patrol car, might not be such a bad idea. i talked to a few local cops and some of them carry AR with them. So i decided that since i have never even held a rifle before i might as well get one and get to know it, learn how to handle it, be confortible with the weapon that might save my life one day. Plus i wouldn't want to be the only rookie at the academy that dont know how to work a fire arm could u imagine al lthe hazing i would get lol no thanks
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:15:43 AM EDT
[#23]
by the way that link dont work for me. dubisteinspundloch.com/AR15/DSCF4709.JPG
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:18:37 AM EDT
[#24]
zam, have you thought about the following
- quad rail systems
- stocks and grips
- tactical lights
- optics

all of thats gonna cost some money

I'd recogmend getting a preban olympic, something with a colapsable stock and flat top
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:24:57 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
- quad rail systems
- stocks and grips
- tactical lights
- optics

I'd recogmend getting a preban olympic, something with a colapsable stock and flat top

quad rail system?
stocks and grips?
would i need those  for what iwant the rifle for?
if so do i have to buy it now or could i get the rifle now and little by little ad those items??
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:27:40 AM EDT
[#26]
my dirt cheap ar includes the following:

-olympic arms plinker carbine $580 W/O tax (long time ago)
-yhm 2 piece quad rail system $135
-tactical alluminum forgrip $15
-wallmart brinkman xenon flashlight w/ 1" weaver mounts $30
-6 position colapsable stock $60
-4x leapers ar15 scope and mount $40

just proves that you dont have to get the best of the best and spend an arm and a leg to get a cqb rifle or patrol car rifle
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:33:43 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
- quad rail systems
- stocks and grips
- tactical lights
- optics

quad rail system?
stocks and grips?
if so do i have to buy it now or could i get the rifle now and little by little ad those items??

Sorry, I cannot offer you any help with what you will need for your specific purpose, but if budget is the issue - buy the rifle now and adapt as you learn.

But you will need to decide on the carry handle vs flattop questions before you buy. Remeber you can also add a carry handle to a flattop (A3 upper), whereas you cannot remove the handle from a carry handle upper (A1 or A2 upper) (wihtout replacing the whole upper that is, which also can be done if you want leter).
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:33:47 AM EDT
[#28]
sorry i forgot the walmart bsa reddot scope on the side for fast short range targets

-bsa reddot from walmart $30
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:35:34 AM EDT
[#29]
kozmic,

what kind of set up(s) do you have
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:38:42 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
kozmic,

Just your basic home defense configuration...

This excludes my hunting stuff...
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:39:07 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
- quad rail systems
- stocks and grips
- tactical lights
- optics

quad rail system?
stocks and grips?

Sorry, I cannot offer you any help with what you will need for your specific purpose, but if budget is the issue - buy the rifle now and adapt as you learn. he

well i kinda like the way the carry handle looked, is there any advantage/dis  to either one or just personal preferance?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:40:16 AM EDT
[#32]
zam,

have you made up your mind about flattop vs carrying handle
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:42:03 AM EDT
[#33]
kozmic awsome set up

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:43:15 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
- quad rail systems
- stocks and grips
- tactical lights
- optics

quad rail system?
stocks and grips?

Sorry, I cannot offer you any help with what you will need for your specific purpose, but if budget is the issue - buy the rifle now and adapt as you learn. he
umm what do u mean u cant help me with what i will need it for am i asking something i shouldn't or u just dont have any personal experience. Not being a smart ass just  asking i am new to the board so i dont know if somethigns are not allowed or not.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:44:12 AM EDT
[#35]
zam ,

if you go with the flat top you will need a back up sighting system that does no rely on bateries but the carrying handle has some draw backs too

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:44:25 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
kozmic awsome set up

Thx - it all started with the 1911... then the .380... then the Oly... then the Bushy... and my newest baby is the H&K P2K that I think I'm taking to the range for the first time here in a few minutes.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:44:27 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
kozmic,

Just your basic home defense configuration... href=images6.theimagehosting.com/100_0114_sm.JPG

This excludes my hunting stuff...

o dear god i think i just jissed my self.

nice i wish i had a little collection like that, how long did it take to put together.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:45:41 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
zam ,

if you go with the flat top you will need a back up sighting system that does no rely on bateries but the carrying handle has some draw backs too

like what? i was kind of leaning towards the carry handle one.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:46:08 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
umm what do u mean u cant help me with what i will need it for am i asking something i shouldn't or u just dont have any personal experience. Not being a smart ass just  asking i am new to the board so i dont know if somethigns are not allowed or not.

Sorry, I have no experience with carrying an AR as a "service" weapon. Just being honest.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
o dear god i think i just jissed my self.
nice i wish i had a little collection like that, how long did it take to put together.

About ten years. But that was only becuase I had to convince my wife to let me buy each one.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:49:22 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, I have no experience with carrying an AR as a "service" weapon. Just being honest. hr

cool thanks for the honesty
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:50:05 AM EDT
[#42]
zam,

first tell me what kind of sighting system or scope or red dot you plan to use
then i can tell you the draw backs to it
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Okay... I am off to the range to shot my new carry weapon (the H&K P2000).

Zam - good luck with your decision. You will not be disappointed either way you go.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#44]
good talking to you kozmic and good luck with your hk
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:54:16 AM EDT
[#45]
zam,

i am sorry i keep on forgetting that your new to this

tell me what you would like
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:54:51 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Okay... I am off to the range to shot my new carry weapon (the H&K P2000).

Zam - good luck with your decision. You will not be disappointed either way you go.

well thanks for the help man enjoy  the range.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
zam,

Oh and BTW... my Oly uses a 1x red dot sight mounted to a slotted weaver base mounted to my A1 handle that still allows the use of the iron sights if needed (dead battery, etc.).
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:57:07 AM EDT
[#48]
good backup kozmic
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:59:12 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
zam,

i am sorry i keep on forgetting that your new to this

tell me what you would like

is all good dont worry the more info u guys trow at me even if i dont know what it means the better it will be for me in the long run. Well to tell u the truth i have no idea what sight to use, or what scope, Right now i am just doing some preliminary research so that i can hopefully buy my new rifle in about a month or 2. If i had to take a guess those little laser sights seem pretty cool and i guess some kind of scope, so i could see long range a little better. But to tell u the truth i am not to sure if those are allowed by the local law enforcement agencies or not. Either way even if they are not allowed, i guess i could always put them on and off when i am on duty.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:00:39 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
zam,

Oh and BTW... my Oly uses a 1x red dot sight mounted to a slotted weaver base mounted to my A2 handle that still allows the use of the iron sights if needed (dead battery, etc.).

ok i got most of that exept for the slotted weaver base mounted.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top