Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/20/2005 2:36:24 PM EDT
I got my first AR15 parts kit.  I'm not at all familiar with the Stoner design;  all my EBR's are FAL type weapons and I'm in another world now.  My question is this:  I have found two proof marks on the rifle:  the upper has a mark that looks like a keyhole.  The A3 carry handle has a proof mark that looks like the state of maine. (bushmaster?)  I can't find any other proof marks...but I have no idea how to take this this thing apart to get a good look at the barrel inside the handguards.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:47:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I got my first AR15 parts kit.  I'm not at all familiar with the Stoner design;  all my EBR's are FAL type weapons and I'm in another world now.  My question is this:  I have found two proof marks on the rifle:  the upper has a mark that looks like a keyhole.  The A3 carry handle has a proof mark that looks like the state of maine. (bushmaster?)  I can't find any other proof marks...but I have no idea how to take this this thing apart to get a good look at the barrel inside the handguards.

Short answer is proof marks show who made the forging, not who milled the part.  You will never know unless you bought it directly from the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:24:05 PM EDT
[#2]
And they're not proof marks. They're simply ID marks from the companies who turned out the raw forgings----and most everyone uses forgings from the same few forges.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top