Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2012 7:38:38 PM EDT
I got my first AR15 M&P 223, I shot about 300 roudns through it and had some questions.

Can I store 20 rounds in a 30 round clip for weeks/months, or will that hurt the spring?

The troy sight kept coming loose, eventually I tightened it really good, but any advice on how to keep it on there good?

I was shooting at about 35~ yards, and was making groupings of 2-4 inches for 29 rounds, is that pretty decent? Or should I sight it more? If it was closer, my groupings got much tighter.

The gun got kind of smokey after all those rounds, is that pretty normal?

I also noticed the barrel is now brownish/orange, is there a safe way of cleaning it off? I plan to watch a few youtube videos to take it a part, but never saw much on the barrel itself.

thanks ya'll :)
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:56:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2012 7:57:56 PM EDT by WillAndrews]
Originally Posted By vivithemage:
I got my first AR15 M&P 223, I shot about 300 roudns through it and had some questions.

Can I store 20 rounds in a 30 round clip for weeks/months, or will that hurt the spring? You can store 30 in a 30 for years

The troy sight kept coming loose, eventually I tightened it really good, but any advice on how to keep it on there good? Blue Loctite

I was shooting at about 35~ yards, and was making groupings of 2-4 inches for 29 rounds, is that pretty decent? Or should I sight it more? If it was closer, my groupings got much tighter. Just keep practicing

The gun got kind of smokey after all those rounds, is that pretty normal? Yep

I also noticed the barrel is now brownish/orange, is there a safe way of cleaning it off? I plan to watch a few youtube videos to take it a part, but never saw much on the barrel itself.CLP + rag

Congrats. Enjoy your new rifle!
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:00:55 PM EDT

Can I store 20 rounds in a 30 round clip for weeks/months, or will that hurt the spring? Magazine, not clip You can store ammo for years and years in mag, it's the loading and unloading that works the spring and wears it out

The troy sight kept coming loose, eventually I tightened it really good, but any advice on how to keep it on there good? Blue loctite? (on the screw)

I was shooting at about 35~ yards, and was making groupings of 2-4 inches for 29 rounds, is that pretty decent? Or should I sight it more? If it was closer, my groupings got much tighter.

The gun got kind of smokey after all those rounds, is that pretty normal? Oils burning off, normal

I also noticed the barrel is now brownish/orange, is there a safe way of cleaning it off? I plan to watch a few youtube videos to take it a part, but never saw much on the barrel itself. Errr..rust?

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:01:07 PM EDT
I agree with what WillAndrews said.

I'll add that I've been told movement (compression/decompression) is what wears springs out, not constant compression. I don't hesitate to store magazines loaded.

Big +1 on the locktite, I use it on anything that gets bolted on.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:05:06 PM EDT
I keep 28 in my magazines

ymmv.... many say it's not needed, I do it so it's easy to seat the magazine on a closed bolt.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:09:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2012 8:38:50 PM EDT by vivithemage]
perfect everyone, thanks a lot!

I cannot imagine it's rust, it's 1.5 years or so old, bought from a fellow on here, it's only had 900~ rounds through it as of this point...took a better look, and it's just residual from fireing...cleaned right off with paper towel spit.

Can I use CLP + 80% 0W-40 full synthetic to clean it? Or should it be JUST CLP?

Should I get this locktite

link

or this?

link
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:14:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2012 8:17:42 PM EDT by JCunningham]
they dont make 30 round clips. clips only hold 10 rounds. they do make 30 round mags tho this is a clip. just clp. it is cleaner and lube all in one.its all you need to clean and lube a AR

welcome to BRD work overtime you will need it
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:18:26 PM EDT

I cannot imagine it's rust, it's 1.5 years or so old, bought from a fellow on here, it's only had 900~ rounds through it as of this point...took a better look, and it's just residual from fireing...cleaned right off with paper towel spit.

link

or this?

link

Either one will work. The placement and amount of lube used matters more than the brand. We have a sub-forum just about cleaning and maintenance. http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_3/7_Maintenance_andamp__Cleaning.html

Any loctite will work, just beware of the temp you will have to heat it to to remove it. My $25 heat gun gets hot enough for red, but blue is plenty for most applications.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:26:01 PM EDT
You need to heat locktite to remove it?

I will browse that section, thanks!

Can I leave my gun dirty for a few days before I clean it? I assume a small amount of CLP goes a long way? Just put it on a rag, at least for the barrel?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:31:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2012 8:31:57 PM EDT by JCunningham]
use blue no heat required. do not use red. red is high strength. blue medium
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:39:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2012 8:40:51 PM EDT by vivithemage]
Oh wait, is this the one?

linky
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:45:52 PM EDT

link

or this?

link

Depending on many conditions you'd be surprised.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:47:38 PM EDT
On that topic, what could cause it to rust?

Also, I am seeing 2 versions of the blue, 243 and 242...243 seems to be for higher heat, so I should grab it for this application, no?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:49:17 PM EDT

linky

That one will work fine.

You need to heat locktite to remove it?

I will browse that section, thanks!

Can I leave my gun dirty for a few days before I clean it? I assume a small amount of CLP goes a long way? Just put it on a rag, at least for the barrel?

Lets just say that heat makes it alot easier.

Won't hurt anything.

A small amount of CLP goes along way, if you're wiping down the outside of the gun. Be generous when you use it for lube.

There is an overwhelming amount of info on the sight. If you make an effort to read 1 FAQ or tacked thread/night, you'll be an expert in no time. Cleaning and maintenance is a good place to start.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:50:56 PM EDT
Thanks, I will definitely get on that maintenance thread/section.

Is 243 better then 242 blue though, hrmmm.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:51:11 PM EDT
Corrosive ammo, not cleaning your rifle after using corrosive ammo, moisture to include humidity. I personally clean mine after everytime I go shoot and then throw it back in the closet. You probably don't have to clean that frequently unless you are usiing corrosive ammo, but I am anal rententive that way with my firearms.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:52:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2012 8:58:14 PM EDT by kevinb120]

linky

Threadlock is generally 'color coded' for the intended use. For the most part, blue is blue. I use loctite 242. You don't need to order it, you can get it just about anywhere that sells tools or any home improvement store, heck even some convenience stores have it. The upper receiver doesn't ever get hot enough to necessitate anything for 'high heat', I use blue on everything that may need to be removed at a later date, including many high-end RC components, and the pinion on something like a large RC heli motor gets PLENTY hot with no problems.

And just use CLP straight to lube the weapon and protect it, it can be used all over the rifle on any metal part inside and out. Although I typically use actual powder cleaner like Hoppe's 9 for the actual cleaning. There are a bunch of specialty cleaners for specific types of cleaning, like carbon build-up over time, but you'll learn as you go along. Typically you clean with a cleaner, then dress with CLP, you can wipe down everything after you're done with it and it 'dries' rather then leaving oily film everywhere. It makes parkerized weapons look like new.

You will pretty much need right away to clean:
Hoppe's 9 and CLP
An AR15 chamber brush, a Dewey rod helps a LOT-which is like a cleaning rod with a screwdriver handle that does not spin freely.
.22 cal cleaning rods/brushes and/or a bore snake in .22
Standard fare patches/tooth brushes/q-tips, etc you would use for any firearm.

There's a maintenance forum here that will tell you everything you need to know.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:54:54 PM EDT
Thanks!

If 242 holds up for you, I have to imagine you have shot enough to where you know 242 doesn't get too hot to fail in a firearm.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:07:24 PM EDT
Thanks!

If 242 holds up for you, I have to imagine you have shot enough to where you know 242 doesn't get too hot to fail in a firearm.

Yes, I've put close to 10k through a rifle, without the blue loctite failing on the rear sight.

I use Red for something like a gas block, which gets alot hotter.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:10:06 PM EDT
Blue 242 is great for things that bolt on like scope mount screws, rail sections and such but there is only one place on standard configuration AR15's that is use is recommended and that is the butt plate screws on the A1 and A2 stocks.

All it takes is one drop.

With other things like clamp on gas blocks you should follow the manufacturers recommendation.

Red 272 is practical permanent and I am speaking from experience. ( please don't ask for details )

Some guys got lucky with Red 272 because the threads were oily but don't chance it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:12:32 AM EDT
blue it is, thanks!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:59:11 AM EDT
Just use Breakfree CLP on your rifle and put the motor oil in the car.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:46:20 PM EDT
Motor oil works great as gun lube. Plus it is a lot cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:01:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 1saxman:
Just use Breakfree CLP on your rifle and put the motor oil in the car.

Breakfree CLP smokes like a bastard and burns off. Plus it's a rip off.

If the synthetic motor oil can keep a high performance engine lubed at 13k rpms it'll do just fine in your rifle.

Top Top