Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/17/2006 7:12:15 PM EDT
what is the best suppressor/compensator/brake for keeping noise as low as possible?  In a reasonable cost.  I've read that brakes are very noisy and that true silencers are very expensive, and require a stamp tax.

thanx
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:38:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Why ask? Are you planning to do something naughty?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
what is the best suppressor/compensator/brake for keeping noise as low as possible?  In a reasonable cost.  I've read that brakes are very noisy and that true silencers are very expensive, and require a stamp tax.

thanx

I think that ANY muzzle device that reduces the noise (as compared to a bare barrel) would probably have to technically count as a supressor, and require the tax stamp.  So while some brakes might make it louder than a regular A2 or bare crown, you are probably not going to find one that can keep the noise down below that of a regular A2 flash hider, or a bare corwn.

However - the Noveske/Krinkov is supposed to re-direct that blast away from the shooter more effectively, making it appear less noisy from the shooter's persepctice - so maybe that would be useful to you?  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:57:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Why ask? Are you planning to do something naughty? hr

hearing acuity is very important in my job - can't afford any possible hearing loss, would also use muffs.  belt and suspenders type of concept
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:30:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've read that true silencers are very expensive, and require a stamp tax.

You can have a top of the line 5.56 suppressor for under $700 after the tax stamp.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can have a top of the line 5.56 suppressor for under $700 after the tax stamp.

You must have some friendly C3 dealers in your neck of the woods. I was quoted "8 to 850ish including the required flash hider" today from a local dealer. If I could get into reasonable DB's for under $700 including stamp I would be thrilled.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:51:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

thanx

If you want to reduce noise for the shooter....., use a Bulgarian Krinkov 4-Piece Flash Suppressor.  It concentratests the muzzle blast forward greatly reducing noise for the shooter. I use one on my DPMS Varmint AR & I can shoot no problem w/o muffs!!

There awesome!!!  

If you want, email me & I'll send you some pics.  I don't know how to post pics here.

I've heard Noveske makes their own version.., but  I've also heard their adaptor to 1/2"x28 muzzle threads is still having some problems!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:06:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You must have some friendly C3 dealers in your neck of the woods. I was quoted "8 to 850ish including the required flash hider" today from a local dealer. If I could get into reasonable DB's for under $700 including stamp I would be thrilled.

Well, some of the savings is due to mine being a thread-mount suppressor -- QD models cost about $150 more or so. The SRT Hurricane has an MSRP of $525, so you should be able to easily get it for less than $500 in your area. It tied for first place in Al Paulson's testing of seventeen 5.56 suppressor models.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:20:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top