Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/23/2006 2:54:12 PM EDT
First, let me say that I've been searching the forums to see if this has been addressed before and I can't find it.  If so, please point me in the right direction.  There's a ton of info on this site!

Don't own an AR but hoping to soon.  I've spent way too many years shooting coyotes with bolt actions and think it's time to try something that looks like a lot of fun.  So I've been doing a little searching around and I've come to realize that AR15s have so many configurations, after market add-ons, etc. that I'm completely lost.  There's a whole new language to learn.

I plan to purchase a heavy barreled (20") AR and from what I can gather, it looks like RRA, DPMS, or Bushmaster are all safe bets.  They all sell a "varmit" version that retails from $900 up.  That is, until I came across the ads from Combat Technologies of Arkansas on Guns America.  They're selling varmit versions with Wilson Combat barrels for $750.  Sound too good to be true.

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about CT of Arkansas?  I'm very hesitant to do business over the internet so I need a little confidence boost.  Also, does anyone have another suggestion for a flat-top, heavy barrel that must be absolutely reliable and fairly accurate (moa).  I commonly shoot between 20 feet and 250 yards at coyotes in normally sub-zero temps with 55 grain factory ammo.

I appreciate any suggestions you can give a newbie.  With a little help and a little luck I hope to get this right the first time and avoid expensive mistakes.

Scott
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:04:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Who makes the guns that Combat Technology is selling?  The brands that you mention all have good reputations, and I would prefer to get something from a known manufacturer then one that I know nothing about.  

If you are patient you can find pretty good deals on the equipment exchange.

I know that you said that you are hesitant to do business over the Internet, but the equipment exchange here is a great place to get stuff.  Even if you do not buy from a private individual there are a number of dealers that have pretty good prices.  I would not hesitate to do business with any of the dealers on this site.  Also, if you see something that you really like from a private individual you can always check the feedback section to figure out how the person has conducted business in the past.

Hope this helps, I am not the expert that some people on this site are.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:53:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the tips civprod!  I'll certainly check out the EE section.

The ARs listed by Combat Tech of Arkansas on GunsAmerica are built from RRA or DPMS uppers and lowers with Wilson barrels.  The Arkansas company simply does the assembly.

I was looking at the post on the Bushmaster Predator.  Looks like it's right up my alley.  I'll have to check those out.  

I suppose I better get comfortable with internet purchases because there's no AR dealers of any kind within a half day's drive from where I'm sitting.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top