Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 4/3/2006 9:55:09 AM EST
I need the help of the educated.

before the "ban madness" set in some years back, I bought a Colt AR15 A2. telescoping stock, thin barrel, govt marked etc. I've added a few things and such, but here's my problem;
I cant stand the carry handle and using a gooseneck for my eotech makes it look silly and weighted too far forward for my tastes.

so I want a flat top for sure. but my issues surround terms like "large hole/small hole" and if I should tear into this rifle to make it the way I want (complete new upper, barrel, handguards, etc) or leave this rifle as is and build/buy exactly what I want.

I live in Texas so preban/postban really doesnt matter to me.
overall, the rifle is in great shape and prolly only has 1000 rounds thru it.

thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:55:38 AM EST
If you like this rifle and the way it shoots, keep it...

If money is an issue, sell it and buy what you want or take it to an armorer/gunsmith and have whatever you want done to it.

I'd suggest just starting from scratch, buying a lower assembly and upper just the way you want and then you'll have two nice rifles! ;)

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:03:13 AM EST
You could always sell your "preban" rifle to someone in a ban state (like mine, NY). You would fetch a pretty good price for it. Then you could buy a new bushmaster in the configuration you want, and probably have money left over for accessories/ammo.

If you are not hung up on owning a Colt, this would be the route to go, IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:07:07 AM EST
Since I am kind of in the same boat so to speak, this is what I am doing. Keep what you have, and buy what you want. With all the AR options out there these days you should be able to setup one 100% how you want. 2 is better than 1 IMHO
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:24:39 AM EST
so far, good info guys...thanks.

money is only an issue since I've got so much tied up in other guns (damn HK stuff....aint that right, xeno lol).

mostly my issue is that I've got a number of clip fed guns in 223 so I know once I got another complete AR styled 223, I wouldnt ever shoot this one so it would sit, along with a lot of other guns.

I'm not overly stuck on colt.

another thought is to pull my bolt/carrier/charge handle and transfer to a new complete upper. but that puts me back into the 'large hole/small hole' thing I dont understand. if I'm correct, everything else just goes back together, assuming the upper/lower mate.
hell, I dunno. that's why I differ to the smart folks. lol
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:41:08 AM EST
B-D just found your post and see you have the Colt A2 w/pencil barrel

That is a great gun, but can open up a lot of options by just changing out the upper receiver.

Thats the least expensive route and will feel and look like a new gun.

For a similar investment you can get a complete upper from Bravo Company or CMMG

Here are links to their offerings:

BravoCompany Best bet is a 14.5" version with a permanently attached Phantom FH


CMMG also like the 14.5" model with permanently attached Phantom

The latter is a bit more money but includes a bolt/bolt carrier

Both are great companies to deal with and would give you that new-gun look, feel, and performance

Good luck !
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:30:24 AM EST
thanks a ton redfisher....that helps me a lot~
Top Top