Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/28/2003 5:13:08 PM EDT
good evening. i'm primarily a bechrest shooter(6mm rem). i just purchased a bushmaster xm15 a2/camo version. i have always wanted an ar and finally did it. can u offer any advice regarding this weapon. i got it used but it was actually brand new with a cheap nstar scope(seems like a garbage scope based on what i usually use), case, video, sight tool, take down tool. i paid 800.00.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 5:26:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome[beer]  

I'll let the others chat with you about your rifle. Sounds like a good deal to me[:D]
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 12:09:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I’m new here too, but welcome to the board.

Advise: I’d just clean it and shoot it, that’s what they’re made for.

For benchrest are you shooting 6mm Remington BR or 6mm Remington? I’ve always liked the 6mm Rem BR. I’d like to get a 40X in that caliber some day.

Best regards, J
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 12:54:58 AM EDT
[#3]
[wave]
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 1:09:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Greetings![newbie]
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 1:11:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to AR15.com, Here are a few tips that will keep you out of the trouble shooting section.

Buy only USGI mags for the rifle; the cheap USA clone mags will cause you nothing but problems.  To find mags, look in the EE for the current deals.
[url] http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=7&f=24[/url]

As for cleaning and lubing the rifle, only use CLP, with a good copper solvent to clean the bore only, then a light coat of CLP to get the solvent out of the chamber/barrel.  Also, don't forget to give a shot of CLP down the gas tube during cleaning, it will keep the gas ports clean.

The cheapest source of CLP is currently BreekfreeCLP, and can be bought at Walmart for under $9 for a 16oz can.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 3:52:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Welcome to our little slice of heaven.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 9:51:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Welcome!! I'm new around here myself.
These folks are the best-listen to
them-there's alot to learn as I've found
out!
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 2:47:27 PM EDT
[#8]
jtr: i shoot a 6mm rem/hart barrel/burris scope/40x trigger(fart trigger)/remington action.
thanks all for the welcome. the video for my bushmaster is pretty intimidating. push pins everywhere. it was a complete assembly video. i have always been intrigued with the ar, the coolest looking weapon around. i shot it for the first time today and it was a blast. btw: on the bushmaster video, the guy used 10w 30 motor oil to lube the parts. is this common?
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 4:22:17 PM EDT
[#9]
ohioghog,  Welcome aboard!  Well you screwed up and shot the thing, that's it...you're hooked.  If I remember the video correctly, they just recommend using non detergent motor oil for keeping the outside looking good, not for lubricating the innards.  Best to use CLP or other premium gun lube for the moving parts, especially the bolt.  Motor oil will attract all sorts of nasty things and deposit them in places where they shouldn't be.  Since you are a benchrest shooter, I imagine that you will be wanting a new (better)trigger soon.  The RRA two stage has a very good rep on this board, I don't personally own one, but I'm sure I will eventually.  You will also quickly realize that your new Bushy deserves good optics.  I won't presume to advise an experienced shooter on brands or makes, just don't scrimp on the quality!  Be sure to get lots of ammo, your AR will go through more ammo in 5 minutes than your bolt gun will in an entire day.  Lastly, clean out at least half of your gun storage area now, you are going to need the room for all of the "AR essentials" that will begin arriving soon. Heh heh  
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#10]
[wave]

MM419
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 4:44:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Welcome to the board. [wave]
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 5:06:13 PM EDT
[#12]
You've gone and done it now. You'll be building another one then another one and then another one. No cure for the black rifle deases. Welcome aboard.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Hello and Welcome!!!

Link Posted: 7/29/2003 6:50:45 PM EDT
[#14]
its funny that you guys mentioned to make room for all the extra essentials that i will be getting for the ar. i just ordered about 250.00 worth of "furniture enhancements". i saw some pics of the weapons on this board. you guys (& gals) have some pretty awsome set-ups. it seems to be an art form. maybe i'll sell my benchrest gun and get a nice pre-ban ar. for now, im happy with my entry model.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 1:14:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Welcome,

Stick to gun lubes and GI mags.  Motor oil is what you use when lost in Africa and the bad guys are after you.

De Oppresso Liber
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 1:10:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Howdy!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top