Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2003 10:51:46 AM EDT
Hi guys, I've decided to get my first AR this Christmas season. So far I think I am going to get a Bushmaster, and I am trying to decide on whether to get the M4 type 14.5" bbl, or the standard 20" ar-15.

I think I do want a mini-y compensator to reduce muzzle climb and to give the rifle a more authentic look, although I'm not sure if I want to deal with the noise increase. Also I am not sure if I like the shock wave that it might create. I used to have a savage in 30-06 and the shock wave is what annoyed me the most, more then the recoil hat
I also can't decide on whether to get A2 or A3 sights. I figure that if I get A3 sights that will leave room for customization later, if I want to get a scope and bipod for the 20" or a red dot scope for the M4, for example. But do A3 sights with the carry handle look weird compared to the permanant A2 sights, and are they as strong or at least strong enough not to loose zero even when used as a carrying handle?

Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Just get a 20" A3 with no muzzle brake for starters.  The carry handle will let you know if you like irons, while giving you the option of optics and back up iron sights.  You can't go wrong with a bushmaster.

[url]http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/XM15_E2S_20__A3_Heavy_Bbl_Rifle.html[/url]

769.95 + $20 FFL fee...

This rifle would be a great starter and will help you figure out what you want with your next one...

There is a lot of good info on this board.

Read up and good luck.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 11:09:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hi guys, I've decided to get my first AR this Christmas season. So far I think I am going to get a Bushmaster, and I am trying to decide on whether to get the M4 type 14.5" bbl, or the standard 20" ar-15.
View Quote

M4 type - definately M4 for the lighter weight.

I think I do want a mini-y compensator to reduce muzzle climb and to give the rifle a more authentic look,
View Quote

Trust me the .223 doesn't really need it, but if you really want the look there is a better option.  After purchasing the rifle send the upper to Kurts Kustom (see him in the Industry section - look at the top of the page).  Have him put on his A3 tac-brake.  It not obnoxious (unlike the Mini-Y comp) and looks like an elongated A2 flash supressor.  You'll love the look - very authentic.

I also can't decide on whether to get A2 or A3 sights. I figure that if I get A3 sights that will leave room for customization later
View Quote

Flattop! (that would be A2 in Bushmaster speak)

But do A3 sights with the carry handle look weird compared to the permanant A2 sights,
View Quote

Who cares what they look like?  Is it a fasion model or a rifle?

P.S. Most people can't tell the difference from a couple of yards away.

and are they as strong or at least strong enough not to loose zero even when used as a carrying handle?
View Quote

They are strong enough for guys that jump out of airplanes with them - they will be strong enough for you.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:29:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmm I think I will go with the 20" hbar then. I'll get a m4 style after the AWB sunsets and I can get all the goodies. I think I will pass on the compensator for now and maybe get one of those other custom ones put on later. I just can't decide whether to get A2 or A3 sights now. The A2 sights look more steamlined but the flattop offers more customization. How well do scopes work that are mounted on top of the handguard? I could also go that route.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:41:19 PM EDT
[#4]
GO with a bushmaster 16 1/7 flattop
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:55:40 PM EDT
[#5]
If this will be your only AR (which I doubt) get a 16" barrel with flat-top.

If not, either one of 20" A2 PROFILE (this is very important) flat-top or 14.5" M4 flat-top is fine. If you elect to go for 14.5", send that to KKF immediately and put a A3 Tac Brake on it. If you put mini-Y comp as I did, you will regret it later.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:01:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I think I want to get a full sized 20" bbl rifle since I already have a sar-1 ak47 which has a 16" bbl. I am thinking I will eventually get a bipod and a good scope for it to make it an accurate long range shooter and save my ak for bumb-firing and such. What does an A2 profile mean?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:22:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think I want to get a full sized 20" bbl rifle since I already have a sar-1 ak47 which has a 16" bbl. I am thinking I will eventually get a bipod and a good scope for it to make it an [red]accurate long range shooter[/red] and save my ak for bumb-firing and such. What does an A2 profile mean?
View Quote

Can't go wrong with a RRA 20" Varminter then.  Very accurate and reliable.  Nice 2 stage trigger and a lifetime warranty.  Mine will shoot .5 moa with handloads very consistently (if i do my part), and it has never malfunctioned.

[url]http://rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=AR1500&storeid=1&image=rva4.gif[/url]

It sounds like you are really undecided now too.  Give yourself a few weeks to decide what type of AR you want and what you are going to do with it.  Be sure you get what you really want.

IMO, I think it is a good idea to get a precision AR since you already have a blaster.  Even better if you reload so you can make very accurate ammo.  Buy the best scope you can afford too if you go this route.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top