Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 12/22/2003 8:06:47 PM EDT
just purchased BM w/non-chrome bore. Did I read somewhere something about moly or synthetic bore conditioners if used during break-in seal the metal pores and down the road there's less fouling and easier cleaning etc.. does that sound familiar to anybody or am I getting it mixed up with something else?
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:10:51 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 11B_steve:
just purchased BM w/non-chrome bore. Did I read somewhere something about moly or synthetic bore conditioners if used during break-in seal the metal pores and down the road there's less fouling and easier cleaning etc.. does that sound familiar to anybody or am I getting it mixed up with something else?
View Quote

Never heard about that, I just use CLP break free to swab the bore during break-in. The protocol I always use is:

1 swab with break free and then 1 swab dry patch after every round for the first 50 rounds then...

1 swab with break free and then 1 swab dry patch after every 3 rounds until 75 rounds have been fired then...

1 swab with break free and then 1 swab dry patch after every 5 rounds until 100 rounds have been fired. Then clean with CLP and Hoppes and lube thoroughly with tetra oil in action and bore, and tetra grease on FCG.

I think a chrome-moly bore can last a long time vs Chromed, but there is a bit more care and maintenance involved, IMHO.

_DR
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:15:54 AM EDT
Hmm.  I've heard of moly coating bullets, in fact I know some folks who do.  It cuts down big time on the cleanup effort.  But I've never heard of moly coating the entire barrel... since I'm not aware of it that probably means it's a common practice!
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:27:14 AM EDT
i've only heard of non chrome bore on ebay. beware.  i've been told that bushmaster only produces chrome bore. not e.r.shaw barrels. contact BM for info, unless you bought it from them. good luck.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:44:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/23/2003 7:00:49 AM EDT by _DR]
Edited to say: I just looked at Bushmaster's catalog. All their bores are chromed except the SS. If you have an non-chromed, non-stainless barrel, are you sure it is a Bushmaster? That does't seem to be possible unless it is a non-catalog item. Could it be a parts rifle assembled on a bushmaster lower or after market upper?
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:34:53 AM EDT
I believe some of there DCM and varmint barrels are available non-chrome.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:37:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:42:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/23/2003 7:44:19 AM EDT by W-W]
Try EEZOX...It seems to do just that.  [url]http://www.eezox.com[/url]

Oh, It's not moly though.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:44:14 AM EDT
Yes, Slidelock and Aimless, the only bores they make that are NOT chrome lined and NOT Stainless are their Varminter, and their DCM barrel, as of my last inspection (just recently bought a varminter swapped out for a chromy 24").

Just proper break in will "seal" up the pores in a sense.  But I believe this is directed more toward the conditioners you mentioned.  I have not heard of those.

I would agree with you _DR, that a non chrome lined will last a long time.  It's said that a normal chrome-oly will start to show throat wear (accuracy is effected) around 10,000 rounds.  A heathly number for sure.  As for chrome, they are usually rated at 20,000.  This of course these numbers can be effected by full auto fire/never ending bumfiring.

I do believe that when treated right, standard chrome-oly bores are great.  I just got the chrome because I'm looking at tons of fmj ammo, a little wolf, and some unpleasurable conditions.  It was mostly a piece of mind issue.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 10:16:19 AM EDT
yep, it's a varminter. hey, I found that article again and I'm going to put the question (the right way) up again on another board.
thanks guys!
Top Top