Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/12/2005 1:45:14 AM EDT
ok, so i'm replacing my barrel in a few weeks and i guess i'll need to get a new bolt, right? question is, where can i order a new colt bolt from? do i have to call colt or is there an easier way? TIA.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:51:44 AM EDT
Check the EE. A few dealers there have them, IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:52:32 AM EDT
it is good but ultimatly no, you dont have to.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:59:50 AM EDT
If the rifle headspaces ok with your old bolt, you do not need a new one.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:34:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Gregory_K:
If the rifle headspaces ok with your old bolt, you do not need a new one.

+1
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:42:06 AM EDT
If you are replacing your barrel because it is shot out, then the bolt is due also. I would not run a bolt past 10,000 rounds (even though they can go much further).

Like the others said, EE is the best bet, they pop up quite a bit.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:00:27 AM EDT
ok, thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:08:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Ekie:
If you are replacing your barrel because it is shot out, then the bolt is due also. I would not run a bolt past 10,000 rounds (even though they can go much further).

I have seen this statement made on several occasions. I'm not being critical, but am curious as to the basis of this recommendation. Does .gov do this when they rebarrel? If the barrel is capable of going past 10k would anyone feel it necessary to scrap the bolt at that point in order to keep going with the barrel? When rebarreling a bolt action rifle, almost never is the bolt replaced.

Other folks have suggested that 20k to as much as 50k is a more reasonable lifespan for a bolt.

Sam
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:51:55 AM EDT
when the bolt wears they wear together probably the bolt more than the bbl. extension.

the bolt wearing would cause a change in headspace and therefore should be atleast checked when "swapping over"
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:14:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Samuel_Hoggson:

I have seen this statement made on several occasions. I'm not being critical, but am curious as to the basis of this recommendation. Does .gov do this when they rebarrel? If the barrel is capable of going past 10k would anyone feel it necessary to scrap the bolt at that point in order to keep going with the barrel? When rebarreling a bolt action rifle, almost never is the bolt replaced.

Other folks have suggested that 20k to as much as 50k is a more reasonable lifespan for a bolt.

Sam

The Government does not always swap out the bolt when rebuilding an M16 type rifle. For instance the M16A2 upgrade kit comes less a bolt. There was a thread here about a month ago detailing old bolts failing in upgraded M16A2 rifles.

The 10,000 round limit is just my advise, nothing more. My thoughts are that the Ar-15 bolt is a weak sister and that the design team went to far with shrinking Stoner's rifle down to .223.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:50:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Samuel_Hoggson:

Sam

The Government does not always swap out the bolt when rebuilding an M16 type rifle. For instance the M16A2 upgrade kit comes less a bolt. There was a thread here about a month ago detailing old bolts failing in upgraded M16A2 rifles.

The 10,000 round limit is just my advise, nothing more. My thoughts are that the Ar-15 bolt is a weak sister and that the design team went to far with shrinking Stoner's rifle down to .223.

Thanks. I ask b/c there seems to be a wide divergence of opinion on this issue. Bolts are relatively inexpensive, I suppose. But I hate wasting $. A friend has close on 50k on one bolt that he nonchalantly swaps among different uppers. He laughs at me for worrying about dedicating one bolt to each upper.

I'm a little more paranoid and have dedicated bolts for each upper. I have reached 10k with one bolt/upper combo. But things are still rosy, and all I'm doing is blasting in FA. FWIW, I have never broken so much as an extractor, and I shoot alot of Wolf.

Anyway, thanks for responding.

Sam
Top Top