Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/22/2003 3:33:38 PM EDT
My dad has been wanting to buy my ar from me for a while. It is a Bushmaster 20" ss barelled A3. It comes with a Trijicon, varminter handguard, Harris bipod and 3 30 round usgi mags. I told him because he was my dad I would sell it to him for $1000. He doesn't have the money right now. So the other day I was at a gun store and saw a Colt m4 A3 there that I really wanted. I had a bright idea. I called dad and told him if he bought the Colt for the asking price of 750 I would trade him for my gun. He went to the gun shop and traded a couple guns and got the colt. He called me on the phone when he got home and said that he had bought it. I asked him if he wanted me to come over and bring my bushy so we could trade. He told me he liked the m4 and thought he might keep it. It really pissed me off. I was going to just buy the colt outright and have 2 Ar's. Instead I thought I would be the loving son and give my dad a helluva deal. Now I wish I would have just bought it when I was up at the gun store. Should I be pissed or let it go? I know he is my dad and all but, it pisses me off.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 3:40:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Stay prone......lead coming your way!

Dave S
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 3:45:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Let it go.  I've been through similar stuff with family.  No more.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 3:48:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I say let it go, move on.

There are many AR's and you only have 1 Dad.

Besides, one day it may be yours.

Life is too short to argue amongst family.

Enjoy the time with him while you can.

IMO

MM419
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 3:49:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Just accept it, he is your father, adn I am sure at sometime you have caused him grief. keep looking around, you will find another M4
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 3:53:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess I should have added that I didn't say anthing to him about it. I am one of those guys that keeps his mouth shut and stews. lol
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#6]
One time my buddy found a pre ban bushmaster carbine for $950.  He really wanted it, so I said I'd buy it and hang on to it until he had the money.  Well after I'd had it for a few days he knew better than to ask me for it (he could see I'd fallen in love)  So instead of making an issue he just went out and found a colt preban.  He's a damn good freind.  His attitude to that situation was that a freind is more important than a gun.  If my freind can let it slide for me you should be able to do the same for your dad.  Just be happy for him.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I can tell I'm gonna get brow beat for this...lol
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 4:12:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like your dad and mine are alot alike. My dad had a little trouble with this guy harassing him, so one day, the guy confronted him at a red light and the cops were called. Anyway, they took my dad's pistol away from him. I lent my dad my Glock 23 since I didn't want him to be unarmed the next time this happened. He thinks it's his now. I don't think I'll ever get it back from him.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 4:28:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Just give it to your Dad, and buy what you want.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 4:35:49 PM EDT
[#10]
There are plenty of AR's out there in the fishpond so don't worry about it. Who knows, you just might find one at a better price. Patience does eventually payoff.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 5:09:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree with Minuteman. Been there done that and it is NOT worth it. Just see if the owner will order you one just like the one your dad purchased and then have two of them. You were trying to help him out and he eveidently missed the opportunity. No big deal. Let it roll off and go on.[;)]
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 5:30:09 PM EDT
[#12]
dont get mad about it, you will find another one and just buy that one. can you blame him for wanting to keep it.

you might end up with it some day anyway. my dad gave me all his guns.

maybe the two of you can go shooting sometimes. my dad would never have approved of the ar15-he thought no one needed one of those rifles.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Shit, for $750 I woulda kept the Colt too.

Link Posted: 8/22/2003 8:50:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Why don't you and your dad go shooting together and make new memories not soon and never forgotten.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 2:23:31 PM EDT
[#15]
A verbal agreement is still a contract . Take him on Judge Judy .
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 2:24:26 PM EDT
[#16]
A verbal agreement is still a contract . Take him on Judge Judy .
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#17]
i dont know why everyone thinks its ok for his dad to do that?
i am now a dad and i wouldnt ever do that to my sons.
if he didnt tell him flat out he wanted that gun then it was fair game. but if he told his father he wanted to trade for it or otherwise he was going to buy it then thats just BS!
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 3:12:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
if he didnt tell him flat out he wanted that gun then it was fair game. but if he told his father he wanted to trade for it or otherwise he was going to buy it then thats just BS!
View Quote

I agree 100%.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes, Dad was wrong about backing out of your trade (and he probably knows it deep down inside).  

But, why get all hacked off and maybe say something that will mess things up between you guys for a long time?  Even though we're talking about our beloved ARs here, they still fall under the category of "stuff" which is way less important than family and friends.

Be glad that you have a dad who shares your interest in ARs (my sons love them too).  

Best course of action--Invite him to go out shooting with you and show him how to care for his new weapon.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 4:06:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I sure wish my dad was still alive.  I would apologize for all the stupid arguments I had with him about nothing more important than objects.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#21]
I say go shoot with him and compete with him at 300-400 yards. When you whip the pants off of him, act very proud of your 20" and say something like "Damn, and to think I almost traded you!" [smoke] By then, he should be upset at his deciscion, and he may change his mind!

..On second thought, you shouldn't play Jedi mind tricks on your family, it's just not nice. Now your friends however....[;)]
B9
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 9:48:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Look at it this way,  it's almost like you got the Colt for free...  you can probably shoot it all you want to,  and you still got to keep the Bushy on top of that.

Plus, you only have one Dad, and there are thousands of ARs out there....
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 5:20:47 AM EDT
[#23]
If you didn't have a signed purchase agreement then your Dad can keep the rifle if he likes.

Cripe, this is not a big problem.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 11:57:03 AM EDT
[#24]

So you told him about a good deal and he took it. Now you don't have the rifle.

If you hadn't told him, someone else would have bought it. You still wouldn't have the rifle.

Link Posted: 8/24/2003 2:40:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree with that 100% too but…

That’s the way things ought to be, then there is the way things are for most of us.

Unfortunately, the rifle will probably wind up in your possession some day anyway. For now you’ve got a dad, which is better than any rifle. Beyond that, he’s got this really cool rifle you really like, and he’d probably let you shoot it. If it is a must have, go get another one and take it out to go shooting with your dad. I know it seems like a crappy thing to do, and having your dad do it certainly doesn’t excuse it but you’ve come this far in life being friends it isn’t worth it to let something like this get in the way. If you talk to anybody whose father has passed they’d pay ten times that just for a little more time. You’re a grown man, get over it and go shooting with your dad.

Best regards, T
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 10:34:12 PM EDT
[#26]
"why get all hacked off and maybe say something that will mess things up between you guys for a long time?"

I pulled this quote from Lone Star's post, not to single him out, but to focus on the majority of opinions on this thread, which lean in this direction.

Where does this jerk get off? A co-worker pulls this kind of BS, and I'm in his @ss. A 'friend' does this, and it wasn't really a friendship, I just found out the hard way. MY father pulls this crap, and we're gonna have words. Something I can't fathom here--it's my impression that things have been "messed up for a long time" already, for a father to treat his son like a week-old stepchild.

I'll bet this ain't the first time, nor will it be the last. I got people I don't respect and hate to work with I trust more than that. Call him on the mark. What's to be cherished about a one-way-steet relationship with a person like that? If *anything* a son should expect *more*.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 2:14:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I say let it go, move on.

There are many AR's and you only have 1 Dad.

Besides, one day it may be yours.

Life is too short to argue amongst family.

Enjoy the time with him while you can.

IMO

MM419
View Quote

Like Minuteman419 said.  Life is too short.  Material things will not matter the day that your father is called home to the Lord.  Cherish the time that you have with him now because you will not know when that day will come and it comes without warning and hits you like a brick.  Nothing makes the heart heavier during times of sorrow than to have any regrets.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top