Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2006 2:45:47 PM EDT
before plopping down a bunch of $$$, I need to get an answer to a question. When using an EoTech, does the red POI marker need to be in the center of the reticle in order to hit the mark?  I tried a couple of different red dot type sights, but quickly discovered that if the dot isn't in the exact center of the reticle, the shot is off. I hear of folks saying that if the red marker in on target, the bullet will hit the mark, regarless of where the marker was inside the reticle. Just moving your head a bit changes the view, so does the EoTech eliminate this situation? Hope I explained the question well enough. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:54:18 PM EDT
[#1]
No the dot does not need to be centered. I can not offer a scientific explanation, but I have experimented with my own EOtech. When I can see my target with the dot on it, threw the EOtech no mater were the dot appears in the window, I can hit the target. of course shooter error does make me miss some times.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Due to the way the holographic image is projected, your eye sees the image at the right angle regardless of what angle you look through the optic at...

From www.eotechinc.com/lawe_features.php

"In holography, all the information required to reconstruct the reticle image is recorded everywhere in the Heads-Up display window. If the window is obstructed by mud, snow, rain, etc., the HWS remains fully operational , with point of aim/impact being maintained. Even in such extreme cases where the laminated window is shattered, the HWS is fully functional! As long as the operator can see through any portion of the window, the entire reticle pattern is visible on target...the operator can still engage with confidence."
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:51:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Imagine that there are literally hundreds of reticles on the EOTech's glass at one time. There's a reticle for each and every angle that you could look through, but they're all zeroed for the same spot. However, the human eye and the science involved in the holography and lens design only allows us to see one at a time. So every where you move, there's a new reticle hologram based on your new position, which maintains your original point of impact.

Say you had two people that were ear to ear and cheek to cheek. One uses his left eye to view through the optic, the other his right. They could both look down the same EOTech at the same time, and see two different reticles that shared the same point of impact.  

On the other hand, a spider could look through an EOTech and it would more than likely appear to be a giant red blob.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:05:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys, that splains it quite well. :)
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:00:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you guys even use an Eotech? I know for a fact if you line up the dot in the center then move your head to where the dot is no longer center and then put the dot back on target your point of impact will change. These things are not magic as you still need to be fairly centered.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:14:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Do you guys even use an Eotech? I know for a fact if you line up the dot in the center then move your head to where the dot is no longer center and then put the dot back on target your point of impact will change. These things are not magic as you still need to be fairly centered.

Try it past 25yds with the rifle on a steady rest. The dot won't move in relation to the target.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:03:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Try it past 25yds with the rifle on a steady rest. The dot won't move in relation to the target.

WIZZO

True. The parallax free range on an Eotech is roughly 25yd +
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:58:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Just ordered a 512...so are we talking about centering the sub 1 MOA dot in the 65 MOA ring or centering the whole reticle in the window itself? I've never looked through an actual EOThing or any high end red dot for that matter.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:31:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Just ordered a 512...so are we talking about centering the sub 1 MOA dot in the 65 MOA ring or centering the whole reticle in the window itself? I've never looked through an actual EOThing or any high end red dot for that matter.

The 1 MOA dot inside the 65 MOA dot IS the reticle. Both are elements of the same reticle, and they always stay in constant relationship to one another.

You won't have to worry about threading the small do through the big hole because the reticle never changes:

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:41:58 AM EDT
[#10]
How does the EoTech compensate for changes in range?  what is the maximum effective range with an Eotech sight?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:46:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
How does the EoTech compensate for changes in range?  what is the maximum effective range with an Eotech sight?

It doesn't really compensate for changes in "range" anymore than a normal scope does. You zero it according to your preferences and then use it the same as you would a normal scope. Range compensating scopes are going to be your ACOGs and similar scopes that once zeroed according to procedure, give you solid aiming points for various distances.

Its effective range is whatever you can put that 1 MOA dot on and hit. If you can see "it" and know the bullet drop you get wherever "it" is, you can most likely hit "it".

Generally the red dot type optics are most useful within a couple of hundred yards. Beyond that using them precisely is more difficult but can still be done.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:50:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the info. I could not really find much info really describing how the Eotech works.

I now have a basic understanding of one now.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:27:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the pic, I figured the reticle was "fixed" but reading the thread was a little confusing. Can't wait for it to get here.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:45:45 PM EDT
[#14]
And don't be alarmed when you turn it on and it's fuzzy
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:01:43 PM EDT
[#15]
...cause your suppose to be focusing on the target right? Why are they fuzzy to begin with? I assume I want it up as close to the BUIS as possible while still allowing button manipulation?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:03:32 PM EDT
[#16]
My EOThingy is fucking awesome!!!

(I see someone else mentioned parallax etc so this is all I have to add).
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:05:06 PM EDT
[#17]
If you got it sighted in, where the dot is is where the bullet hits(within distance of course)
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:27:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes.  That was one of the great attractions for many EoTech fans, myself included...the smaller (1moa) aiming point within the bigger (65moa) circle.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:30:41 PM EDT
[#19]
And don't close one eye, keep both eyes open and focus on the target....Also turn down the intensity to as low as it is visible to keep it from becoming fuzzy.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:27:10 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info. I could not really find much info really describing how the Eotech works.

It will all make sense when you try it. You'll love it. OR hate it, depending on your preferences. It is not a long range scope, but up close with practice it is very very fast to aquire.

And no, you do NOT need to align the dot/reticle with the front sight! Why do I keep catching people trying that?!?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:27:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I"ve been running EOTechs for several years.  I've also run experments at 50y to determin any issues with the dot being off center.

At 50y if you can see the ENTIRE reticule the round will land where the reticule is pointing.

IF you can only see half the reticule (i.e. the dot is at the extream left or right edge) then the rounds will land a bit to the left or right of the target position (still close enough for 'govt work).

I'd suggest you need more trigger time at a variety of ranges with the sight.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:33:38 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Why are they fuzzy to begin with?

Two reasons.
1) The reticule (hologram) appears to be focused down range- so that it's in focus when you are looking at the target.
2) Normal laser interference (look closely at a projected laser dot sometime you'll see what I mean).

I assume I want it up as close to the BUIS as possible while still allowing button manipulation?

Nope - no need.  In fact many of prefer it pushed outward so the housing and roll bar obcure as little of downrange as possible.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:47:17 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It will all make sense when you try it. You'll love it. OR hate it, depending on your preferences. It is not a long range scope, but up close with practice it is very very fast to aquire.

And no, you do NOT need to align the dot/reticle with the front sight! Why do I keep catching people trying that?!?

If you are cowitnessing, the dot will be on the front post.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:50:13 AM EDT
[#24]
When using an EoTech, does the red POI marker need to be in the center of the reticle in order to hit the mark?

The 65 moa ring needs to be fully within the window for a zero paralax shot- meaning in a whole lot of window you can pull off a zero paralax shot but in a tiny bit of it you can't.  

Yeah even aimpoints have noticeable parralax [at least for me and a lot of other people I have shot with] esspecially inside 50yds.  A lot of dot sights are way worse.  I think the EO is as close to perfection as a dot sight has gotten yet at eliminating paralax

[paralax is the phenomenon of seeing an artificial image (IE the reticle is on the target but the bullet doesn't go there.]< that's my stupid ass explanation of that although I'm sure it isn't dictionary accurate.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:01:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks guys for the post. I'm sold on one now
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:42:21 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure, but I'm talking about people using the eotech as the rear sight and the front sights for...well, the front sight. Did that make sense? In other words, they think they have to line up the front sight, center dot, and target to hit it. They wind up chasing the front sight post around with the reticle. Kinda funny to watch, actually.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:35:27 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure, but I'm talking about people using the eotech as the rear sight and the front sights for...well, the front sight. Did that make sense? In other words, they think they have to line up the front sight, center dot, and target to hit it. They wind up chasing the front sight post around with the reticle. Kinda funny to watch, actually.

Totally.  For me, the EOTech gives me the freedom of not having to keep my eye perfectly behind the sights.  I can get a little sloppy with my cheek weld and bring the dot on target.  Sometimes it happens to be co-witnessing, sometimes my eye is out of line and I have the dot where I want it but it is not co-witnessing.
If I am taking quick snapshots bringing it up fast from low-ready or something I don't perfect my cheek weld and eye alignment.  I get the dot on and crack of a shot.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:31:37 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kind of like watching a cat chase a laser pointer...
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:19:10 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
2) Normal laser interference (look closely at a projected laser dot sometime you'll see what I mean).

It's the whole "pure spectrum of light being both a wave and particle" thing.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:19:09 PM EDT
[#30]
thanks to you guys, i plunked down my money and am waiting for my eotech to get here. i just wanted to ask which BUIS you recomend with the eotech.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:26:11 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
thanks to you guys, i plunked down my money and am waiting for my eotech to get here. i just wanted to ask which BUIS you recomend with the eotech.

I have a GG&G flip up BUIS but that's just what came on my carbine, I didn't hunt it down or spec it out myself.  I like it.  I'd just point out that you probably want one that locks in the up position (which my GG&G does).  There is a Bushmaster flip-up BUIS that does this too and I'm sure a bunch of others.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:20:31 AM EDT
[#32]
This is great info!

I am in the process of choosing an EOTech for my Bushmaster M4A3.  I don't think I'll ever spring for night vision scope or goggles and I'm not too concerned about how deep it can go (I don't sink my guns) but I am trying to decide whether to get the one with N or AAA batteries.  I'll remove my carry handle and mount it to the rail.  

I'm wondering, how important is that extra inch of length?  I also want to mount a flip up rear BUIS.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:39:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Great questions -Great answers !
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:49:09 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
This is great info!

I am in the process of choosing an EOTech for my Bushmaster M4A3.  I don't think I'll ever spring for night vision scope or goggles and I'm not too concerned about how deep it can go (I don't sink my guns) but I am trying to decide whether to get the one with N or AAA batteries.  I'll remove my carry handle and mount it to the rail.  

I'm wondering, how important is that extra inch of length?  I also want to mount a flip up rear BUIS.

Thanks!

The 511 takes N, the 512 takes AA (not AAA).

I found no problems mounting my EOTech to the standard A3 rail in conjunction with a BUIS. More than enough room. Technically, you can hang clost to half the EOTech off the front rail before it will no longer engage. You usually run into the handguards though.

Short answer, yes, both versions will work. I prefer the AA even though it is a little heavier and larger.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:04:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:03:24 PM EDT
[#36]
you'll probably never set it down the night you get home and find a UPS package at your front door.  

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:27:14 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
you'll probably never set it down the night you get home and find a UPS package at your front door.  

The first time I looked through an EOTech, I know I didn't want to put it down.

Every one I know has hated the EOTech at first. Then you teach them how to use it and they to, never want to put it down. Aimpoints are so - so for me, but I absolutely love the EOThingy.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:45:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:02:38 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Totally.  For me, the EOTech gives me the freedom of not having to keep my eye perfectly behind the sights.  I can get a little sloppy with my cheek weld and bring the dot on target.  Sometimes it happens to be co-witnessing, sometimes my eye is out of line and I have the dot where I want it but it is not co-witnessing.
If I am taking quick snapshots bringing it up fast from low-ready or something I don't perfect my cheek weld and eye alignment.  I get the dot on and crack of a shot.

That also helps with your transition to the weak side.  Don't know about you, but I can shoot lefty OK (I'm a righty) and having an eotech or aimpoint makes it easier, both eyes open, grip, dot on, bang.  Sure makes it easier than having to worry about a cheek weld when you are in a hurry.

+1

It makes me quicker firing regular (right handed) but a LOT quicker firing left-handed (b/c left handed is kind of slow and clumsy for me compared to right handed).
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:20:04 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's the whole "pure spectrum of light being both a wave and particle" thing.

And in the case of interference, it's a wave.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:21:08 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The 511 takes N, the 512 takes AA (not AAA).

I found no problems mounting my EOTech to the standard A3 rail in conjunction with a BUIS. More than enough room. Technically, you can hang clost to half the EOTech off the front rail before it will no longer engage. You usually run into the handguards though.

Short answer, yes, both versions will work. I prefer the AA even though it is a little heavier and larger.

And I was just the opposite.  I purchased the 511 (N battery) becuase of it's more compact size, then mounted it on a LT throw lever set up.  

And for me, well I bought the 551 because I got it at the same price as the 512 & scopecoat / free 2nd day shipping, so why not get the little extras that I may never use? My main thing was snagging a REV F one, as it appears they are now all over the place for those that need it. I was so impressed with the EOTech 551 on my flat top Bushmaster, that I went gonzo and bought the model 552 within 1 week. So, I swapped the 551 model to my carry handle A2 Bushmaster with a Bennie Coolie front mount. Then the day the 552 arrived, I slapped that on my flat top Bushy. I can say that I am very much impressed with the EOTech 551 and 552 holo graphic sights. The 551 has hit the floor hard a few times, by accident, and did not change zero. A few weeks ago I was setting the 551and 552 up to be zeroed at 50 yds. It did not take long at all, and it is a blast using either of these.  Less than a week ago, I went to the 100 yd section of a range, to see how much adjusting that I had to do, to be good at 100 yds. I did not have to adjust anything, both the 551 & 552 still scorched the 8 in dia B Casey target bulls eyes at 100 yds at a fairly fast cycle rate ( not rapid-fire ). That is also when I had some extra time to adjust and play with the 20 different day reticle brightness settings. Just goofing with this feature alone opened up a big advantage over any other settings of any of my other regular or red dot scopes. For me, these sights have been far more accurate, dependable, rugged and most excellent in regards to what I thought that I would be getting. I can clearly see why these are all over in the middle east with our military, these EOTechs are the real deal, and in case anyone was wondering I do not work for EOTech.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:34:56 PM EDT
[#42]
I was one of those who did not like the EOTech when I first got it.  In fact, I was about to sell it or trade it before even trying it out.  I have a mild astigmatism that causes the reticle to be really fuzzy if I am not wearing my glasses, and that really bothered me.  I ended up going to the range the other day, and a combination of wearing my glasses, focusing on the target, and not keeping the reticle to bright made all the difference in the world.  I now am in love with my 512 and will probably buy another.  I zeroed at 50 yards, and at 100 I kept a 40 round box of WWB entirely within a 5" circle, which is pretty good for me.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top