Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2003 3:41:32 PM EDT
I wanna replaceit with an ace arfx-e stock and I dont have the proper tool to get it off. Do I need to use the tool or is there another way? What all is involved in doing this btw?
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 5:46:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Try a strap wrench.  I bought one from Sears and it worked for me.  There is a spanner wrench that is usially used for the job, but a strap wrench should work.  If not try a punch with a few taps with a few taps with a hammer.  Remember, righty tighty, left loosey (did I spell that right?).  If you are really having problems let me know.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 8:22:31 PM EDT
[#2]
If you don't have a suitable wrench CDNN is selling them for $1.99 [url=http://store.yahoo.com/cdnn/arbutwrennew.html]here[/url]

What all is involved in doing this btw?
View Quote

I sent this e-mail to a Colt owner last night, but the same applies to your Bushy:

[i]"Replacing the factory buttstock is no problem at all. The old buffer tube and buttstock are one complete unit-they stay together. The old buffer tube nut is indeed staked on, but it's very easy to remove. You can use a strap wrench to remove it, but the easiest way to do it is with a CAR buttstock wrench. CDNN has the proper buttstock wrench on sale for $1.99 here:

[url=http://store.yahoo.com/cdnn/arbutwrennew.html]CDNN[/url]

Once you loosen the buffer tube nut the entire buttstock/tube assembly will unscrew from the receiver for removal. There are two things that you have to be mindful of when you do it:

1. Remove the recoil buffer and buffer spring prior to loosening the buffer tube nut. Once you get the buffer and spring removed you will notice that the buffer detent is held in place by the buffer tube. When you start to unscrew the old buffer tube from the receiver the buffer detent will go airborne if you aren't holding it in place with your fingers. Once you get the buffer tube out far enough you can carefully remove the buffer detent and spring and put it aside. You will reinstall it when the new buffer tube is almost fully screwed into the receiver. When you install the new buffer tube be careful that you don't tighten it so much that it binds against the buffer detent.

2. Underneath the oblong metal plate that is sandwiched between the (old) buffer tube nut and receiver is a small spring and detent for the safety lever. Be careful not to let that spring go airborne either as you are removing the old buffer tube. Also be careful that the spring is lined up properly and not bent when you are installing the new buttstock. If the spring isn't installed properly your safety lever won't work properly."[/i]

Link Posted: 11/9/2003 6:39:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks fro the replies guys. I do have a strap wrench that i'll give a go first, if not then Ill buy the tool you guys recommended. I'll post pics when im done [:D]
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 8:58:25 AM EDT
[#4]
If you decide to buy the tool from CDNN, just make sure you want to buy something else with it. CDNN charges a minimum shipping charge of $10 IIRC.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top