Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2008 3:18:07 PM EDT
hey guys,
i was flippin through the pics of the threads that are tacked up. i didnt see many of the armalite ar15. since nds is now releasing the nds32 upper ithought maybe we could start a thread about it and post some pics for referance. i swear not too long ago i seen some pics of serial number 4.

Link Posted: 4/11/2008 5:50:18 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I swear not too long ago i seen some pics of serial number 4.

Yeah, there was a really sharp pic of 3 & 4...I had posted a scan of one of them, but someone else had a much better one (which I copied, too!)...  

Let's see here...Maybe I can track my own post???  

Here we go...  

BTW: # 3 had the trigger charger; not # 4...  
Link Posted: 4/11/2008 6:59:24 PM EDT
[#2]
i think you are right postino

did i read somewhere that you can use an ar10 set of handguards for the retro look om these uppers?
Link Posted: 4/11/2008 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 4/11/2008 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Someone on ARFCOM has the FSB and gas tube like on the bottom rifle.

Link Posted: 4/11/2008 8:09:10 PM EDT
[#5]
It's amazing that we've gone from A1 uppers on A2 lowers, to modded A2 lowers, to repro parts, 601, 602, 607 and now prototype builds in a year and a half or so. I am constantly amazed at the quality of builds shown here, and the ability and sheer determination to recreate rare AR rifle types. I'm still struggling to finish my first couple builds, and you guys are talking 607s, 608s, Port firing weapons, DEA 9mm builds...
I'm really very impressed. Retro doesn't even begin to cover what I see here regularly. It's just sheer COOLNESS. You guys really rock. You've really inspired infected me with the desire to get it right. When I'm done with my builds, I know I'll have something to be proud of, and they will be RIGHT. Until then I just drool on the keyboard.

Link Posted: 4/12/2008 7:18:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It's amazing that we've gone from A1 uppers on A2 lowers, to modded A2 lowers, to repro parts, 601, 602, 607 and now prototype builds in a year and a half or so. I am constantly amazed at the quality of builds shown here, and the ability and sheer determination to recreate rare AR rifle types. I'm still struggling to finish my first couple builds, and you guys are talking 607s, 608s, Port firing weapons, DEA 9mm builds...
I'm really very impressed. Retro doesn't even begin to cover what I see here regularly. It's just sheer COOLNESS. You guys really rock. You've really inspired infected me with the desire to get it right. When I'm done with my builds, I know I'll have something to be proud of, and they will be RIGHT. Until then I just drool on the keyboard.

i have to totally agree. i have pushed my retro limits only because of the inspiration of every one on this board. i have a couple more projects to finish up before i can post some pics.
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 8:25:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i have to totally agree. i have pushed my retro limits only because of the inspiration of every one on this board. i have a couple more projects to finish up before i can post some pics.

Ditto, and ditto.  Hopeful to complete a couple projects soon and post pics.  This board provides real inspiration.
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 12:48:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 12:59:40 PM EDT
[#9]
wow! the selector positions were different.

no pics of the rh side? i understand they are hanging on the wall but there has got to be some out there.
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 2:47:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
no pics of the rh side? i understand they are hanging on the wall but there has got to be some out there.

It has a price tag on it...make them an offer and post the pics...  

(Find out where your wife hides her shoe money first)
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I wonder why nobody paints their mags like that in the name of retro authenticity.  Just too fugly?
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 4:04:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm all for authenticity, and it is hanging out of serial number 000001, but I'll be damned if I'm going to spray paint my  treasured 25-rd Armalite mag with John Deere green spray paint. Just not going to happen.
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 4:10:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I wonder why nobody paints their mags like that in the name of retro authenticity.  Just too fugly?

i wonder why they were green to begin with?
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#14]
The stocks on the top one look like formica.
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Cool!
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 9:18:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Why did Armalite change its logo from the pegasus to the lion?  Was it because of the horse in Colt's logo and to avoid confusion after they got the contract?
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 9:26:36 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Why did Armalite change its logo from the pegasus to the lion?  Was it because of the horse in Colt's logo and to avoid confusion after they got the contract?

Who knows? Maybe it had something to do with their corporate aviation roots originally?
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 9:55:32 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
i wonder why they were green to begin with?

Didja ever see the movie "The Park Is Mine!"???  
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 3:10:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My favorite pic of #1

Dig on the serial #  !!!    
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

The Pegasus logo belonged to Fairchild Aircraft. When Ellisco Tool in the Phillipines bought the Armalite name, they didn't get the Fairchild logo......thus the lion
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 5:38:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The Pegasus logo belonged to Fairchild Aircraft.

Correct, the ArmaLite Division could use the Pegasus logo.  In February 1961 Fairchild sold ArmaLite to Sullivan and that was the end of ArmaLite's use of the Pegasus.

The Current ArmaLite is able to use the Pegasus because it was no longer in commercial use:

Link Posted: 4/15/2008 7:21:21 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
My favorite pic of #1

www.hunt101.com/data/500/armalitear15sn1.jpg

"TRANSFERABLE"

Link Posted: 4/15/2008 7:29:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Mike,

what about a #1 lower receiver and A-frame
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 7:42:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 7:45:28 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mike,

Yeah, but how the hell did they keep the bolt hold open in the receiver? I'm sure I could figure it out, but it would require a new BHO also.

I have really good pictures of the early FSB..................

That'd be cool.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 9:01:51 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mike,

Yeah, but how the hell did they keep the bolt hold open in the receiver? I'm sure I could figure it out, but it would require a new BHO also.

I have really good pictures of the early FSB..................

Check page 34 of the Retro Black Rifle. I know it is a AR-10 but I am betting it would be close to #1 or #3.

Along with the bolt catch ou also have the mag release and the mags themselves

Ah retro is so fun...
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 3:50:45 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Check page 34 of the Retro Black Rifle.

I'm looking at the pic...and now I see how the mag button without the hole works...but the BHO is still a mystery...  

I can see the hole going down into the lower, next to the BHO slot...and the little "L" shaped pin next to it...and the spring and plunger...but how does the BHO pivot???  And what holds it in???  
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 4:49:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Magic?

Link Posted: 4/16/2008 7:23:38 AM EDT
[#29]
The BHO is probably just like the one in the early AR-10's......there is a slot cut into the top of the lower....the bho fits down inside it, then a "filler piece" is inserted in the top of the slot.....it is held in place by the upper when is closed....kind of hard to describe......
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 7:34:56 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
The BHO is probably just like the one in the early AR-10's......there is a slot cut into the top of the lower....the bho fits down inside it, then a "filler piece" is inserted in the top of the slot.....it is held in place by the upper when is closed....kind of hard to describe......
img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/villafuego/ar10innards.jpg

So really the bolt hold-open more 'floats' in there than being retained by anything more than friction?  And there is no spring to make it pop up, or stay down, it just levers up when the follower pushes up on it?
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 7:46:38 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So really the bolt hold-open more 'floats' in there than being retained by anything more than friction?  And there is no spring to make it pop up, or stay down, it just levers up when the follower pushes up on it?

Pretty much....there is a spring that makes it operate like a normal AR BHO however. The BHO is just about the "weakest link" in Dutch AR-10's.....notorious for breaking.....the design was probably changed for good reason!
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 7:48:16 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty much....there is a spring that makes it operate like a normal AR BHO however. The BHO is just about the "weakest link" in Dutch AR-10's.....notorious for breaking.....the design was probably changed for good reason!

Yeah, it seems that the receiver might be vulnerable in that area to 'blowing out' when the hold open is installed.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top