Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2008 12:12:49 PM EDT
heres my first ar, stag arms, with a cheap red dot that for $30 is pretty accurate, what are some upgrades do you think would make it better
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk314/wahoovic/DSC00468.jpg
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#1]
gotta start somewhere.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice carbine you have there.

Upgrades.... mags and ammo
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:44:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
gotta start somewhere.

Yup.  What kind of handguards are those?  You can always upgrade to LaRue.  Wally world red dot?  That can be upgraded to an Aimpoint or EOTech.  I highly recommend Magpuls MIAD grip, and one of their stocks.  The CTR works great for me, and would like to get a UBR for another build.  Nice move on the Stag though, I almost bought one of their uppers, but I found a CMMG that was better suited for me.  Definitely a nice boom stick ya got there though.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Congrats on your first AR. Looks good to me.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:14:43 PM EDT
[#5]
   PMAGS brother gots ta get some
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#6]
With that red dot you need to either a.) get some irons or b.) get a reliable (Aimpoint) red dot.

But you're off to a good start. It looks like it wants to go out to play.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:07:17 PM EDT
[#7]
stag=MUUUUUUUUUUUUAHAHAAH

i love stag
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:18:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Irons, sling, mags, ammo.  Nice rifle.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:32:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
With that red dot you need to either a.) get some irons or b.) get a reliable (Aimpoint) red dot.

But you're off to a good start. It looks like it wants to go out to play.

As far as the OP's red dot goes, there's nothing at all wrong with it, if it is only going to be used for range use, or maybe a little hunting.  If you ever plan to use your rifle for any more serious work, I would definitely looking into getting a more reliable optic, AND back up iron sights.  I've got an Aimpoint CompML3 on my M4gery, which is my go-to gun for HD, and I use it as a "patrol rifle" when I'm at home, roaming through the woods.  Then there is the whole "SHTF" idea...
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got that red dot - although it's a tad low for flattop mounting.

Irons
PMags

Probably a riser.  You'll be set, and very happy with that setup.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:12:25 PM EDT
[#11]
congrats

now go give it a workout
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:07:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Irons that red dot is going to go through more batteries then you have, enjoy it though, i started with a cheapy BSA from wally world and when went to iron sights and just recently jumped to eotech.  Call me when you get there, you will.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:10:58 PM EDT
[#13]
With that read dot?  You need back up irons.  I recomend back up irons for everyone, but especially with a wally word red dot.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:41:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd make a couple of suggestions...

1.  Get a backup set of iron sights in case that cheap red dot fails.
2.  Get a better electronic sight like an EOTech or Aimpoint.
3.  PMAGS... lots of PMAGS.
4.  Magpul enhanced trigger guard.

It's a great starting point.  I think you have a quality AR to build on.  Just remember to add enough fun stuff to make it more usable, but dont' go so overboard that you end up with s a Swiss Army Knife.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 9:02:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Can you even get a sight picture through that red dot?  I tried that same setup, and I could not get my eye low enough to get a comfortable cheekweld/sight picture.

I recommend:

Trigger job (search for Bill Springfield on this site)
Lot of mags while the getting is good.  Mil-specs work great for me.  Not sure what the attraction is to the Pmags, cause I've never owned one.
Good iron sights (preferably flip-up)
Good optics.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top