Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2012 9:08:32 PM EDT
Well first post here(definitely not my last haha) Anyway, over the next few months I will be building my First Ar(sure not the first time you heard this!) anyway, I compiled a list of parts with prices(which are retail I might add. Yes I WILL be shopping around.) most my ordering will be done through BCM with the exception of a few things. I want to save up enough to order once or twice, so I dont get screwed on shiipping. Anyway. here is my list.

This is my first build, so tools are need which are included in the bottom. Also two questions. Is a yankee hill phantom 5c2 flash hider long enough to bring a 14.5 inch barrel to legal 16 if its blind pin and welded? 2. The bolt carrier group I plan ordering if an "auto" it says its fine and legal on BCM's website, but have any of yall had any problems with it?

ok so heres the list. yes its long. sorry. just wanting to know if I am missing any parts really. NOTE: again prices ARE retail I will be shopping around. Also I am going to elimintate the Battle comp 1.5 flash hider, if the phantom 5c2 is legal once pin and welded. Also, I might take a regular cast front sight block and cut the site off it and make it a gas block instead of using the DD gas block. I kinda want the taper pins instead of the hex screws.(I read locktite wont hold them down as the heat will melt it and the screws CAN back out over time.

Let me know what you think.

Parts for Lower:
Spikes tactical stripped lower- $99.00
Stag arms lower parts kit- $65.95
KNS non rotating trigger/hammer pins- $29.95
Stag arms ambidextrous safety- $25.00
Ikickhippes sling plate- $20.00
Magpul B.A.D.- $28.45
Magpul enhanced trigger guard- $19.95
Magpul P-mag- $ 14.95 (x3)
Magpul MOE+ grip- $23.95
Magpul CTR buttstock(mill spec)- $79.95
Mill spec buffer tube(bcm)- $36.95
Carbine action spring(bcm)- $4.50
Spikes tactical “ST-T2” buffer- $29.95
Castle nut- $7.00

Parts for upper reciever:
BCM stripped upper receiver- $89.95
Ejection port cover assembly(complete)- $5.95
BCM forward assist(complete)- $13.95
Mid length gas tube- $13.00
BCM 14.5 inch barrel(CHF)- $229.00
BCM bolt carrier group(MPI)- $139.95
BCM gunfighter charging handle mod 4- $44.95
Battlecomp 1.5 black oxide- $155.00
Daniel defense 12 inch lite rail- $332.00
Daniel defense low profile gas block- $55.95
Magpul Mbus(front gen 2)- $39.95
Magpul Mbus(rear gen 2)- $57.95
Magpul AFG(gen 1)- $34.95
Magpul RVG- $24.95
Magpul XTM rail panels- $7.95 each(x4)
Magpul ladder rail panel- $11.95(x3)
Eotech XPS3- $530.00

here is a list of tools I compiled I though I might be needing.

5 inch craftsman bench vice- $60.00
AR-15 vice block “the flipper”- $39.97
DPMS upper receiver vice block- $45.99
Pads for vice jaws- $20.00
Pivot pin detent tool- $4.00
Roll pin punch kit- $19.99
Roll pin holders- $49.99
Bolt catch pin punch- $15.99
Stock wrench- $6.00
Daniel defense barrel nut wrench- $10.00
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:39:59 PM EDT
Looks like a well thought out build. I just built my first lower over Christmas break (still a novice). It was a lot of fun. I didn't use a vice or vice block, but those would have definitely come in handy. I might recommend looking at the equipment exchange this site offers as others have suggested to me. Some good deals can be found there (both used and new). It also might be in your interest to buy the buffer, spring, and extension in a kit. I bought the Spike's Tactical kit from Aim Surplus and am happy with the quality. Didn't really see anything missing from your list, but then again I am no expert. Good luck with your build and have fun.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:52:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2012 12:53:34 AM EDT by aaholland]
Originally Posted By codykrr:
Magpul RVG- $24.95

AR-15 vice block “the flipper”- $39.97
Roll pin holders- $49.99
Bolt catch pin punch- $15.99

Stock wrench- $6.00

Why do you have two grips?

The tools in red I did not need for my lower build and it does not look like I need them for my upper install either. Just took my time and everything went great. (No scraches anywhere)

Why not buy one better quality Armorers Tool. I only see bad reviews for the "Daniel defense barrel nut wrench". I got the dpms armorers wrench.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:09:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2012 1:11:45 AM EDT by Gamma762]

Going to just offer some random thoughts on parts selection, pricing/budget, etc.

Parts for Lower:
Spikes tactical stripped lower- $99.00 Less expensive lowers available if you want to save a few $.
Stag arms lower parts kit- $65.95 Always had good results from Stag LPKs.
KNS non rotating trigger/hammer pins- $29.95 Save your $ for now.
Ikickhippes sling plate- $20.00 Looks ok, never used one.
Magpul B.A.D.- $28.45 Save your $ for now.
Magpul enhanced trigger guard- $19.95 The MOE version is less $ and is more user friendly.
Magpul P-mag- $ 14.95 (x3) More mags.
Magpul MOE+ grip- $23.95 Try the standard grip first. If you have some basic hand tools (hacksaw, file) you can amputate the finger bump off the front, in combo with the trigger guard is not bad Easy enough to change later on.
Magpul CTR buttstock(mill spec)- $79.95 Solid basic stock, get the rubber buttplate
Spikes tactical “ST-T2” buffer- $29.95 Too many reports of problems with these for my taste. Because of lack of buffering due to their design, I'd recommend a standard construction buffer in a weight appropriate to your barrel/gas system setup. For a 14.5 midlength probably an H1, or even a standard carbine would be fine depending on how your barrel is gassed and what ammo.
Castle nut- $7.00

BCM 14.5 inch barrel(CHF)- $229.00 In midlength these have a reputation for not running well on "223" power ammo, needing 5.56 power stuff to function well. IIRC Spike's (from reports) seems to do better, presumably running a slightly larger gas port. I haven't shot either one, so might be worth gathering more info on
Battlecomp 1.5 black oxide- $155.00 Vortex flash suppressor would save you over $100 here. With a smooth shooting 14.5mid setup you should be fine without a brake for non-competition use (IMO).
Daniel defense low profile gas block- $55.95 discussed below
Magpul RVG- $24.95 Don't really need both of these, if you're experimenting that's ok too.
Eotech XPS3- $530.00 Just a note, if you've never used an eotech, you might want to try one first if possible. Some people's vision just seems to conflict with the EOtechs.

AR-15 vice block “the flipper”- $39.97 Don't know off the top of my head which one this is, I doubt you need it.
DPMS upper receiver vice block- $45.99 (don't know which one this is) Get the "Peace River" type receiver block for barreling, accept no substitutes.
Pads for vice jaws- $20.00 Carpet scraps, scraps of leather, or newspapers work
Roll pin holders- $49.99 Save your $.
Bolt catch pin punch- $15.99 Easier to do that with a set of slip-jaw pliers with electrical tape wrapped around the ends. Use the same pliers on the trigger guard roll pin.
Stock wrench- $6.00
Add: 3/16" T handle hex driver, and 1" long 1/4"x28 hex drive cap screw to drive with it. Vastly easier to use and avoid damaging your lower when installing the grip screw than the milspec flathead screw.

Also I am going to elimintate the Battle comp 1.5 flash hider, if the phantom 5c2 is legal once pin and welded.
I don't care for the 5c2, the sharp edges on the front of the flash hider make it a PITA as it scratches or gouges stuff all the time. The one with the flat front is fine. I prefer the Vortex or AAC Blackout, if you're going to pin and weld the Vortex is available pre-drilled. The AAC is nitrided I believe which will make it almost impossible to drill for a pin and weld job, so I'd suggest the Vortex as an alternative.

Also, I might take a regular cast front sight block and cut the site off it and make it a gas block instead of using the DD gas block. I kinda want the taper pins instead of the hex screws.(I read locktite wont hold them down as the heat will melt it and the screws CAN back out over time.
If you have a barrel that is dimpled for set screws, you can put on the gas block and then stake the screw. But, if you don't mind a bit of whittling with a hacksaw and files (or grinder) the cut down FSB is viable. Clamp on type gas blocks may not fit underneath the rail handguard.

Originally Posted By aaholland:
I only see bad reviews for the "Daniel defense barrel nut wrench". I got the dpms armorers wrench.

The DD wrench is a specialty tool which is required for the DD Lite/Omega X barrel nut. It doesn't work with standard barrel nuts.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:18:27 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Gamma762:

Going to just offer some random thoughts on parts selection, pricing/budget, etc.

Parts for Lower:
Spikes tactical stripped lower- $99.00 Less expensive lowers available if you want to save a few $. yeah I know, but I am pretty set on the Spikes, or a stag lower. I breed tarantulas(hence wanting a spider) and I LOVE deer hunting(hence the stag)
Stag arms lower parts kit- $65.95 Always had good results from Stag LPKs. yes, heard nothing but good results from these.
KNS non rotating trigger/hammer pins- $29.95 Save your $ for now. I only put these on the list as I have heard about Trigger and hammer pins walking out on people.
Ikickhippes sling plate- $20.00 Looks ok, never used one. can you recommend one thats cheap and had a QD on either side?
Magpul B.A.D.- $28.45 Save your $ for now. Love my buddies thats why its on the list.
Magpul enhanced trigger guard- $19.95 The MOE version is less $ and is more user friendly. again, love it on my buddies gun.
Magpul P-mag- $ 14.95 (x3) More mags. yeah, I know, but 3 is a decent start.
Magpul MOE+ grip- $23.95 Try the standard grip first. If you have some basic hand tools (hacksaw, file) you can amputate the finger bump off the front, in combo with the trigger guard is not bad Easy enough to change later on. I dont like the idea of hacking an important piece up like that. I think ill stick with this one.
Magpul CTR buttstock(mill spec)- $79.95 Solid basic stock, get the rubber buttplate I thought it came with one?
Spikes tactical “ST-T2” buffer- $29.95 Too many reports of problems with these for my taste. Because of lack of buffering due to their design, I'd recommend a standard construction buffer in a weight appropriate to your barrel/gas system setup. For a 14.5 midlength probably an H1, or even a standard carbine would be fine depending on how your barrel is gassed and what ammo. REALLY? I have read nothing but good about the ST-t2...?! I will look into that.
Castle nut- $7.00

BCM 14.5 inch barrel(CHF)- $229.00 In midlength these have a reputation for not running well on "223" power ammo, needing 5.56 power stuff to function well. IIRC Spike's (from reports) seems to do better, presumably running a slightly larger gas port. I haven't shot either one, so might be worth gathering more info on I will look into it. It has nothing but good reviews on the BCM website. Also this rifle will mostly be used to shoot 5.56.
Battlecomp 1.5 black oxide- $155.00 Vortex flash suppressor would save you over $100 here. With a smooth shooting 14.5mid setup you should be fine without a brake for non-competition use (IMO). this is just to bring to legal 16 inch barrel.
Daniel defense low profile gas block- $55.95 discussed below
Magpul RVG- $24.95 Don't really need both of these, if you're experimenting that's ok too. I am just going to see If I like a foregrip. never shot a gun with one. not going to hurt to try...
Eotech XPS3- $530.00 Just a note, if you've never used an eotech, you might want to try one first if possible. Some people's vision just seems to conflict with the EOtechs.
well its between burris(not sure which one) or the Eotech. I have shot guns with the XPS3-0 and really liked it.

AR-15 vice block “the flipper”- $39.97 Don't know off the top of my head which one this is, I doubt you need it.
DPMS upper receiver vice block- $45.99 (don't know which one this is) Get the "Peace River" type receiver block for barreling, accept no substitutes.
Pads for vice jaws- $20.00 Carpet scraps, scraps of leather, or newspapers work ok.
Roll pin holders- $49.99 Save your $. Do these not help much? I have fat fingers and holding little pins just doesnt seem to jive well with me. which is why I considered them.
Bolt catch pin punch- $15.99 Easier to do that with a set of slip-jaw pliers with electrical tape wrapped around the ends. Use the same pliers on the trigger guard roll pin. not sure if I understand what you mean.
Stock wrench- $6.00
Add: 3/16" T handle hex driver, and 1" long 1/4"x28 hex drive cap screw to drive with it. Vastly easier to use and avoid damaging your lower when installing the grip screw than the milspec flathead screw. I have a full T handle hex head set already. Good idea on the hex screw though!!! thanks!

Also I am going to elimintate the Battle comp 1.5 flash hider, if the phantom 5c2 is legal once pin and welded.
I don't care for the 5c2, the sharp edges on the front of the flash hider make it a PITA as it scratches or gouges stuff all the time. The one with the flat front is fine. I prefer the Vortex or AAC Blackout, if you're going to pin and weld the Vortex is available pre-drilled. The AAC is nitrided I believe which will make it almost impossible to drill for a pin and weld job, so I'd suggest the Vortex as an alternative. I kinda like the phantom, but will look into the vortex. is it around the same price? (20 to 30 dollar range?)

Also, I might take a regular cast front sight block and cut the site off it and make it a gas block instead of using the DD gas block. I kinda want the taper pins instead of the hex screws.(I read locktite wont hold them down as the heat will melt it and the screws CAN back out over time.
If you have a barrel that is dimpled for set screws, you can put on the gas block and then stake the screw. But, if you don't mind a bit of whittling with a hacksaw and files (or grinder) the cut down FSB is viable. Clamp on type gas blocks may not fit underneath the rail handguard.
Well, The DD gas block doesnt require the dimpled barrel. I still think I might just modify the FSB to make a low pro gas block myself. I really just dont like the idea of any screws holding an important part in. Taper pins are much more reliable.

Originally Posted By aaholland:
I only see bad reviews for the "Daniel defense barrel nut wrench". I got the dpms armorers wrench.

The DD wrench is a specialty tool which is required for the DD Lite/Omega X barrel nut. It doesn't work with standard barrel nuts.

^ that. Yeah I will need the DD wrench for their proprietary barrel nut.

Thanks for your comments! I will look into the things you suggested/mentioned.

One more question.

Doesnt the BCM barrel come with the barrel extension/m4 feed ramps already? are there any other brands that do? And can anyone else comment on the said problems with the 14.5 inch barrel from BCM?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:18:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2012 5:22:35 AM EDT by CTran555]
I like what you have going there.

My recommendation is to just buy the upper with the forward assist and ejection port cover installed. That spring with the ejection door sucks to mess with and isn't worth the (maybe) $5 you save.

Also, if you're planning on running a two point sling, I don't see how you're going to do that. The DD Lite rails don't have a sling attachment point. If you're running a rig strap or single point the disregard.

Also, I use the BCM BHF Middy (but in 16") and a Spikes ST-T2 buffer. I normally just suit the 5.56 powered stuff though so I'm not sure how it rolls with .223 as was stated above. But it runs like a top with 5.56.

ETA: Yes the BCM's all have M4 cuts. But so do alot of others.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:21:20 AM EDT
Originally Posted By CTran555:

My recommendation is to just buy the upper with the forward assist and ejection port cover installed. That spring with the ejection door sucks to mess with and isn't worth the (maybe) $5 you save.

Also, if you're planning on running a two point sling, I don't see how you're going to do that. The DD Lite rails don't have a sling attachment point. If you're running a rig strap or single point the disregard.

Also, I use the BCM BHF Middy (but in 16") and a Spikes ST-T2 buffer. I normally just suit the 5.56 powered stuff though so I'm not sure how it rolls with .223 as was stated above. But it runs like a top with 5.56.

I plan on running a single point sling. i dont care for two point slings. I also dont think the ejection cover spring will be to bad... maybe I am wrong. The two parts I worry about are 1. the bolt catch pin(I have seen hack jobs where the lower is scratched to heck, and bent pins) and 2. the front take down pin detent spring assembly. other than that it seems pretty straight forward.

Again, I wanted to address a question though. The Bolt carrier group I chose is for "auto" it says on the BCM website thats its legal. but was reading somewhere where someone stated the BATF doesnt like auto parts in a semi auto.

another question, how long is the YHM phantom 5c2 flash hider? I havent been able to find the overall length anywhere.

Also just wanted to thank yall for the feed back. I wasnt sure if I had left anything out. Again this is my first build, but I have been researching and compiling a list for a few months now. I wanted to be able to make big orders to avoid shipping.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:23:57 AM EDT
Also, I cannot find any problems with the spike's St-t2 buffer that was mentioned. Anyone care to explain a little? I see nothing but high mention's from it!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:48:29 AM EDT
Originally Posted By CTran555:

I plan on running a single point sling. i dont care for two point slings. I also dont think the ejection cover spring will be to bad... maybe I am wrong. The two parts I worry about are 1. the bolt catch pin(I have seen hack jobs where the lower is scratched to heck, and bent pins) and 2. the front take down pin detent spring assembly. other than that it seems pretty straight forward.

Again, I wanted to address a question though. The Bolt carrier group I chose is for "auto" it says on the BCM website thats its legal. but was reading somewhere where someone stated the BATF doesnt like auto parts in a semi auto.

another question, how long is the YHM phantom 5c2 flash hider? I havent been able to find the overall length anywhere.

Also just wanted to thank yall for the feed back. I wasnt sure if I had left anything out. Again this is my first build, but I have been researching and compiling a list for a few months now. I wanted to be able to make big orders to avoid shipping.

Almost everyone I know runs an M-16 Bolt carrier group. I personally have the BCM one and it is sweet. You won't run into any problems with the BATFE. There have been several people writing in to ask them and they've given their OK. In fact, many manufacturers are using the M-16 BCG in their factory/retail offerings. It's a safer part (fully shrouded firing pin) and more reliable (increased weight ensures full bolt lock up).

What the BATFE does not like is full auto parts in your fire control group.

Also, I don't know the overall length on the 5C2, but I know it's long enough to get a 14.5" barrel in compliance, since so many are using it pinned/welded. If its anything like my YHM muzzle break, it's about 2" long.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:16:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2012 2:51:25 PM EDT by Gamma762]
Doesnt the BCM barrel come with the barrel extension/m4 feed ramps already? are there any other brands that do? And can anyone else comment on the said problems with the 14.5 inch barrel from BCM?

Any barrel will have the extension already installed, it's an integral part of making the barrel. Any barrel that the extension has been removed from is a paperweight.
Also, I cannot find any problems with the spike's St-t2 buffer that was mentioned. Anyone care to explain a little? I see nothing but high mention's from it!

Problem reports are usually buried in troubleshooting threads where it comes out in discussion, and not just on arfcom.
Example, and running the same barrel you have specified to boot:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_66/552417_Problem_with_new_build__UPDATED_____.html

The problem is in how buffers are supposed to work, and how the ST-T2 is designed which, well, doesn't. Buffers have a series of cylindrical weights separated by rubber disks. When you try to move the buffer at high speed the weights move and sequentially compress against the rubber washers, providing a long duration "push" against movement of the buffer as each weight compresses each rubber disk, one after the other. In this manner the buffer smooths the opening of the BCG to allow more positive extraction, holds the BCG at the rearmost portion of the travel for a short pause to allow good ejection and time for the round stack to rise up in the magazine and the top round to settle in position for feeding (or allow the bolt catch to rise if the magazine is empty), and also quells bolt bounce as the BCG slams closed. The ST-T2 however does not have a series of weights, instead is simply a single mass of heavy shot pellets or powder. Regardless of what you might think, a mass of shot behaves as one mass in this application so does not give you the time duration of the buffering action that standard buffers do.

There is high speed video available demonstrating that the T2 has less buffering action than the lighter weight H buffer and I think even a Carbine buffer. And frankly, you almost certainly do not want a buffer as heavy as a T2 when running a 14.5" midlength. In short, in this particular application, (IMO) the T2 is a recipe for failure as it's too heavy and simultaneously is poor at buffering.

Many items are sold as "performance" replacement parts which are intended to fix the various issues that arise from the common 14.5 and 16" carbine gas length configurations. These "fixes" are unnecessary and often counterproductive when used on other configurations... things like O rings around the extractor spring, and some of the heavy weight specialty buffers would fit this description.

There is no problem with an auto bolt carrier, but if it concerns you get a semi one. The parts of concern are fire control group parts in the lower, you don't want to have any auto FCG parts.

I believe that the 5c2 is long enough with a 14.5, but will have to be installed with a washer. Another nice thing about the Vortex for permanent attachment is it's installed with no washer.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:04:18 PM EDT
Thanks. So one question. is there another more quiet option other than the standard buffers? I dont think i will like the rattling of the standard buffer to be honest. which is a key reason for choosing the spikes.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:50:16 PM EDT
Wow. Ok... I guess if for some reason I couldn't handle the swoosh sound from a standard type buffer, I'd probably just punch out the roll pin, pull the end cap off, and put some extra rubber washers in there at the back, or maybe hot melt glue or something.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:13:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2012 4:13:40 PM EDT by codykrr]
Thanks...but it was just a question. Im a NEWBIE... All I know is I shot a few Ar's and a few of them you could clearly hear the spring. which is just annoying after 400 plus rounds. just saying.

I could probably ask a million more, but I will continue reading. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:58:32 PM EDT
Thanks...but it was just a question. Im a NEWBIE... All I know is I shot a few Ar's and a few of them you could clearly hear the spring. which is just annoying after 400 plus rounds. just saying.

I could probably ask a million more, but I will continue reading. Thanks.

The "sproing" noise you hear when shooting is from the spring against the inside of the buffer tube, not the type of buffer.

There is a spring made from flat wire that is supposed to eliminate the "sproing" noise when shooting.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:16:58 PM EDT
I also dont think the ejection cover spring will be to bad... maybe I am wrong.

It was not to bad I switch mine out for one that was etched with Zombie Hunter. Took a FEW tries to get the spring to go on right but I am patient.

The two parts I worry about are 1. the bolt catch pin(I have seen hack jobs where the lower is scratched to heck, and bent pins) and 2. the front take down pin detent spring assembly. other than that it seems pretty straight forward.

1. I had no problem with this also. Just tape up everything around it on both sides with masking tape then electrical tape on top of that. Put a small punch in the hole to hold the bold catch down then start driving in the pin in.

2.The front takedown pin detent sprint is easy. I just used a razor blade to hold the spring down then slide the take down pin in the hole and remove the razor blade.

Top Top