Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/1/2005 10:16:55 AM EDT
when i take up slack on the first stage it stays and does not reset. what could be causing this and how do I fix it?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:13:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/3/2005 12:14:04 AM EDT by Humminbird]
Take a caliper and measure your trigger and hammer pin size. It should be 0.154", some are 0.155". RRA has put out lowers with extra large diameter pins (for antirotation purposes), they are 0.156" if my memory serves me. If the pins are too large or bent, it could make the trigger sticky. If you have spare pins, try replacing the pins and see if the problem remains.

If the pins are OK, then I would check the springs next. If there's nothing visibly wrong and swapping springs doesn't help, remove the upper and try operating the hammer and trigger with your hands. Press down hammer until it locks down behind the disconnector, then pull trigger to the second stage threshold and try to release it. If the first stage sticks, try to see what is causing it. Is the hammer hook preventing the trigger reset somehow? Is the disconnector properly aligned with the hammer hook?

Does it take much to release the hammer, i.e. is the second stage unusually heavy too? Then it could be something wrong with the disconnector. Is the disconnector pivoting properly? Is there some foreign object stuck between the disconnector and trigger that maybe causing the problem?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:40:01 AM EDT
I removed the upper, if i give a TINY bit of pressure on the hammer it is very smooth but when i leave it be it sticks
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:03:29 AM EDT
If you push the hammer down, i.e. towards the trigger, the first stage works as it should? I assume, then, that if you don't press the hammer down at all and operate the trigger when the hammer is forward, the trigger also moves smoothly?

If so, the problem is with the front disconnector hook and the hammer. The hammer is pressing up against the front disconnector hook with too much force for the trigger to reset properly. Do you have the standard hammer spring or does the LMT come with a proprietary spring? If the spring is non-standard, or some after market high-power spring, swap it to a regular spring and see if that solves the problem. If it's the regular spring, then your problem is most likely solved with careful polishing of the hammer hook and disconnector hook mating surfaces.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:09:08 PM EDT
i got the lower from DSArms and they told me their Match 2 atages are LMt 2 stages so im not sure what springs are in them. how would I file the hammer area? would I screw up my trigger if i do it wrong?

thanks
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:00:15 PM EDT
Don't touch the trigger before you give a call to DSA. I've heard good things about their customer service, so I would see what they can do about it first. See if they will fix it for you. You will probably have to send in the lower, but it's the safest route.

If you end up doing it yourself, use fine lapping paste instead of a file. A file will break the surface, you only want to polish the surfaces until they feel smooth to the touch. Lapping paste can be had from most hardware stores, I would think. Not sure how it is in the US. If you don't feel confident doing it yourself, send it out to a competent smith. You could try the LMT dealers on this board.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:54:52 PM EDT
i used a bore brush to try and smooth out the trigger, and it worked it does not stick any more. thanks alot

what would I do without you guys
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:02:40 PM EDT
I'm glad you got it fixed! Using a bore brush was clever, that never crossed my mind. Noted for the future.
Top Top