Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/26/2009 6:13:37 PM EDT
I have a model 1 sales dedicated upper that has started to do double taps I have over 5k through it and have never had any problems none what so ever. I was shooting 550 federal the other day and it started to double fire, so I decided to put the spring kit into my bushie lower to see if that would fix the problem. Well today it started to do it again almost like a bump fire, I find that this problem is not doing any damage to the weapon or the rds being fired. I have cleaned this weapon properly and cannot resolve this. I shoot nothing but wally world 550 fed paks and have never had a bad rd. It does not really bother me but it is just unexpected and it happens when I am shooting really fast not when I am shooting one shot at a time. So is this just a accidental bump fire or something else? Thanks
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:22:45 PM EDT
Make sure the firing pin ain't broke already brah!

A Ciener firing pin is of shitty design and you can expect a short lifespan.

Mine broke, and went full auto!

Also make sure the firing pin channel is clean, and and your FP return spring is not all gunked up.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:09:34 PM EDT
Is you hammer stepped? the recommend DPMS style
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:45:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/27/2009 4:46:48 AM EDT by frog5215]
Nah, M1S uses a flat firing pin like a 10/22. Doubt it will ever break.
If it doubles, try single loading. Dry fire afterwards. If the hammer wasn't cocked for the dry fire, you have hammer follow.
Needs a lighter hammer spring and/or a bit clipped off the recoil spring. Clip 1/4" at a time until it quits following.
Make sure the firing pin isn't gunked up and stuck forward.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:21:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/27/2009 7:24:25 AM EDT by scavenger16]
I took my firing pin out and it was not broken , and the spring was not gunked up, and I loaded a single rd in and fired and the hammer worked on the dry fire so I don't have hammer follow, I will shoot about 250 rds today to see what happens, but I think I am having bump fires because it only does this when firing real fast. This upper has never had a failure and I am very pleased with it, and can live with a bump fire now and then. My hammer is not atepped and is standard just like a dpms. Thanks for all of your advice I do appriciate it .
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:32:22 AM EDT
Double tap = SOP
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:38:38 PM EDT
Originally Posted By scavenger16:
I took my firing pin out and it was not broken , and the spring was not gunked up, and I loaded a single rd in and fired and the hammer worked on the dry fire so I don't have hammer follow, I will shoot about 250 rds today to see what happens, but I think I am having bump fires because it only does this when firing real fast. This upper has never had a failure and I am very pleased with it, and can live with a bump fire now and then. My hammer is not atepped and is standard just like a dpms. Thanks for all of your advice I do appriciate it .

Shoot a round, eject the next round without firing it and inspect for any signs of premature firing pin contact.
Check the bolt for excessive side-side or up/down slop in case you're getting slam fires. It'd be interesting if you could capture one of the empties from when the gun does a doubletap. Maybe there would be something different about the dent on the rim?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:07:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:37:25 PM EDT
thanks I will try that and I like that spikes would give me advice on a product that isn't their own, next purchase will be spikes,as I hear nothing but good about their service
Top Top