Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 4/24/2014 1:58:51 PM EDT
So from my last post I decided to get a melonite barrel cause it seems best for what I will be using it for. Now my question is what are some good sites to look them up and find them? I am still new to finding ar-15 sites to look that up so any sites that have them would we really helpful.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:03:29 PM EDT
MAS Defense, CMMG...
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:11:08 PM EDT
S and w 15 sport has a melonite barrel.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:20:54 PM EDT
Both Midway and PSA have Voodoo melonited barrels, usually in the $180-200 range.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:12:26 PM EDT
The online store has nitride barrels. I bought a 16" heavy and shoot 1 MOA with factory loads and would buy another and they are on sale for $119.00
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:23:06 PM EDT
Only slightly OT, but for the folks that buy a melonite barrel it's very on topic.

I asked this question here a couple of months ago, but never got a reply. So here it is again.

With the lugs on the barrel extension being melonite treated, it would seem to me that the bolt lugs would have to be melonited too ? Otherwise if the melonite treatment is as hard ad they say, it would seem the barrel extension would "chew up " the bolt lugs in no time. Which would necessitate buying a melonite treated BCG also, true, or false ?

I had wanted to build a melonite rifle, but couldn't get enough solid information to make me feel comfortable. Besides that, I had a brand New Armalite complete upper, so I decided it made more sense to finish the Armalite first.

TIA

Bang-Flop
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:36:02 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bang-Flop:
Only slightly OT, but for the folks that buy a melonite barrel it's very on topic.

I asked this question here a couple of months ago, but never got a reply. So here it is again.

With the lugs on the barrel extension being melonite treated, it would seem to me that the bolt lugs would have to be melonited too ? Otherwise if the melonite treatment is as hard ad they say, it would seem the barrel extension would "chew up " the bolt lugs in no time. Which would necessitate buying a melonite treated BCG also, true, or false ?

I had wanted to build a melonite rifle, but couldn't get enough solid information to make me feel comfortable. Besides that, I had a brand New Armalite complete upper, so I decided it made more sense to finish the Armalite first.

TIA

Bang-Flop
View Quote

No, not not necessary. If your theory were true, there would be high numbers if early failures of bcg's. Ain't happening. I've been running a melonite barrel for about 1,500 rounds now and see no evidence of bcg wear. I realize that is a low round count, but no one is reporting a problem.

Top Top