Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2004 4:28:38 PM EDT
Hello,

Looking at doing a build for a varmint/coyote rifle.  Buddy of mine has all the tools and has done a couple in the past; seems like a neat way to get an upper w/ just the features I want.

The first part I'm trying to nail down 'what to get' is the barrel.  This gun is going to be carried some, so the truck-axle 'varmint barrel's I've seen on a lot of models such as those from RRA and DPMS, even in 16", are a bit much.  I'm thinking something more like a 18" version of the V-Match that Bushmaster uses, except I'm not really into chrome-lined bores.  Actually, something even a little heavier would be nice, but not a big deal.  

Short of ordering a custom pipe from Pac-Nor or Krieger, is there any other place that sells medium-heavy varmint type barrels (fast twist i.e. 1-7" or 1-8" preferred)?  What about taking a 20" NM type barrel and having a gunsmith bob 2" off of it and re-crown?  Any issues w/ the port pressures going from 20 to 18"?

Thanks,

Monte
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top