Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/19/2008 1:52:26 PM EDT
not wuite sure where this thread should be so i put it here. if i wanted to make a target to shoot at, what thickness metal should i buy? i guess my biggest gun is a 8mm mauser. ill probably rig it to be a swinging target that hangs. if that matters. thanks.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:58:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Please be VERY careful building steel targets
Distance, steel hardness, weldments, etc. all come into play for safe use.

There are many reputable manufacturers online - review what materials they are using and follow suit.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, you can't just go down to the steel yard and get some 1 inch plate. It will work for a few rounds, then it will punch through. You've got to get the hardened stuff.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:22:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Anybody see that You-Tube video of the guy shooting a .50 BMG off of a bench at a steel plate way downrange, and the bullet ricochets off the plate, bounces off the ground in front of the bench, and nails the guy in the head?  (Luckily it was pretty well spent by the time it hit him....just knocked him on his butt and gave him a pretty good contusion.)
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:59:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Here’s a link to a GD post about steel targets, you might find some information in here.
Steel
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 8:45:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I have been making steel targets for a while. I use 3/8" AR400 plate, washers, 3/4" nipples, and round stock. Bend the rod for 2 legs and cut a length for the top and also some to attach the circle and nipples to. Cut the hard plate in circles and weld some of the round stock to. Then weld the round stock to the nipples slide the nipples  in between washers onto the round stock and weld the washers in place leaving the nipples free to swing. Last weld the lefs on and shoot. Sometimes I hard surface the plates for more meat.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top