Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/1/2003 6:32:28 PM EDT
I was firing my AR and the bottom blew out of the mag. Bullets, spring and follower went flying (downward).  I was able to remove the upper reveiver from the lower.  The bolt is stuck firmly in the upper.  I can see the star shape at the front of the bolt. I have been using wd40 to lubricate the bolt.  But nothing will free up the bolt.  Would someone tell me how to free up the bolt without doing damage.

thanks
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 4:49:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Couple of questions.
Is it just the bolt, or carrier as well?
Is there a bullet still lodged in the barrel? Check by seeing if a wood dowel will go all the way to bolt face.
What type of ammo, and how many rounds fired before this happened?
What manufacture of upper?
From the sound of what you discribe, it could have been a overpressure in the chamber that caused this, and may require a AR specific gunsmith to fix and check for other damage.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 4:58:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a bushmaster rifle.  I fired about 30 rnds before this happened using reloaded ammo.  yes there is a spent shell in the chamber.  not sure what the charging handle is.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#3]
You should read technical note 49 at: http://www.armalite.com/.  

It could be the extractor is bent out preventing the bolt from disengaging the barrel extension.

Also take a look at "the dangers of cheap ammo" at: http://www.bushmaster.com/faqs/troubleshootingfaqs.asp#10
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top