Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2003 5:21:25 AM EDT
i am considering building my first ar-15 and i was interested to see what forged lower receiver was reccomended. i have looked at rock river, olympic and eagle arms and i cannot decide. please feel free to give any suggestions.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 5:27:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Any forged receiver by the top companies, which you mentioned, should suit you well.  CMMG has some very good DPMS forged lowers for cheap, and I've seen ads for Eagle Arms lowers on this site.

Definatley go with forged, no matter what you do.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 1:11:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey CB
Welcome to the site, I see this is your first post. [wave] Any of the lowers  mentioned will serve you well for many years. Good Luck and Welcome again to the site

SaFe ShOoTiNg
Jerry [):)]
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 4:04:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a strong preference for PWA forged lowers.  They are no longer in production, but there are still MANY new and used ones around.  Their quality is as good as any of the current "big names".
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 4:30:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome, cajunboy.

Link Posted: 7/17/2003 11:35:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all of your suggestions. i am going to a gun show in a few weeks and i will more than likely pick one up there or just order one online.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 2:10:23 AM EDT
[#6]
DPMS Teflon coats their receivers on top of the anodizing to give it a more wear resistant and smoother finish.  Rock River mirror polishes their receivers before anodizing to give their receivers theat smoother finish.  

If a slicker look is important to you, take a look at those two.  However, those are only cosmetic improvements and they are the same as any of the top brands.  Good luck with your project and keep us posted!
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 3:21:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to the site, cajunboy.  Like the others have said, any of the major makers should be ok.  My recomondation is RRA.  I built one with their lowers and it is top notch.  Legal Transfers (Pete-in-NH) on this site handles RRA products and super good service.  Check in the EE or in the Industry forum.

[wave]
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 4:24:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Picking up a lower (or three) at a gunshow will be alot easier than ordering over the internet.  To order online, you must have the lower shipped to an FFL holder, who will charge you for the service.

Unless you have a friendly, local FFL guy, this can be a PITA.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 5:36:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Whichever you can get the cheapest/easiest, out of the RRA, Eagle, or DPMS, will be fine.  I've got a RRA, and 4 Eagles...I can't really see any difference between them in term of finish, and they've all be very reliable so far.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 1:32:03 PM EDT
[#10]
i have a local ffl that does transfers for $10 so that is no big deal. what about stinger? i have seen a few of these lately for under $90
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 3:13:52 PM EDT
[#11]
The Stinger/Megas a quite popular, the price is certainly right, and I've heard nothing but good things about them from the folks here who've gotten them.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 3:58:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Try RRA stripped lower from Eagle Firearms([email protected]) I purchased a lower($92) and parts kit($52) assembled, priority shipping ($5). I don't know how long he can do this, but he has done me well.

Welcome to the board!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top