Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2006 6:23:33 AM EDT
I lost what I think is the "detent spring" between butctock and retaining plate when I was swapping my folder for an A2 fullsize stock, is my weapon still usable?Where could I get a replacement?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:37:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I lost mine the first time I swapped stocks years ago, most shops willc arry them for around 2 bucks!
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:01:25 AM EDT
[#2]
You can still use your AR for target shooting without the detent spring, but make sure the pin or detent don't fall out and get lost too.  All that spring does is hold tension on the little metal detent that holds in the rear takedown pin.  You'll notice the pin is loose now and can slide in and out easily, so make sure your AR doesn't vibrate the pin out while shooting.

I'd just wait and get a replacement spring if I were you, unless I HAD to shoot the AR now.  You can get a kit of all the AR springs that wear out or get lost like this one:
www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=496298
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:17:40 AM EDT
[#3]
The only purpose for this little bugger is to hold the buffer back while you tear it down.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:33:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe I said the wrong spring, the detent and detent plunger hold the buffer assembly in the tube? I was talking about the itty bitty spring the presses against the butstock plate, the one that fits into the receiver and presses against the butstock, or the plate when you have a sliding stock plate installed.Oh hell im confused now ~lol~
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:37:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:37:42 AM EDT
[#6]
In reading in the post about assembling a lower, it says its a "takedown" spring...now were getting somewhere...sorry about the miss label on the spring..FNG all the way ~lol~....but I can build a FAL ...doesnt that make yall feel safe.....
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:39:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Maybe I said the wrong spring, the detent and detent plunger hold the buffer assembly in the tube? I was talking about the itty bitty spring the presses against the butstock plate, the one that fits into the receiver and presses against the butstock, or the plate when you have a sliding stock plate installed.Oh hell im confused now ~lol~

No, you were right.  The post directly above yours is not related to your issue.  The buffer detent and spring are the parts up INSIDE the receiver that fit down in that little hole to hold back the buffer inside the stock buffer tube (actually called a receiver extension).  That's not what you lost - you lost the rear takedown detent spring.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Cool, its nice to know im not a complete dumbass ~lol~...welll scratch that ..........
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:09:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Little hint. Pick up some extra springs and detents. You can order them form several places. I would get 2 of each. Take down detents. Spring (you lost). Selector detent and spring. 1 Buffer tube detent and 1 spring. These are all parts that at one time or another I have had gone balistic when working on my AR's. Keep in a small bag in Pistol grip if you got a sorage conpartment. PK firarms has a exploded view of the upper and lower small parts. I have spending $6 shipping for a .50cent part. Might get some extra for a raineyday.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:44:47 PM EDT
[#10]
ronin,

I'll look in my parts box. I may have several left from builds and trades. IM or email me.

buckmeister
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:17:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Also you can tap that hole and put a small set screw in to lock that spring in to place if you want.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:22:28 AM EDT
[#12]
I have "heard" of people taking the spring out of a bic lighter that hold the flint in and making it work.  You might have to shorten it some, I'm not sure.  Either way spare parts are your friend when dealing with ar15's.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:30:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Here is the link to Brownells parts page. Part no. 20.

Brownells
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:06:44 AM EDT
[#14]
If you havent got one yet IM me and I'll mail you one.  I have tons in my spares kits.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:37:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If you havent got one yet IM me and I'll mail you one.  I have tons in my spares kits.

I forget who it was who told me but they were going to do that for me.  I ended up finding some at a gun show.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top