Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/23/2011 5:40:12 PM EDT
I was cleaning my rifle today after my first time with it at the range yesterday and I noticed the three rings on the bolt seem to have expanded and they are now loose around the bolt.  They arent coming off the bolt but are not tight and each of the rings have a gap in them.  I cleaned the gun a few days before the trip to the range since it was new and I dont think the rings were loose then.  So I'm just curious if this is normal that they've expanded.  I had no problems at the range.  Shot 120 rounds.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 5:58:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was cleaning my rifle today after my first time with it at the range yesterday and I noticed the three rings on the bolt seem to have expanded and they are now loose around the bolt.  They arent coming off the bolt but are not tight and each of the rings have a gap in them.  I cleaned the gun a few days before the trip to the range since it was new and I dont think the rings were loose then.  So I'm just curious if this is normal that they've expanded.  I had no problems at the range.  Shot 120 rounds.

The rings are suppose to be loose in that they should be able to move around the bolt in a circular fashion and each being able to do so independent of the other rings.  The gaps in each ring, if that's what your talking about, are suppose to there, that's how they are able to be installed around the bolt and also changed if needed.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#2]
oh ok thanks, I guess i just didnt realize they were loose the first time i cleaned it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 6:06:22 PM EDT
[#3]
One test to determine if they're too worn, is to extend the bolt from the carrier and set it bolt down on something.

The full weight of the carrier should be supported.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 6:11:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I actually did that today and it stayed up so I was relieved but what do the rings do, and what wears them out?
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 6:13:32 PM EDT
[#5]
They isolate the gas chamber in the bolt carrier from the bolt body, excepting the tail.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks a lot for the info!
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 6:26:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Take your bolt out, insert the bolt in you carrier, leave the cam pin out.  Push and pull the bolt in and out of the carrier.  You'll notice at one point there is a bit of resistance when your doing that.  The gas rings are causing that and as noted above are there to create the seal needed in order to function properly.  The rings wear out over time as you can imagine they get worn as the bolt cycles in and out of the carrier.  But generally it takes a lot of rounds before they wear out.  Always good to have a spare set of 3 rings though.  The next time you place an order for something for your rifle add a set or two of rings to your order.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 6:28:00 PM EDT
[#8]
they're like the rings around the pistons in your car

when you insert the bolt into the carrier, they compress and close those gaps
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 6:24:09 AM EDT
[#9]
When cleaning your bolt, be sure the gaps in those rings are not aligned, they have to be staggered.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 7:41:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
When cleaning your bolt, be sure the gaps in those rings are not aligned, they have to be staggered.

Not at all.They move with every shot.

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 9:51:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

myth
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 10:04:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
One test to determine if they're too worn, is to extend the bolt from the carrier and set it bolt down on something.

The full weight of the carrier should be supported.

BTW this is done with a clean and unlubed carrier group, or at least in the military it was.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:35:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I believe Armalite even said that the AR10 can be fired without rings just fine.  I can not find it at the moment.  Might not have been armalite.

However I am not sure if a AR15 will work.

edit:  I cant find it
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:41:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top