Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/3/2005 7:02:24 PM EDT
I was assembling my upper today and when I put the free float ube on the reciever I couldn't tighten it enough to go to the next hole. I loosened it to go back to the last hole and assembled it. Now it feels like its too loose. How can i get it to go to the next gas tube hole? Whan i was trying to grt it to go to the next hole i broke my strap wrench. Any ideas? By the way im using a bushmaster one piece aluminum free float tube.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:51:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/3/2005 8:52:49 PM EDT by Dace]
When you are tightening the nut down, you sometimes have to tighten, loosen, tighten, loosen, tighten, etc. All in consectutive order. The nut will move a little bit further each time. I have no idea why this works, its just does. You will break parts/tools if you try to tighten it once and keep going to get it aligned. You have to do the tighten, back off, tighten, back off, etc.

Also never ever tighten the barrel but then loosen it and leave it that way. Always tighten and then stop. Never tighten then back off the nut to get it to line up.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:48:38 PM EDT
You can also heat the threaded end of the alum. FF to allow thermal expansion, which will make installation easier. Use a heat gun, not a torch.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:52:11 PM EDT
Ok I finally got it the upper assembled. I worked back and forth for a while then heated it and got it tightened down enough. Now if somwbody lets me know who hosts pics and how to post them I will post pics of my first build. Thanks for the advice on getting my upper assembled.
Top Top