Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/20/2004 2:48:56 PM EDT
Is it normal for there to be a little play (I mean very little) with the factory handguards on my brand new Colt LE6920?  Is this something that I should try to correct or not worry about at all?  In what way if any do you think this may affect it's performance or accuracy?

EDITED FOR COLT BASHERS - I apologize in advance for being an ass here with what I'm about to say:  I had a feeling this post was going to bring all the Colt bashers out.  Please don't respond back to tell me how tight your XYZ-BRAND AR's handguards are.  I really don't care.  I am only curious if this is unusual for Colts, and if it's something I should be concerned about or try to have corrected.  It's not like having tight handguards makes a rifle any better, so for those of you who think this is an opportunity to proclaim your AR brand's superiority over Colt, please move on to another post.  You probably would have bought a Colt if you could afford it.  Don't give me your crap about XYZ brand standing behind their customers either.  You bought an XYZ AR because it was cheaper and that's it.  Once again, sorry for being an ass.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:14:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#2]
NOT on a BUSHMASTER!

mine is still as tight as hell
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:37:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Bushmaster Barrel Assembly with Bushmaster A2 handguards.

There is SO MUCH SLOP that the delta ring rotates with the handguards (but the barrel, barrel nut, upper/lower receivers are tight...)

Then again it was a Pre-Ban 24" NM HBAR - I don't think the demand was high because Bushmaster shipped it out the same day I ordered it (about a few days after the ban expired). My guess is that its a very old assembly they had in stock.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:39:10 PM EDT
[#4]
My Bushy handgards remind me of a virgin..............
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:17:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Colt Hbar match I have is REALLY tight, zero movement.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:21:23 PM EDT
[#6]
They all rotate a little bit depending on the tightness of the snap ring and spring.All my handguards do the same thing even on new rifles.Some rifles have zero play but through use and taking them off and putting them back on things will loosen a bit,dont worry its normal with all ARs.As long as its the delta ring and not the nut your fine.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:35:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I have 4 Colt uppers right now, and have owned many in the past. MOST will have some play in them, varying from example to example. One of the aforementioned 4, does NOT have any significant play. Seems to be very tight and the most difficult to remove. None of the others are loose enough to rattle.

As long as they don't move enough to rattle, I wouldn't worry a lot about it. If they do, I'm sure there are tricks to tighten them. Someone will know.

Lonny
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:39:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Don't give me your crap about XYZ brand standing behind their customers either. You bought an XYZ AR because it was cheaper and that's it.

Colt's a great rifle, but let's not pretend they support our RKBA in any signifcant fashion.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:42:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
EDITED FOR COLT BASHERS - I apologize in advance for being an ass here with what I'm about to say:  I had a feeling this post was going to bring all the Colt bashers out.  Please don't respond back to tell me how tight your XYZ-BRAND AR's handguards are.  I really don't care.  I am only curious if this is unusual for Colts, and if it's something I should be concerned about or try to have corrected.  It's not like having tight handguards makes a rifle any better, so for those of you who think this is an opportunity to proclaim your AR brand's superiority over Colt, please move on to another post.  You probably would have bought a Colt if you could afford it.  Don't give me your crap about XYZ brand standing behind their customers either.  You bought an XYZ AR because it was cheaper and that's it.  Once again, sorry for being an ass.

Man.... how is this possible.  Something wrong on a Colt?  No way!  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Normal

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#11]
all AR handguards, Colt AND others, will have some play to a degree, on my Colt upper it's feels very tight but it will still move if I exert enough force on it.

Handguards aren't made to the exact dimension so the play will vary.

And no you weren't being an ass for posting that message, I'm also very tired of seeing people bashing Colt at every chance they get, you start by asking a specific question on handguards and they give you a run down of their opinion regarding Colt and RKBA instead or just how Colt "sux" with no real basis.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:56:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Colt Blue Label?  ROCK solid handguards.  Past Bushmaster, slight slop.  RRA also, slight slop.  Think its hit or miss, but some movement is not objectionable...
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:07:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Don't give me your crap about XYZ brand standing behind their customers either.  You bought an XYZ AR because it was cheaper and that's it.  Once again, sorry for being an ass.

Oh plllleaseeeeeeee
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:12:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Is there anything I can do to tighten them up? It looks like if I can somehow bend the triangular piece at the FSB it might tighten it up.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:24:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Try a piece of para cord or flat piece of nylon webbingonb front of the handguard as a shim between the guard and end cap.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes, and this is easy.  Get some hi-temp black silicone.  You can get this at auto parts stores, used for gasketing on water pumps, differentials, valve covers, etc.  Put a few small spots in the groove that fits onto the barrel nut, and on the front where it will engage with the handguard cap.  DO NOT wipe any ooze, let it dry.  Then cut the ooze with a sharp knife and peel it off.  When it dries, your handguards will be firm, and still be easily removable.  You may have to replace the silicone in the future.  No big deal.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:39:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
My Bushy handgards remind me of a virgin..............

My Colt SP1 CAR remind me too!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:47:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Silicone,Damn good idea
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:54:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Thank you for enlightening me as to my less than Colt class status... When I go to the range I can only afford to shoot 10 rounds, each time... It is hell being so poor and seeing you rich folks enjoying your Colt rifles... One day I hope to be able to afford a Colt, but for now its hot dogs for diner and I will have to be content shooting my 12 less than Colt brand ARs' Have pity on me!  PS What will they say next?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:06:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Thank you for enlightening me as to my less than Colt class status... When I go to the range I can only afford to shoot 10 rounds, each time... It is hell being so poor and seeing you rich folks enjoying your Colt rifles... One day I hope to be able to afford a Colt, but for now its hot dogs for diner and I will have to be content shooting my 12 less than Colt brand ARs' Have pity on me!  PS What will they say next?

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:29:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Maybe if you sold those 12, you could afford some ammo and a REAL rifle..

Sorry, COULDN'T resist....

Lonny
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:00:42 PM EDT
[#22]
eletrical tape fixes that
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:08:45 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
eletrical tape fixes that

You mean "Ranger Tape" for the Colt-less status shooter?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:02:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You probably would have bought a Colt if you could afford it.  

What a dick

Yes it is normal on all rifles
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:40:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Lonny

Lonny, I know you think this is funny but reality bites... I had to use food stamps to buy my last three ARs'. Also, Colt is the only major manufacturer that does not allow food stamp purchases. I just  hate being an underprivileged  non-real-rifle person... I am actually thinking about switching to regular gas in my CTS to afford the status of a REAL rifle... Oops did I say that... Please sympathize.. Arnie
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:59:39 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
You probably would have bought a Colt if you could afford it.

Oh man, I missed that statement!

You are REALLY trying to turn this into a Colt bashing party... arent you.... with statements like that!  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:21:31 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Lonny

Lonny, I know you think this is funny but reality bites... I had to use food stamps to buy my last three ARs'. Also, Colt is the only major manufacturer that does not allow food stamp purchases. I just  hate being an underprivileged  non-real-rifle person... I am actually thinking about switching to regular gas in my CTS to afford the status of a REAL rifle... Oops did I say that... Please sympathize.. Arnie

You think THAT's tough, try being retired and working part time in a gunshop.

One that DOESN'T take food stamps.

Lonny
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:33:05 AM EDT
[#28]
I am just in awe being able to share some of the same bandwidth as some of the guys here with Colts.  It really give me a lot of pleasure to read about those wonderful rifles called "Colt - The Real AR15"  I would trade my meager 4 bushmasters just to own one colt.  You colt guys ROCK........

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top