Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/17/2006 8:17:15 AM EDT
I just finished and tested my first build a dpms lower and a car 15 kit from model one.  Everything worked great.  Now I'm think of building an informal target rifle.  I'm looking at a flat top with an improved trigger (probably a jewel) and a nice target scope.  I want to make it as heavy as I can.  I'll probably add the stock weight not sure about forend weights since it will be a free floated forearm.  Are there any bull barrels that are longer than 24 inches or wider than .920- inches?  Is their any other way weight could be added with out changeing the shape of the rifle much?  I would like to get it close to 20 pounds if at all possibly but 15 will probably be all I can come up with.  Any ideas?  I would like the upper to be completely assembled also.

Thanks Mike H
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:22:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I did have a very heavy AR years ago, someone made a FF tube out of .250" wall steel tubing.  That one was really heavy.  It had a 26" Kreiger barrel also.

Cheers,

Phil
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:22:30 AM EDT
[#2]
jprifles.com (Good start for Target Barrel)
24"  1/9  Heavy Weight  JPSM-24HK9T  $499.00

Not sure exactly how heavy it is.  I doubt you'll find something longer than 24 inches unless you go completely custom.  If you got the money that JP Heavy Weight 24 incher is a good start.

YMMV

-Moco
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:27:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I dont think you would need a barrel out past 24"
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:30:40 PM EDT
[#4]
DPMS makes what they call a "Super Bull" barrel.  24" in length, 1.14" under handguard, 1.08" at muzzle.  have to use their FF tube forend (but is included in the price).  weight is a very hefty 7lb-3 oz., stainless, 1/9" twist.

ETA: link to it at Brownells  Super Bull
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top