Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 12/27/2005 8:07:14 AM EDT
Everyone is saying that green loctite is a high temp and high strength threadlocker....Which one is everyone talking about because all the information I have found is that it is considered a medium strength cement and similar melting points as red.....
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:02:12 AM EDT
there is a green that comes with alexander arms beowulf brakes.

industrial stuff and will probably have to be ordered online. also understand that to remove anything with green loctite on it must be destroyed.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:10:13 AM EDT
anyone know the actual product number for green?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:58:30 AM EDT
If your talking about the Loctite 290 wicking, it is not permenant and can be removed fairly easily. I use it on my front sight bases/set screws.

loctite part#: 290xxx
permatex part#: xxxx290

it is meant to be used on parts that are already assembled.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:06:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/27/2005 12:11:22 PM EDT by Dano523]
290 Green light bond and tool removable, Use with the parts together (better wicking).
242 Blue stonger bond, but still tool removable, use before installing the parts (if used after parts are together, it's not as stong as green).
271 Red very stong bond, and heat will needed to use to break the bond before tool removal, use before installing the parts togther (read as stong as superglueing the parts togther).

www.action-electronics.com/loctite.htm
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:39:56 PM EDT
but isnt there supposed to be a green one that is permanent with high temp resistence?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:09:40 PM EDT
Let me look and see what I have down at the shop, its made for slip fit joints. But, it can and is used for thread locking also.

Weazer
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:13:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By drabchoi:
but isnt there supposed to be a green one that is permanent with high temp resistence?

Loctite High Strength Sleeve Retainer is also green. It's designed to hold the new cylinder walls in sleeved engines. This stuff is serious pooky. Not to be pissed around with unless you are absolutely frickin certain you're never taking it apart again.

from the back of the package-

Loctite Blue threadlocker- 115 inch lb break 300 F max temp

Loctite Red threadlocker- 230 inch lb break 300 F max temp

Loctite High Strength Sleeve Retainer (automotive grade) 3000 psi shear strength 400 F

I sell it at my Napa store, only because I use it in my machine shop. Not sure about your local retailers stocking it, but a Napa can order it for you. My part number is 765-1149, and I sell it for $8.29 in the small .20 oz container. I don't have the permatex number for it as Napa repackages/numbers it.

Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:41:47 PM EDT
I bought a full from Midwayusa just a couple weeks ago, including the green "wicking grade" loctite. Try there.

While we are on the subject. I'm having a problem with my YHM handguards liking to unscrew itself (I know... common problem). Would loctite Red be too much for that? I had blue on it, but once we got the barrel a little warm, she twisted loose.

Trying to decide, any help would be appreciated, I've used very little loctite in my day, so I'm not sure of the effects.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:11:29 PM EDT
In terms of temperature it looks like the REd 272 is the one to get then..its rated at 450degrees.

In terms of the handguard..try a wider strap wrench or even the nylon type..that should help you torque it down tighter and if you must use locktite..they sell a gel type in blue or red that you can put on ....only put on a corner of the threads...if it flows everywhere then you are going to have fun trying to remove it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:11:40 PM EDT
The stuff we use at work is Loctite #680 Part # 68060 it's green, not sure what the temp range is but, you need lot's of heat and big tools to get things apart.

Weazer
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:49:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By drabchoi:

#640 loctite, and yes it's green.
Top Top