Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/9/2004 8:25:48 AM EST
so this twenty something year old kid working at my local gunshop tells me leo rifles will still be illegal after the 13th due to an excise tax that isn't paid on govt/leo weapons and mags.he say's "everyone else in the country selling them will be breaking the law".....some nerve huh!to my knowledge there is no federal tax on weapons other than nfa 34 regulated firearms and destructive devices,who's right and who's wrong?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:28:11 AM EST
There is an 11% Federal Excise Tax on firearms and LEO guns are exempt so it may be an issue.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:30:27 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/9/2004 8:31:29 AM EST by Mudruck]
Dont remember there ever being a 'tax' on magazines, just whole rifles.

I think the kid was smokin' some liberal hoochie... ;)

Mind tellin' us Utahns what shop that was... dont want to go into a place where the 20something is trying to fill peoples heads with crap.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:31:12 AM EST
wouldn't the tax just be passed on to civilian buyers then?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:32:55 AM EST
Bingo... You got it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:35:28 AM EST
What store?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:39:19 AM EST
without saying directly it was in the 4800-4900 block of redwood road on the right if headed south,normally have a great expirience here....decent store.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:40:35 AM EST
What did he look like? lol
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:43:08 AM EST
can you utah guys recomend a good gunsmith to swap my neutered bushmaster barrel for the real thing on the 14th,already have pre-ban barrel in box.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:47:52 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/9/2004 8:48:09 AM EST by 223semiauto]

Originally Posted By shlby500kr:
can you utah guys recomend a good gunsmith to swap my neutered bushmaster barrel for the real thing on the 14th,already have pre-ban barrel in box.

I called Barlowes gun smiths yesterday and he said it would be 52-80 bucks and 5-8 days to do it. I want to see if any of the utah members just want to help me do it for less.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:48:05 AM EST
As others have said there is an excise tax on all firearms, which is -usually- waved for police. If the weapons were bought by a department then they would have skipped paying the tax to save money. If the weapons were bought by an individual officer then there should have been an excise tax paid.

BTW, there's also no excise tax paid on stripped lowers. So if you've ever bought a stripped lower, assembled it into a compelte rifle, then sold that rifle then you are also guilty of not paying the excise tax. If you have a rifle yo built and you want to sell it, you should remove an item, say the bolt carrier since it is easier for the buyer to replace and install, so that you cannot be cahrged with not paying the tax.

Using that as an example, it becomes clear that there is nothing preventing that shop from selling the uppers and lowers seperately.

One other note, ATF will only accept excise tax payments from licensed manufacturers. If you build your own rifle from a stripped lower and attempt to pay the excise tax, ATF will not accept it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:00:02 AM EST
thanks for all the help guys,appreciate you all clearing things up for me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:09:37 AM EST

Originally Posted By Jetlag:
There is an 11% Federal Excise Tax on firearms and LEO guns are exempt so it may be an issue.

It's not an issue.

Only FFLs 'engaged in the business' are required to pay it, if you build a firearm from a stripped reciever or whatever, you are exempt too...

Oh, and you CAN legally sell them complete, so long as you aren't found to be 'engaging in the business' without a FFL....

You are not reqd to pay excise tax when selling a rifle, ANY rifle, unless you are a FFL....
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:21:58 AM EST

Originally Posted By shlby500kr:
so this twenty something year old kid working at my local gunshop tells me leo rifles will still be illegal after the 13th due to an excise tax that isn't paid on govt/leo weapons and mags.he say's "everyone else in the country selling them will be breaking the law".....some nerve huh!to my knowledge there is no federal tax on weapons other than nfa 34 regulated firearms and destructive devices,who's right and who's wrong?

Oh, next time you go in there count the number of overpriced pre-bans on his shelves...

He's tryin to sell ya somethin...
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:21:37 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/10/2004 4:23:52 AM EST by N8Gunner]
Thanks for the great info !
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:37:13 AM EST
For those of you talking about swapping barrel. DO IT YOURSELF> for the 55-85 dollars your gona pay you could have your OWN tools and do the swap in 20 minutes. How do i know this? Because i did it yesterday!!!! Was gona pay to have it done, the girlfriend asked why i didnt just buy the tools. i said i dont know, and i bought the tools. Tokk the upper to work once i had the gas tube out and stuck it in a vise. Had the new barrel on about 15-20 minutes later and it functiosn flawless. I will never outsource AR work again........... Unless its a special order part of course....

ITS EASY, itll make you laugh at yourself for being a chicken shit once you actualy do it....
Top Top